An Interesting tale

yorky

You have all heard of Diamonds International yes? Well after purchasing items from than in April we have had a problem. We were on the QM2 and went to listen to the port and shopping adviser Gail on the ship and listened to the glowing reports. From this along we naively went to the shop in Barbados and spent our money. Nine weeks later we have a faulty bracelet and guess what ? Diamonds International don't want to know.

So we contact carnival passenger relations to ask for their help only to be told that the shopping adviser does not work for them and they don't receive a penny for the recommendations, she actually works for Diamonds International.

Are we the only people on the planet that thought the shopping advisor's on Princess,Cunard,Carnival actually worked for Carnival cruise lines?

Yes we were daft, call is a mad impulse while on honeymoon but that is certainly news to us.

I generally avoid the highly-advertised places. DI is a chain; I've seen it in every port from the Carib to Mexico. Nice stuff, but I'm not convinced of any bargains there.

Some on this board have had things appraised after their DI purchase--some were happy, some weren't.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Somehow there has to be something exchanged for those companies to be "recommended" by the cruise line. Why aren't they recommending [so and so] on St. Thomas, know what I mean?

If you paid with a credit card, can they help you?

-Lori

You have all heard of Diamonds International yes? Well after purchasing items from than in April we have had a problem. We were on the QM2 and went to listen to the port and shopping adviser Gail on the ship and listened to the glowing reports. From this along we naively went to the shop in Barbados and spent our money. Nine weeks later we have a faulty bracelet and guess what ? Diamonds International don't want to know.

So we contact carnival passenger relations to ask for their help only to be told that the shopping adviser does not work for them and they don't receive a penny for the recommendations, she actually works for Diamonds International.

Are we the only people on the planet that thought the shopping advisor's on Princess,Cunard,Carnival actually worked for Carnival cruise lines?

Yes we were daft, call is a mad impulse while on honeymoon but that is certainly news to us.

I'm not getting this, you were on the QM2 and you called Carnival? Did you call Cunard, which is the holder of the reservation? Maybe the folks at Cunard will be more accomodating since you booked with them but it appears your beef is with DI and they are indeed a separate entity. However, that said, if DI was a recommended vendor, Cunard, not Carnival may be able to help in this case, i do not know for sure, would need to check if it was indeed a recommended vendor for Cunard.

In the ticket contract/terms and conditions of all cruise companies, there is a section very well laid out that explains that ALL vendors onboard are sub-contracted and are not in any way attached to the cruiseline.

This contract advises that cruise companies make no recommendations and if there is a problem, it must be worked out with the vendor.

Unfortunately, most people don't bother to read what they have agreed to by reserving a cruise.....until a problem crops up.

Be persistent with DI; that's the only thing that will pay off. The cruise company can't intervene and can't help you. The only relationship they have with DI is the contractual agreement between them concerning the right to have a shop onboard and the fees DI and others pay for that privilege.

In the ticket contract/terms and conditions of all cruise companies' date=' there is a section very well laid out that explains that[b'] ALL vendors onboard[/b] are sub-contracted and are not in any way attached to the cruiseline.

This contract advises that cruise companies make no recommendations and if there is a problem, it must be worked out with the vendor.

Unfortunately, most people don't bother to read what they have agreed to by reserving a cruise.....until a problem crops up.

Be persistent with DI; that's the only thing that will pay off. The cruise company can't intervene and can't help you. The only relationship they have with DI is the contractual agreement between them concerning the right to have a shop onboard and the fees DI and others pay for that privilege.

Thank's I must admit I did not read that although for Cunard to say they don't receive a penny is surely wrong. Just for the others posters I contacted customer relations at Cunard, I only mentioned Carnival corps because obviously they are the owners and as it's a Princess thread and we also cruise with princess I thought it might be of interest.

Out of interst she wore a Cunard polo shirt and Cunard name tag the whole cruise. Surely a bit naughty.

Back in 2003 I had purchased a ring for my wife from DI. We had a problem with the ring shortly after returning and I contacted DI's home office in NY. They provided some of the best customer service I've ever experienced in my life. They answered all my questions in a timely manner, gave me explicit instructions on how to send the ring to them in NY, repaired the ring and shipped it back with no problems whatsoever. I dealt with one customer service rep during the entire process. At the end when I got the ring back from them he even called to make sure everything was corrected to my satisfaction. Unless they've gone way downhill or you're demanding something out of line I don't see them having that kind of attitude. At least not from my personal experience. Have you contacted their customer service at the home office???

Bob

p.s. For those who say there are no deals there. My wifes ring appraised here in the States for nearly 50% more than I paid for it at DI.

I'm sorry you had that experience. My recommendation is that if you do purchase jewelry while on a cruise, take it immediately to a local jeweler you trust and have them check the catches, prongs (if it's a ring), etc.

FYI, I haven't seen a port shopping talk nor "recommended" shops on port information sheets for at least a couple of years. All of the port talks have been about the sights, history, etc. and sometimes, they'll tell you what to avoid in the way of shopping but I haven't heard one recommend a store in ages.

Thank's I must admit I did not read that although for Cunard to say they don't receive a penny is surely wrong. Just for the others posters I contacted customer relations at Cunard, I only mentioned Carnival corps because obviously they are the owners and as it's a Princess thread and we also cruise with princess I thought it might be of interest.

Out of interst she wore a Cunard polo shirt and Cunard name tag the whole cruise. Surely a bit naughty.

That is VERY interesting that she wore a Cunard shirt and especially name tag.

So, in the original post you stated that Cunard (I am reading between the lines since you have updated saying you spoke with Cunard) has said that she did not work for Cunard, yet she presented herself as working for Cunard by wearing a shirt and name tag......in that case, I would be interested to know if Cunard allows this misrepresentation or you were given misinformation. I realize this is an aside, but it certainly caused you to place a certain amount of trust in that person that you otherwise might not have when choosing the vendor.

A little sideways but hubby bought me a beautiful ring in St Thomas one year and the second time I wore it lost one of the emeralds. I was so p$%#@d and so was DH but we had the last laugh! booked the same trip exactly one year later, took the ring back to where we had bought it, and they very quickly had it repaired!! O.K. DH was a little persuasive!! So if you are really upset and can't get any satisfaction just book another trip and do some yelling at the salesperson you bought the item from!

Unless it's an insurance appraisal done by your insurance company, appraisals for jewelry are pretty useless. If forced to sell that piece of jewelry, you're not gonna get anywhere near the price of the "appraisal". Oftentimes, an appraiser will ask you what you want the price to be listed as.

Back in 2003 I had purchased a ring for my wife from DI. We had a problem with the ring shortly after returning and I contacted DI's home office in NY. They provided some of the best customer service I've ever experienced in my life. They answered all my questions in a timely manner, gave me explicit instructions on how to send the ring to them in NY, repaired the ring and shipped it back with no problems whatsoever. I dealt with one customer service rep during the entire process. At the end when I got the ring back from them he even called to make sure everything was corrected to my satisfaction. Unless they've gone way downhill or you're demanding something out of line I don't see them having that kind of attitude. At least not from my personal experience. Have you contacted their customer service at the home office???

Bob

p.s. For those who say there are no deals there. My wifes ring appraised here in the States for nearly 50% more than I paid for it at DI.

We have spoken with the home office in New York on two occasions. On both of these they have promised to phone us back and have failed to do so. They have also ignored an E-mail sent to them. Given we purchased goods to the vajue of $6000 that's poor in my book.

So, in the original post you stated that Cunard (I am reading between the lines since you have updated saying you spoke with Cunard) has said that she did not work for Cunard, yet she presented herself as working for Cunard by wearing a shirt and name tag......in that case, I would be interested to know if Cunard allows this misrepresentation or you were given misinformation. I realize this is an aside, but it certainly caused you to place a certain amount of trust in that person that you otherwise might not have when choosing the vendor.

You have hit the nail on the head. At no time did she state she worked for DI and was wearing the Cunard logo.

To allow a vendor to come on board, wear a name tag with your logo, hold sessions in your lounges to sell a product, and then to expect to escape responsibility because you publish some small print in contract saying they are not connected is beyond misleading to the point of being dishonest.

Personally I never buy anything of value on a cruise ship or from any outfit recommended while on a cruise ship. From the on-board shops, to the art auctions, to the chain store outlets at the ports, they are all not to be trusted, and almost certainly will not give you the best deals.

I also agree with an earlier comment. Jewelry appraisals are usually overstated by at least 100%. The industry term is appraised for "insurance purposes" - meaning what you hope your insurance company will pay you if you lose it, certainly not what the appraising jeweler would pay you for the item. Try sometime to ask the jeweler what he would pay you for the item and see what price you get.

Did the shopping lecturer only push Diamonds International or other shops too? I don't recall lecturers only hyping one store. They usually have several different stores they "recommend".

I have always believed they were employed by the cruise line and the line received kickbacks.

My daughter who was 18 at the time bought herself a beautiful necklace at a recommened store. She spent her hard earned 250.00 on it. When we showed it to the on board shopper(the lady who did the shore talks) she gave my daughter a form to fill out and we kept a copy and gave her a copy. She said that way if something went wrong we could contact Carnival as well as the store and they would guarantee to fix it? I don't know if it actually works because we haven't had problems, but I do know that usually a recommened store wants to help because of the business of the cruise ships. I would keep on Carival and DI to fix it for you.

Did the shopping lecturer only push Diamonds International or other shops too? I don't recall lecturers only hyping one store. They usually have several different stores they "recommend".

I have always believed they were employed by the cruise line and the line received kickbacks.

They did indeed mention other stores but always came back to DI as THE store to purchase, even has interviews with the MD on the in room tv.

To be honest it was our own fault as we should have done our research but I guess they rely a lot on that spur of the moment when on Holiday purchases. I just don't like the sort of underhand way it was done.

We were last in the Caribbean two years ago on Sea Princess and I remember being handed leaflets onboard with certain shops recommended. Diamond International featured on all of them.

It`s hard chasing people up from over here but don`t give up. I would pursue Cunard again.

I had a problem with a bracelet I bought at Diamonds International last MARCH

Long story short I left it with the shopping rep (yes it had been paid for )to get refund but because I got it at a great price suggested I have it fixed instead .

DI called me from St Maarten verified I wanted it fixed ,fixed it sent it by courrierthru New York

.I did have to pay duty .It is beautiful and I do wear it .I did this on Princess but I am sure same service on all lines .I took a chance giving her both bracelet and bill for refund but everything was cool and worked out OK

Good luck

I would call New York again to see if they can help .I would suggest the calm sweet approach .....diplomacy always works better...if you get my drift...

Mich

A few years ago, I bought a gorgeous tanzanite and diamond bracelet at a recommended store in St. Maarten (not DI.) It was supposedly hand-made and unique, and I can believe the latter since I've never seen anything similar. Two nights later was formal night and I wanted to wear my new bracelet. Oppss... the catch completely broke off, without any pressure. The next morning, I took the bracelet and my sales receipt to the CD who took it and made a copy of the receipt. He promised that the next time the ship was in St. Maarten, he would personally return it to the store and have them fix it and send it directly to me. He was true to his word and I wear it on at least one formal night of every cruise. It's still gorgeous. :)

A few years ago, I bought a gorgeous tanzanite and diamond bracelet at a recommended store in St. Maarten (not DI.) It was supposedly hand-made and unique, and I can believe the latter since I've never seen anything similar. Two nights later was formal night and I wanted to wear my new bracelet. Oppss... the catch completely broke off, without any pressure. The next morning, I took the bracelet and my sales receipt to the CD who took it and made a copy of the receipt. He promised that the next time the ship was in St. Maarten, he would personally return it to the store and have them fix it and send it directly to me. He was true to his word and I wear it on at least one formal night of every cruise. It's still gorgeous. :)
Pam, What a great story, thanks for sharing it.

I'm sorry you had that experience. My recommendation is that if you do purchase jewelry while on a cruise, take it immediately to a local jeweler you trust and have them check the catches, prongs (if it's a ring), etc.

FYI, I haven't seen a port shopping talk nor "recommended" shops on port information sheets for at least a couple of years. All of the port talks have been about the sights, history, etc. and sometimes, they'll tell you what to avoid in the way of shopping but I haven't heard one recommend a store in ages.

We have been on more than 10 cruises in the past few years and on every cruise....Diamonds International was mentioned! I've yet to visit them!

I truly dislike a "hard sell!"

Hmmmm - the shopping presentation that we went to (briefly - since we were not in the market for jewellery) certainly left us with the impression that we should shop in the recommended stores, because if there was a problem with something we had purchased, "they" (i.e. the shopping presenter) would be able to help resolve it, whereas if we bought from a "non-recommended" store and there was a problem, they could do nothing.

Seriously, that's what we were told.

The woman hosting the Shopping Presentation was not wearing anything with a Princess logo, so it would be difficult to say who she was employed by. We may have missed it if she had said she wasn't a Princess employee, since we didn't stay for the whole thing (if so, we may be doing her a disservice) but we'd have to say that we came away thinking that she was a Princess employee.

Diamonds International was certainly "pushed" because they were "giving away" a charm bracelet which you picked up in their store at Ketchikan (along with a salmon charm), then you could pick up another charm in Juneau and one in Skagway. Again, we weren't interested so couldn't tell you whether it was a nice bracelet or not - when we shopped in the ports, it was for things made in Alaska.

We were also told that some of the stores were owned by the cruise lines - don't know how true this is?

Yorky, I'm sorry you've had this experience - do keep pushing DI and Cunard. Bit late, I know, but I think the answer is always to use Visa or Mastercard,where you have a degree of protection in case of a dispute.

Archived