passport times

dolly68

Has anyone actually applied for a passport - recently - and what was the "turn-around time" from it being sent out to receiving your passport back?? I want to apply for my SO's and mine but I won't bother if it won't get here before our cruise in January.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information!!!

Sorry about that - I am in the US but thank you for responding anyway .. I can only wish the US would be that prompt!! LOL

The official reply that you will get from the passport people is 6 weeks max. In actual fact this time of year you should get one within two weeks, three at the most.

In a rare moment of lucidity, the govt actually overstaffed the passport offices to deal with that ghastly backup that was on the news in 2007. You notice that there was no mention of problems this last summer.

Take your money and your birth certificates down to your post office and apply now.

My Boyfriend just applied for one last month and I was freaking out because I didn't think it would get to us on time at all! And we had 8 weeks until our cruise. He ended up getting it within less than 2 weeks! They are moving them through fast! But be sure to do it NOW just in case!

I ordered mine sometime around June, and got it back in about 17 days. My sister ordered hers and they messed it up. Someone thought she was born in Tx and it clearly was a Ca birth cert. Took her almost a month..lol boy, did I ever pick on her..lol

You shouldn't have a problem's its quick and simple. Walgreens took my picture for about 6 bucks.

Looks great, I look just like my mom..lol

and She turned 80 yesterday!:rolleyes:

cass8201 - thank you! I will get our applications in as soon as I can!.

Dolly,

It's good that you're getting your passport since it is required.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

You should easily get your passport in time if you submit it before the end of the month. If it doesn't show up by the end of November, I would call and check the status. They can expedite it if you're close to your trip and they've taken too long. There are also options to pay for expedited processing in advance but, I wouldn't think that it's necessary in this case. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Actually passports aren't yet required unless flying into or out of the country ... Carnival follows the US regulations, per their website ... but it still makes sense for us to get them ... especially as the name on my birth certificate does not match that on my driver's license so ... if anything were to happen and I didn't have my passport ... that could create more red tape.

Something to note - we just applied for ours but when we first went to the post office we had our original birth certificates which did not have the seal. We had to wait and send for new birthcertificates first. We offically applied on Set 16th so we will see how long it takes.

I had the same thing happen to me - I went the post office and they said that I had to have a "long version" of my Birth Certificate. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if I hadn't been living in Indiana and Born in California - I was in a panic for the month it took to get another Certificate - thinking it would delay the passport beyond our trip. I could have screamed when I finaly got the "long form", all the dept of health did was copy the same certificate I had on a larger piece of paper - no additional info - I still don't know why I had to go through all that trouble and expense, luckily I got my passport two weeks later.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread resurrected - but just for info for people reading.

If you change your name within a year of passport issuance - ie got married and changed name - they will change it for free - after a year, there is a fee.

Amazing how bureaucracy works, hmm??

Now I have to add another wrinkle ... my SO and I aren't married yet and now I'm thinking I ought to do that prior to getting my passport ...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived