Prices of Summer Time Cruise

Cruiser8_8

Because of the kids in school druing the off-seasons, I only get to cruise during the summer months. This normally occurs sometimes between mid June to late July, before the Hurrican seasons.

I have taken two cruises within the past 2-years, but, Is is me, or does the prices seem to sky rocket, during these summer months, when the cruiselines knows that famly are taking summer vacation all the time.

For example, I notice that the same 7-nights cruise on Freedom in October escalate in price from around $659 to about $1399, for a Balcony room (E1) cat.

Question:

What's the most you've ever paid per person for a 7-nights cruise;This is for only Balcony and above category room. Also, what time of the year was this cruise taken.

F.Y.I., For a family of 4, my next cruise is costing me in excess of $6000, for an E1 cat. room on Freedom, next July.

What is the best way to get lower price during the summer months.

Because of the kids in school druing the off-seasons, I only get to cruise during the summer months. This normally occurs sometimes between mid June to late July, before the Hurrican seasons.

I have taken two cruises within the past 2-years, but, Is is me, or does the prices seem to sky rocket, during these summer months, when the cruiselines knows that famly are taking summer vacation all the time.

For example, I notice that the same 7-nights cruise on Freedom in October escalate in price from around $659 to about $1399, for a Balcony room (E1) cat.

Question:

What's the most you've ever paid per person for a 7-nights cruise;This is for only Balcony and above category room. Also, what time of the year was this cruise taken.

F.Y.I., For a family of 4, my next cruise is costing me in excess of $6000, for an E1 cat. room on Freedom, next July.

I agree! We can only cruise during the last week of August, and prices for 2009 are much higher than we've ever seen before. Our family of four went on Mariner twice for around $3000 total for two cabins (balcony and inside). We had a balcony and promenade on AOS reserved for 2008 (which we had to cancel) for under $3000 total. As we look at 2009 cruises for the end of August, the best we can do is around $5000 for the 4 of us (a bit less if we squeeze into a quad D1). That's quite a jump in price over previous years.

I totally agree with you. I've been pricing out cruises for sometime in June or July. The cruises we've been looking at, the 3rd/4th person rate is roughly 1100.00 :eek:. That's about what we're paying for our upcoming cruise for the 1st/2nd person rate. We have 6 in our family so really, it's not affordable for us, sad to say. Coupled with cruising prime season with the cost of flying, it's a no brainer for us. We'll have to find other more affordable vacations.

Chris

I notice that the same 7-nights cruise on Freedom in October escalate in price from around $659 to about $1399, for a Balcony room (E1) cat.

Wow I didnt know that you could get a balcony so cheap on Freedom!!! $659 sounds like a awesome price. I found a price of $799 on Voyager out of Galveston and thought that was a deal and its a older ship than Freedom.

Im jealous of the cheaper Florida prices!!! Summer is high, no doubt about it.

Question:

Here's some advice about saving on those higher summer fares:

1. Book as soon as those cruises are released. These may be the cheapest they will ever be. If the price *does* go down, RC will honor the lower price. CHECK OFTEN. Resident pricing comes and goes, for example.

2. Keep cruising RC. When you hit Platinum, you are entitled to a balcony discount. ($100 for a 7 night cruise) You may well be able to afford two balcony cabins. When you hit Diamond, it's $200 for a 7 night.

3. Watch for C&A coupons for your cruise.

4. Book with a TA who offers OBC.

5. Book on a previous cruise and receive OBC.

6. Buy 100 shares of Royal Caribbean stock, and get OBC.

7. Get the RCCL Visa card and earn points for cruises.

8. Stop thinking about the fact that the fares are higher in June and July when you can cruise, and just ask yourself: "Can I afford to spend $XXXX on the family vacation this year?" If the answer is "yes", and you all enjoy cruising, then you know that you have found good value for your own particular situation.

It's prime season and you'll find that sort of thing with most everything, not just cruises. We usually go to the beach after Labor Day but this year went in Aug. For what we paid in Aug. we could have gone for THREE weeks after Labor Day.:eek:
Summer rates and holiday rates are always higher, even in Hotels and airfares. It's supply and demand, the American way.

Yes, but for the Summer of 2009, the rates are much higher than they have been in previous summers.

Thanks, Merion Mom for the helpful tips!

Wow I didnt know that you could get a balcony so cheap on Freedom!!! $659 sounds like a awesome price. I found a price of $799 on Voyager out of Galveston and thought that was a deal and its a older ship than Freedom.

Im jealous of the cheaper Florida prices!!! Summer is high, no doubt about it.

I agree. Where did the $659 balcony price come from? We booked the Freedom for Oct 09 for $898 before fees/taxes and I thought that was pretty good.

It's not only summer time, what about school vacation weeks. We only cruise in Feb during our DD week off school. Prices are usually cheaper a week before or after. I guess cruise lines and resorts feel if you want to go when the kids are off your going to pay.

Summer rates and holiday rates are always higher, even in Hotels and airfares. It's supply and demand, the American way.

I see that with airfare every year. A non-holiday ticket from DFW to Jacksonville, FL is usually around $410/pp now, but the Christmas time ticket for the same flights is around $1100/pp. I still liked it better when the airlines were regulated and couldn't pull this especially around the holidays.

Supply and demand - just like it was mentioned before. If more people want a cabin/room, then the prices are going to be higher. I can only take DD skiing during Spring Break, and the costs are higher for that week because there are lots of folks like me out there during that week that Texas moves to Colorado.

dido on the supply and demand comments. I feel your pain. This is the only time I am able to travel as well. I lucked out this December and was able to squeeze in a cruise when it wouldn't effect anyone's work/school schedules and I can't believe the great price I got...and 2 price drops!!! I've never been able to take advantage of price drops!

We were thinking about this to, but decided to pull DS out of school for a week in the fall (usually November) for vacation. I just plan ahead, speak with all his teachers and make sure he gets as much done ahead of time, and as much done when he gets back.

DS is in high school now, but we still pull him out. Yes its "unexcused" but he has very high marks and we dont worry about it too much. If he wasnt an A student, I might hestitate.

In the summer, we take a land vacation, which is much less than a cruise in the summer months.

I just cant justify spending all that extra money for the same cruise we can get in November. We spend that extra money on another vacation.

So I feel your pain ... it would be easier to just cruise in the summer, but its cost prohibitive.

Here's some advice about saving on those higher summer fares:

1. Book as soon as those cruises are released. These may be the cheapest they will ever be. If the price *does* go down, RC will honor the lower price. CHECK OFTEN. Resident pricing comes and goes, for example.

2. Keep cruising RC. When you hit Platinum, you are entitled to a balcony discount. ($100 for a 7 night cruise) You may well be able to afford two balcony cabins. When you hit Diamond, it's $200 for a 7 night.

3. Watch for C&A coupons for your cruise.

4. Book with a TA who offers OBC.

5. Book on a previous cruise and receive OBC.

6. Buy 100 shares of Royal Caribbean stock, and get OBC.

7. Get the RCCL Visa card and earn points for cruises.

8. Stop thinking about the fact that the fares are higher in June and July when you can cruise, and just ask yourself: "Can I afford to spend $XXXX on the family vacation this year?" If the answer is "yes", and you all enjoy cruising, then you know that you have found good value for your own particular situation.

I agree. And I know this is the RCI board, BUT, different lines charge different prices too. Maybe, if you are willing, you could look at other lines.

DH and I haven't picked the 'one' line yet that we wish to be exclusive with. BUT, we sailed on Princess last summer (6/17/07), 9-day cruise for two ... we are sailing in April 2009 (spring break - coming back on Easter Sunday) - both sailings consist of a balcony cabin, April 2009 is on NCL and for 4 people and we are paying $200+ less than what we paid in June of last year for 2 .....

As for prices in 2009 being higher across the board, well, prices everywhere are higher across the board right now - we can't really expect the cruiselines not to raise prices (although I too wish they wouldn't).

Plus, by booking the newer/larger ships, you are going to pay more regardless of the time of year.

Good luck.

I agree. And I know this is the RCI board, BUT, different lines charge different prices too. Maybe, if you are willing, you could look at other lines.

DH and I haven't picked the 'one' line yet that we wish to be exclusive with. BUT, we sailed on Princess last summer (6/17/07), 9-day cruise for two ... we are sailing in April 2009 (spring break - coming back on Easter Sunday) - both sailings consist of a balcony cabin, April 2009 is on NCL and for 4 people and we are paying $200+ less than what we paid in June of last year for 2 .....

As for prices in 2009 being higher across the board, well, prices everywhere are higher across the board right now - we can't really expect the cruiselines not to raise prices (although I too wish they wouldn't).

Plus, by booking the newer/larger ships, you are going to pay more regardless of the time of year.

Good luck.

I was going to make this suggestion too. We took a 7 day Canada/NE cruise on the Caribbean Princess the last week of August for over $1800 less (total for family of 4) than RCI's Explorer of the Seas 9 day cruise on same itinerary. Yes, EOS was 2 additional days, but the price made it prohibitive, and the Princess cruise was more affordable. And yes, Explorer and RCI do the things that are important to us better than Princess, but there were some things that Princess does better too, and we had a fantastic time - I'd say it was pretty close to being an equivalent cruising experience!

The reason summer prices are high is because it is PRIME family vacation time.

The reason prices at ski resorts are higher in the winter is because that's PRIME skiing season.

Prices are higher at the hotels around Disney properties during summer because it is PRIME vacation time.

The reason prices in Europe skyrocket in the summer is because that's PRIME vacation time for most tourists.

Cruise prices are generally lower at the least "desirable" travel times such as late hurricane season, anytime schools are in session, early January, first couple of weeks of May.

Supply and demand.

We always cruise last week of August,We are from Hewlett Long Island.This past Aug we were on Mariner of the Seas.This summer my 16 yr old daughter wants to bring a friend so it would be much more convenient and cheaper if we did not have to fly.Any suggestions for the last week of August,thinking Of Grandeur of the seas out of Baltimore.

I feel your pain. Our first cruise was a 5 nighter at the end of July. This was before I found CC and a custody issue was involved. Our second cruise was for my DD HS graduation but living in FL and with the school schedule then, we were able to book a 7 nighter at the end of May for basically the same price as our 5 nighter cost. As other people were remarking, it has to do with what the public will pay. My DD attends FSU and you should see the cost of hotel rooms on the weekends that there is a home football game. 2-3 night minimums with prices that are sometimes double per night than other weekends.

Gregg

I have a few messages floating around the board talking about this in a different light. I am looking at Oasis and here is what I found for 3 people inside cabin. Prices are total including taxes and fuel surcharge

8/14/2010 3900

11/20/2010 3500

11/27/2010 2600

So the big question is do a take a 8th grader out of school for 1 week for the trip. We only cruise once ever 2 to 3 years and we drive 20+ hours to get to the port to save money

typically we avoid cruises in that time frame because they are (as is everything else) a bit more expensive during high volume times like that...I understand that may be the only time you can go but that is the same for so many people that cruise lines charge a little more b/c they can

Archived