Walk for the cure still going on??

airlink diva

I noticed that no one recently mention if any of the ships still have the walk for the cure. While I didn't participate last year (overlapping activities) I did pay for the walk as a donation. This year I really want to do the walk because a close friend of mine is recovering from her bout of breast cancer. I know that they are doing the walk on other cruiselines.

Happy sailing!!

I contacted HAL direct not long ago and was told all ships were doing the walk on a sea day. It will be in the newspaper the night before. They ask for a $15.00 donation to participate. I plan to ask at the purser's desk the first day just to make sure I don't miss it.

Noordam had one in June. :) We received information about 4-5 nights ahead. My brother, SIL and myself walked in honor of my mother who is a BC survivor, and was onboard the ship, but cannot walk long distances because of a lung problem. I would guestamate that there were only about 150-200 people that participated.

about my grammar. :eek: I just reread my post and cannot believe that I wrote myself, instead of I. :o[/quote]

Don't feel bad...badly??? I discovered when I reread the last post of my review I had spelled acquire as aquire:o I hope they won't hold it against us.:)

They held the Walk on our Eurodam cruise Sept.1.I am very impressed with Holland America commitment to the cause.

I lost my best friend to breast cancer 12 years ago. I still feel the loss terribly.

They always have the t-shirts but sometimes they do not have the pink bracelets. We have a collection of them and wear our own if we do not get a new one each time we sign up.
Again, HAL seemed quite unaware of the E'dam's Inaugural. Not only didn't they have any 'E DAM' mugs for prizes, they didn't have any 'Walk for the cure' t-shirts (or pink bracelets). Those on the Norway-UK portion were given HAL t-shirts for St. Petersburg. :confused: I didn't notice what they had for the Baltic portion, but it still wasn't the usual t-shirts.

Mary Ellen..... I understand your disappointment but truly I cut them a little slack. Eurodam had just started sailing and most folks know that a brand new ship is going to have some glitches. Maybe the t-shirts were held in customs (things like that happen). We all have learned the Inaugural Cruise wasn't perfect, nor was Eurodam's second cruise. I seriously doubt anyone could realistically think it could/would be??? A Maiden Voyage can be risky.

I'm sorry to hear the t-shirts were not available. I honestly am. I wear mine around my neighborhood when we take our daily walks. I proudly wear it to the grocery store (and I'm not really a t-shirt person). Hopefully, on your next cruise you'll have the opportunity to get an On Deck for the Cure t -shirt and will participate in the walk if that pleases you at that time.

It is announced in the Daily Program. Sometimes they distribute a separate paper for signing up but it is always in the program at least a few days in advance.

They announce it a few days in advance so people can sign up and they can arrange for the t-shirts.

Perhaps you didn't notice it in the daily program.

I just returned from the September 7-14 northbound trip to Alaska on the Volendam and we had the Walk for the Cure on one of the sea days. Not too many people turned out to walk, but to be fair it was a very blustery day with sea spray coming over the promenade deck. It was great!

Archived