NOT happy with room assignment on the Imagination 10-3-08

danixbanani

Would be interested to know that also :confused:

You, me and Kermer!

I've always had a choice....that's not to say that someone else's experience couldn't be different.

Like Wennfred, for us, the savings on a guarantee booking normally outweighs the gamble of not choosing our room. We've only gotten a real stinker once.

Except that you are not forced to play the lottery....and the OP said that if he wanted to book an OV he HAD to book an OV guarantee.

So the question is.....why did he HAVE to book a guarantee? Why couldn't he just book a specific OV cabin at a higher rate? Seems like Carnival would prefer that to the cheaper guarantee rate...

Sounds to me like the ship was almost sold out if thats all he had the choice of.

on one of our cruises last year my sister and bil got a room midship lower deck and they loved it..It was close to the elevators and was just around the corner from the gangway.....just go with an open mind, we never spend much time in our room...We booked an inside guarentee on the Spirit next month and this is our 16th Carnival and we got a 4c on deck 6 -2 cabins from the bow.....Dennis

Well, you really only have two room choices on the Imagination... an interior, or a ocean view.

Let's look at the positives:

1) The bottom cabin deck is still 20 feet above the water line.

2) You did save quite a bit of money with a GTY booking.

3) You will probably have a smother cruise ride on the bottom deck than the top deck.

4) Most folks don't spend much time in their cabins anyway.

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise... it's hard not to. :)

ps. there are some very experienced cruisers who have never received an upgrade when booking a GTY cabin. And others have received upgrades without ever booking a GTY room. It's a total crap shoot.

I'll add my 2 cents to the above advantages...you're CLOSER to the water and you never have to wait to get on an elevator. When the elevator gets to your floor, they're always empty.

Personally I like the Riviera Deck, in fact that's what I normally book and I'll only take a room on another deck if I'm getting a free upgrade due to a past guest special.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Sounds to me like the ship was almost sold out if thats all he had the choice of.

I'm trying to understand this, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

The ship is almost sold out. So, you're saying that they only have OV (or better) left, that part I understand. But, doesn't Carnival have some sort of way of knowing which rooms are already assigned and which ones haven't been assigned already? And all they have to do is make sure the number of OV (or better) rooms that are not assigned is at least equal to the number of OV guarantee bookings. If they have 50 currently non-assigned OV rooms, and 35 OV guarantee bookings, it would seem that they could let a person wanting to choose an OV room choose from the 50 non-assigned OV rooms, and then they would have 49 non-assigned OV rooms. Still plenty to hand out to the 35 guarantee bookings. Then the next person that wants to choose their cabin would have the choice of the locations of those 49 non-assigned rooms. When they picked one, then there would be 48 non-assigned rooms, still plenty to hand out to the35 guarantee bookings. They could continue to do this until they only had 35 non-assigned rooms left. Those would be the ones distributed to the guarantee bookings.

Well...anyway, that's the way I would've THOUGHT it worked. But what do I know? I've never worked for Carnival and have no idea what their system is.

I would rather be where you are than on the empress deck with the dining room on my head..... dishes and chairs at 4 am are not a pleasant thing to hear. Have a great time- you aren't at work;)

You know, this got me to thinking. I was super excited about our E223 cabin assignment and bummed about M5 or M6 or whatever it is we have for the next cruise - but the Empress location IS going to be a lot noisier, isn't it? See, it all depends on how you look at it!

You could always bring a white noise machine. I am buying one for this trip to see how well we can tolerate hallway and lower levels. We love to cruise but can't get the spendy rooms with every cruise when we try to do 2 cruises a year.

Did you get located in the back?

I bring my white noise machine on every cruise, along with a supply of earplugs - you just never know when you will be in a noisy location or have loud neighbors. It's well worth it to bring, just in case.

Booking Guarantee allows a person to book a category cabin and hope to be upgraded to a higher category cabin. This is a way to save even more money. If you don't mind where you will end up then go for it, but you will read of some people scoring a Suite while others scoring nothing but the same Category. This is the way I usually go, this Elation cruise in November we booked it as a Cat 4a GTY and we didnt get upgraded at all, its still a Cat 4a located in Riviera Deck.

Its like playing to Lottery.

I've only scored once from a Cat.4a to a Cat 9a onboard the Carnival Spirit and other times they have been like Cat. 1a to a Cat. 5a.

Fred

That does not answer that persons post.He asked why they HAD to book guarantee.

The answer is,because there were no more OV rooms available in the system at that time.They either will wait for final cancellations at final payment time to fill the new available rooms or they will upsell people from OV to BL to make room,therefor guarantee a cabin for the OP.

My neighbor is on a ship as we speak and had that exact thing happen.

He did get a room at the front of the ship,1 up from Rivera.

Steve

We usually book on the Riviera deck also. For me, it is a blessing in disguise. I take the stairs wherever I go and by the end of my cruise I have gained NO weight from all the great food and DODs consumed! Plus, no frustration of waiting for elevators that are full. There is always a silver lining.

Enjoy your cruise!

The answer is,because there were no more OV rooms available in the system at that time.They either will wait for final cancellations at final payment time to fill the new available rooms or they will upsell people from OV to BL to make room,therefor guarantee a cabin for the OP.

I can't figure this out, but it sounds like it makes sense! *LOL*

If you book last minute online, that can be the only choice. But if you call and talk to a real person, you are still able to book a specific room at the last minute. I know, because we've done it both ways in the past.

We have had ocean view cabins on both our cruises on the Riviera deck. We loved them. To pick your cabin, book earlier otherwise it is a crap shoot.

We will be on the Valor November 8, 2009 for the SALUTE TO VETERANS cruise out of Miami. Some of my friends going with me have OV on the Riviera. They are fine:D

If you book last minute online, that can be the only choice. But if you call and talk to a real person, you are still able to book a specific room at the last minute. I know, because we've done it both ways in the past.

Ahhhhh......maybe that's it (online vs. live person).

I booked with a group too late to pick my 8A cabin (there were none left) so it was either pay more for a higher cat or 8A guar (which I knew would be a higher cat). Ended up with 8D (in a location I would not pick for myself, but at least I didnt have to pay for it. Personally, I dont like the mystery of the guar route but I really wanted this trip so I will hope for the best.

[quote name='terri910']I'm trying to understand this, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

The ship is almost sold out. So, you're saying that they only have OV (or better) left, that part I understand. But, doesn't Carnival have some sort of way of knowing which rooms are already assigned and which ones haven't been assigned already? And all they have to do is make sure the number of OV (or better) rooms that are not assigned is at least equal to the number of OV guarantee bookings. If they have 50 currently non-assigned OV rooms, and 35 OV guarantee bookings, it would seem that they could let a person wanting to choose an OV room choose from the 50 non-assigned OV rooms, and then they would have 49 non-assigned OV rooms. Still plenty to hand out to the 35 guarantee bookings. Then the next person that wants to choose their cabin would have the choice of the locations of those 49 non-assigned rooms. When they picked one, then there would be 48 non-assigned rooms, still plenty to hand out to the35 guarantee bookings. They could continue to do this until they only had 35 non-assigned rooms left. Those would be the ones distributed to the guarantee bookings.

Well...anyway, that's the way I would've THOUGHT it worked. But what do I know? I've never worked for Carnival and have no idea what their system is.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the same thing that Firefly is talking about. Close to sail date the ship is almost sold out and all that you could book was OV gty. I don't know why that is but I've seen it.

Bill

[quote name='cuyahoga11']I booked with a group too late to pick my 8A cabin (there were none left) so it was either pay more for a higher cat or 8A guar (which I knew would be a higher cat). Ended up with 8D (in a location I would not pick for myself, but at least I didnt have to pay for it. Personally, I dont like the mystery of the guar route but I really wanted this trip so I will hope for the best.[/quote]

I got lucky like this with a last minute booking on RCL this past spring. I could see only 2 inside cabins availabe four days before cruise date, and they bumped all the inside guarantees to low level OVs that booked last minute and kept those two inside cabins open so they could sell those last minute inside guarantees. Had they dropped the OV price, then folks would have been asking their TAs for a refund, so this was better for RCL to book up those last cabins on the ship.

[quote name='danixbanani']So I finally got a room assignment for this cruise and it's real crappy. I booked a guarantee OV room...not because I wanted to but because that was the only option when booking an OV room. Well, I got the OV room but it's on the BOTTOM OF THE BOAT. How is that an Ocean view? I understand that this can happen with the guaranteed room assignment but...ugh, I'm just not pleased. I know rooms don't really matter but it took them so long to assign me something, I thought I'd get a *little* upgrade! GEESH. I'm a past guest and everything. Even if I could just be one more floor up.

Humph. I'm sure there's not much I can do to change this but should I try anyway?

Thanks,
Danielle[/quote]Let's see...OV guarantee "cabin"......Is it looking at the ocean...Yes....Is it on a lower deck of the ship...ship happens.....;)
You booked a guarantee cabin....it is what it is. I don't complain if I get one that isn't the best...Next time spend the extra 50 bucks and get the one you want......

Yes there is something you can do...Call Carnival and spend the extra money for an upgrade.....

[quote name='Wennfred']Booking Guarantee allows a person to book a category cabin and hope to be upgraded to a higher category cabin. This is a way to save even more money. If you don't mind where you will end up then go for it, but you will read of some people scoring a Suite while others scoring nothing but the same Category. This is the way I usually go, this Elation cruise in November we booked it as a Cat 4a GTY and we didnt get upgraded at all, its still a Cat 4a located in Riviera Deck.

Its like playing to Lottery.

I've only scored once from a Cat.4a to a Cat 9a onboard the Carnival Spirit and other times they have been like Cat. 1a to a Cat. 5a.

Fred[/quote]

Thanx Fred,

I understand why some people choose GTY but OP said "not because I wanted to but because that was the only option when booking an OV room" and that is what I don't understand. Why was that the OP "Only" option.

[quote name='kermer']Thanx Fred,

I understand why some people choose GTY but OP said "not because I wanted to but because that was the only option when booking an OV room" and that is what I don't understand. [B][COLOR=red]Why was that the OP "Only" option[/COLOR][/B].[/quote]No such thing...You can always book a cabin in the catagory you want unless it's sold out.....;)
Maybe the only option because the OP was looking to save money......

[quote name='danixbanani']

[B]Humph. I'm sure there's not much I can do to change this but should I try anyway?[/B]

Thanks,
Danielle[/quote]
Yes, call.
According to Carnival website right now, there are 6D's (at least 10) available for the Oct 3rd sailing, as a free upgrade from 6A for past guests at $169 pp (plus fuel charges, etc).

[quote name='terri910']Except that you are not forced to play the lottery....and the OP said that if he wanted to book an OV he HAD to book an OV guarantee.

So the question is.....why did he HAVE to book a guarantee? Why couldn't he just book a specific OV cabin at a higher rate? Seems like Carnival would prefer that to the cheaper guarantee rate...[/quote]

sorry I haven't checked this in a while! I'm the OP (and I'm a lady :) )

I didn't have the option for some reason! I booked online and the only available option for an OV was if it were a guarantee...I wasn't given the chance to pick my floor/room/etc. Don't know why...maybe other rooms just weren't available? I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it...

Also, I did call and I just said "I'm not sure you can do anything for me but..." And they did! They bumped us up two decks. I feel better.

Also, I did not think that the window would be "under water"...its just that on other ships that I've been on (Carnival included) the bottom floor didn't have windows! For example, on NCL a year ago, we were one floor above the bottom deck and we have a picture window. The deck below us didn't have any windows. Maybe I jumped to conclusions that all ships were alike but...I wasn't sure! I've been on Carnival, RCI, NCL, and Princess. *shrug*

[quote name='terri910']Ahhhhh......maybe that's it (online vs. live person).[/quote]

yes! I guess I should have mentioned that I booked online and only about 3 months before the cruise. That's not to say that I didn't *mind* the guarantee booking...I just didn't expect to be on the lower of the guest decks...I don't know. Maybe I was just being silly.

It doesn't really upset me that much and I know you don't really spend alot of time in your room, but, to each his own. The room is important to me when vacationing. Is it the most important? No. But it ranks up there on my list.

I haven't cruised with Carnival in a few years and I never did it myself...I did it with family. But now I know better! I appreciate all the tips!

[quote name='danixbanani']sorry I haven't checked this in a while! I'm the OP (and I'm a lady :) )

I didn't have the option for some reason! I booked online and the only available option for an OV was if it were a guarantee...I wasn't given the chance to pick my floor/room/etc. Don't know why...maybe other rooms just weren't available? I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it...

Also, I did call and I just said "I'm not sure you can do anything for me but..." And they did! They bumped us up two decks. I feel better.

[COLOR="Red"]Also, I did not think that the window would be "under water"...its just that on other ships that I've been on (Carnival included) the bottom floor didn't have windows! [/COLOR] For example, on NCL a year ago, we were one floor above the bottom deck and we have a picture window. The deck below us didn't have any windows. Maybe I jumped to conclusions that all ships were alike but...I wasn't sure! I've been on Carnival, RCI, NCL, and Princess. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

I don't think I have ever seen a ship with no windows or portholes in their outside cabins no matter what deck they have been on. I've been on 18 cruises so far.:)

Bill

[quote name='jessemon']No such thing...You can always book a cabin in the catagory you want unless it's sold out.....;)
Maybe the only option because the OP was looking to save money......[/quote]

I just did it online because it was easier. Yes, it was last minute and no, I didn't know that calling a PVP was better. I just didn't want to deal with calling them up...had I known, I would have called.

Archived