ZAANDAM Vanc to Hawaii: Can I take fresh flowers on?

CoolChile

Hi all. We're boarding the Zaandam this w/e in Vancouver, bound for Hawaii. I want to take advantage of my MIL's beautiful dahlias and take on a bunch. Is this allowable (she said yes ;) ) from the perspective of taking them on in Canada, when you're bound for the US?

Even though it is a foreign-flagged ship? Isn't that the same as foreign soil?

I'd love, love, love to have fresh flowers on our next cruise. Have ordered some from HAL for my friend who is joining us to enjoy in her cabin, but I'm just tooooooooooooo "frugal" to order myself some. I'd feel better about indulging myself if I could just grab a bouquet at a shop on the way to the dock.

We have brought aboard flowers on multiple HAL ships, Chandris (and now Celebrity) RCCL, Cunard, Paquet,NCL, Costa, Admiral, and some others, and never had a problem. U.S. Dept ofAgriculture requires that they stay on the ship, however. Taking them ashore is not permitted.

we just did this on the Oosterdam out of Seattle. we had temporarily put them in the ice container but found a nice vase on our table when we returned from dinner the first night. :) so just ask your room steward and they should be able to procure one for you

In the same vein, does anyone happen to know if the same rules apply in Europe?

I can't say about every port in Europe, but I have brought them on in Bergen, Norway.

I will say that I have never seen a prohibition listed in the Daily Program for any port on any of the Europe cruises I have taken (many).

In the same vein, does anyone happen to know if the same rules apply in Europe? I will be doing a Venice to Barcelona cruise in a couple of weeks, and would love to bring a bouquet from Venice onto the ship with me.

Bonnie

I've done it numerous times on river cruises that went through many european countries. Was one of the fun things to do when the local "markets" were alive. Really made the room feel special, and was fun to come back to the ship and see the pretty bouquet in my cabin window.

Agree with others...like food, you can't take flowers off the ship in U.S. ports. Department of Agriculture frowns on it mightily, and for very good reason!

Hi all. We're boarding the Zaandam this w/e in Vancouver, bound for Hawaii. I want to take advantage of my MIL's beautiful dahlias and take on a bunch. Is this allowable (she said yes ;) ) from the perspective of taking them on in Canada, when you're bound for the US?

ALSO, when you get off the ship at Hilo, there will be merchants right on the dock selling arrays of Antherium and other local flowers of great color in displays of USD10 and up. They are beautiful and would cost USD50 and up, easily, on the mainland. They will last 7-10days especially if you have natural light in your cabin.

I brought one aboard the Zaandam last November for my cabin and it was a great addition to my cabin.

Thanks all. My main point was about taking flowers on in Canada when you're heading to the US. I know there's no problem doing the Pike Place Market thing for flowers there, but it was the Canada-to-US thing I was concerned about.

I hope my mother-in-law doesn't charge me for the dahlias. She shouldn't. I took her son off her hands. :D

ALSO, when you get off the ship at Hilo, there will be merchants right on the dock selling arrays of Antherium and other local flowers of great color in displays of USD10 and up. They are beautiful and would cost USD50 and up, easily, on the mainland. They will last 7-10days especially if you have natural light in your cabin. I brought one aboard the Zaandam last November for my cabin and it was a great addition to my cabin.

Yes, great idea, altosax (BTW, do you like music? :p ). I read on the Hawaii forum that the cost of flowers is a lot better if you head to Chinatown . . .do I have that right?

Yes, great idea, altosax (BTW, do you like music? :p ). I read on the Hawaii forum that the cost of flowers is a lot better if you head to Chinatown . . .do I have that right?

Sorry, don't know about Chinatown. But where I am talking about you are just a minute or two away from being back aboard ship. For me, not having to tote a flower arrangement around Hilo is worth a few extra bucks.

Archived