Help! Globus is leaving us stranded in Basel

nhmrm

My sister and I are on the Romantic Rhine river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel on October 19. I just got a call from my TA that Globus will not transport us to Zurich to the airport because we are staying overnight "on our own". Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get to Zurich from Basel. A taxi seems very expensive and with our luggage I am not sure how the train would work out. I am a bit intimidated by the train and trying to figure out the schedule. We do have to come up with something, so any and all help is appreciated. Thank you

The most convenient way to travel from Basel to Zurich is via train. Swiss trains are convenient, comfortable, run frequently and on time. The Swiss are very helpful, and you will find English spoken at the railway stations. The trip from Basel to Zurich takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. The website is www.ssb.ch. You could also check out the bus system (Swiss Post Bus) which normally leaves from the train station. However, you should not have any qualms about using the train. It's easy, don't worry.:p

We were on the Amsterdam - Basel Avalon cruise this time last year and like you had not organised to get from Basel to Zurich (where we had one night independently booked). We thought probably the train as well. BUT.. we could buy a bus transfer on the ship from the CD and were delivered to the hotel the cruise line (or Globus) used, then just got a taxi to our hotel. Cannot recall how much it was - but it made it a lot easier. You may well be able to do the same thing this time - I would check with the CD when you get on and if you can't do it, go to the train station as trains are frequent.

There are quite a few trains that go from Basel directly to the Zurich Airport. You can check schedules and book tickets through several online sites. The easiest way to do that is to do a Google search on European Rail Service. Some of the sites will actually send you the tickets so that you have them in hand before you leave on your trip.

:) Thank you to all of you who replied. Appreciate the help and advice.

To those of you who have been on this cruise before, any advice on what we just have to see and do as well as what is not worth the time to see and do?

The subject is misleading.

Globus is not stranding you... it is your choice to stay in Basel.

Why not just ask for ways to get from Basel to Zurich

Lyn

Lyn

I think perhaps I did not make my posting clear, I am not planning on staying in Basel.

Our plan was to take the Globus transfer to the Zurich airport and then spend the night in Zurich. I had reservations on the transfer from Basel to the Zurich airport with Globus. Due to the fact that I was not flying out that day, but spending a day at a hotel in Zurich, on my own, Globus said they would not transfer me from Basel to the Zurich airport. After having made my arrangements so that we could use the Globus transfer, they canceled it. It did not make any sense to me, which is why I felt like they left me stranded. Fortunately, my TA saved the day and made arrangements that will work out for us.

nhmrm,

As others have said, it is very easy to take the train from Basel to Zurich. The train website is sbb.ch, then go to the english (en) version. If you decide to do this, just ensure you take the direct route (no change of trains). From Basel to Zurich Airport (Zurich Flughafen) there is one direct train per hour. From Basel to Zurich SBB there are three direct trains per hour. The second class fare is approximately $28-31, and first class is $47-52 per person. We have never purchased our tickets ahead of time, we just go to the ticket window and buy there. It is very easy to find the schedule, purchase tickets, and take your luggage on board. In first class, there is plenty of room and the trains are extremely punctual.

Just as another thing to note ... if you would book your transfer with Globus/Avalon, it would cost more than what you would pay for a train ticket. I think that the train is the smart way to travel.

Thanks! I am sure you are right.

Lyn

I think perhaps I did not make my posting clear, I am not planning on staying in Basel.

Sorry your posting was not clear ..it sounded as if you were staying in Basil

Seems strange that they would not take your to the airport if you are willing to pay their price.

Lyn

Archived