Which Cabana is Which?

JennAngel9

We are thinking of using a Cabana for our Nautica cruise next year. Can anybody provide the names of the port and starboard cabanas? I understand that they are larger. From looking at photographs, it seems like the loungers in the cabanas are not positioned in such a way that they will get a lot of sun, is that a correct impression? Which Cabana(s) would be better for people who want to be able to tan?

I am hoping to avoid a discussion of the evils (or lack thereof) of Cabanas and I apologize to everyone if I am not successful.

Thanks in advance.

We are thinking of using a Cabana for our Nautica cruise next year. Can anybody provide the names of the port and starboard cabanas? I understand that they are larger. From looking at photographs, it seems like the loungers in the cabanas are not positioned in such a way that they will get a lot of sun, is that a correct impression? Which Cabana(s) would be better for people who want to be able to tan?

I am hoping to avoid a discussion of the evils (or lack thereof) of Cabanas and I apologize to everyone if I am not successful.

Thanks in advance.

The starboard cabana, which we had, is called St. Barts. I'm not positive but I think the port cabana is called Monte Carlo. The two end cabanas seemed to be at least 30% to 40% larger than the other cabanas. You get a side view as well as a forward view and better air circulation.

I'm not sure what your comment about the position of the loungers means. I would think that the direction of the ship, the time of day, the date and the location of the ship would all impact the amount of sun hitting a lounger in a cabana. You can roll back the shade cloth covering the cabanas to let in more sun if you like. Also, there are several rows of loungers on the open deck just aft of the cabanas. My wife used these when she wanted more sun than available in our cabana.

If you have any mobility problems, getting to the cabanas may be difficult. You have to climb a steep set of outside stairs to get to deck 11, the cabana deck. The elevator only goes to deck 10.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave. I believe I saw elsewhere that the port cabana was monte carlo, so I think that's right.

Having been on that deck on the Tahitian Princess, I remember thinking that the windows around the edges blocked out the sun during a good portion of the day, so I thought perhaps the central ones might be preferable to the side ones. However, from what I've read, it sounds like the cabanas are all stacked next to each other... so I suppose that wouldn't matter. It is very helpful to know there are other available lounge chairs nearby-- I guess that really takes the anxiety out of finding the sunniest cabana, since I think they are all equally shaded.

Thanks in advance.

JennAngel9,

You are correct in thinking that the Cabanas are named (rather than numbered), however, the names are on 5 x 12 cards which are fitted into plastic sleeves which are easily interchangeable. What we are trying to say is that we would not be sure that the cabanas retain their same names from cruise to cruise. During a particular cruise, the names remain the same, of course, that would be too confusing.

On our last Regatta cruise, for example, a pair of elderly women objected to the (possibly rude) pronunciation of their Cabanas' name (which happened to be Phuket), so they switched it!

By the way, we can tell you that you cannot book a particular cabana before you arrive at the ship. Oceania will accept your request for a cabana, that is true, and if you book one, you will get one. Cabana assignments, however, are given by the concierge, once you arrive onboard.

It is true that the port and starboard outer cabanas are marginally larger than the inboard ones. The difference must amount to about 6 square feet. The benefit to those side Cabanas is that the view is forward and to the side, rather than simply forward, as they others are.

oceania%20cabanas.jpgIn this photo is the far right (Starboard) Cabana (this photo is actually from the Nautica). What appears to be a diagonal window frame is at the corner of the ship, so everything to the right of that is the side view.

-->You can see those infamous interchangeable plastic sign holders hanging there on the chain.

Also notice the pleated roof that cranks open and closed, depending on how much sun you want, and the electric fans that are equipped with misting nozzles, which cool you even further, in the very hot weather.

None of the cabanas are particularly good for sunbathing, however, You will get a lot of sun in the Cabana. No matter how much you like the sun, or want a tan, you will be glad of the roof (and that misting fan is an unbelievable luxury!).

We did notice that some people had the daybeds turned around in the afternoons, depending on where the sun was.

As you might be able to tell from our description of them, we absolutely LOVED the Cabanas. The Cabana boys absolutely cannot do enough for you. We never heard the word no.

To give you some idea of their level of service, our former Cabana neighbors were from the Napa Valley, and considered themselves wine mavens. Every afternoon, just as the rest of us were getting ready for our post teatime nap (which should not be confused with the post luncheon nap!), out would come 2 or 3 different vintages (with the ice buckets on the pedastals), and all the glassware and linens that such service requires. Then, all those trays and trays of crackers, cheeses, grapes and other fruits......it was positively bacchanalian!

There is only one hard and fast rule......only 2 people to a Cabana at any one time.

They also close down Deck 11 in the evening. Well, not exactly close, but they take in the mattresses and the lighting up there is very weak. Therefore you cannot use your cabana after dark.

Stan and Jim

You will get a lot of sun in the Cabana.

Is it possible to rent a cabana for the whole cruise and not get any sun - my husband and I do not like to be in any sun due to numerous skin cancers - for the entire cruise? We are going thru the Panama Canal.

Thank you

Is it possible to rent a cabana for the whole cruise and not get any sun - my husband and I do not like to be in any sun due to numerous skin cancers - for the entire cruise? We are going thru the Panama Canal.

Marebear,

As you can see from my earlier post you could keep the roof completely closed for the whole trip, which will block about 70% of the sun).

Consider though, that you will be sailing near the equator and it will be VERY HOT in the Cabana if you do that, even with the misting fan on full blast.

You would also need to wear clothing, or put towels over you, to block the sun that streams in through the windows, and honestly, the misting leaves you damp and miserable if you have to be dressed.

All in all, if I could not take the sun, I'd get a better room and skip the Cabana. If you're not booking a suite, rooms 7000 or 7001 would be the best.

Deck_07.jpg

The Cabin Verandahs are usually much shadier, and you can always run inside from there, which you cannot do easily from deck 11, as there is NO real shelter up there!

Hope this helped!

S&J

Thanks for the photo and the information StanandJim! The cabanas do sound wonderful. I suppose we will request a corner cabana for the extra view and keep our fingers crossed!

I am very excited about the prospect of afternoon tea in the Cabana, but the wine and cheese idea is brilliant too. It's a shame the Black Sea cruise is so port intensive :p

JennAngel9,

Therefore you cannot use your cabana after dark.

... for reading, I presume?

It's a shame the Black Sea cruise is so port intensive :p

JennAngel9 -

Have you considered a Repo Cruise across the Atlantic? Perfect for a cabana. Picture of cabanas below.

489656010_RegattaCabanas.jpg.0e70e3fc0c3f38eec5cbb8bc8924020e.jpg

... for reading, I presume?

Jay-

Can't say that we blame you for going there.

Please consider, however, that when you are cruising in Europe, you dont get many days to spend onboard.

The ship usually sails around dinner time, and what with all those shoreside light twinkling, the cabanas could be charming after dark.

In fact, almost everyone who has ever asked us about the cabanas has asked that "night use" question.

The fact is, though, that they close them up at sundown.

a11.jpg

We are thinking of the med in nov is this a good time to go?

Conderost,

For the Med, we prefer the early Spring (April 1st-ish). The weather then is cool and clear (not very rainy at all), yet warm enough to do some of the beach, say around Sicily or Greece.

As we were just telling another friend, there are always more ruins and museums than you could ever do anyway.......enjoy yourself a little!

November can be cool and wet, also, the Med gets rough late in the season.

Where in Ct. are you?

S&J

• 10 months later...

to Stan and Jim from Lynne

we have reserved a cabana for the jan.2010 panama crossing. after reading through several posts, i still have questions. i'm sorry if you are not the proper people to ask. you both seem to be know lots about lots with cruising and oceania. if you know of any better resource, great, just let me know.

anyway, my main ? is about heat/hot/too much sun/ etc. I don't like a lot of sun and don't tolerate hot heat well.

Also, are there toilet facilities "up" there or does one climb down the stairs when nec.

thanks in advance. hope to meet you some time.

Lynne

Also, are there toilet facilities "up" there or does one climb down the stairs when nec.

thanks in advance. hope to meet you some time.

Lynne

Not Jim... but no facilities on deck 11 I think the closest are Deck10 aft outside the library or deck 9 forward near the gym

Lyn

JennAngel9,

They also close down Deck 11 in the evening. Well, not exactly close, but they take in the mattresses and the lighting up there is very weak. Therefore you cannot use your cabana after dark.

This statement just inadvertently answered my question on another thread. I have an inside cabin, and had hopes of sleeping a couple of nights outside in a cabana.

Since the cabanas aren't available at night, I guess I'll just have to say,

"Phuk-et" and not rent a cabana!:D

For the Med, we prefer the early Spring (April 1st-ish). The weather then is cool and clear (not very rainy at all), yet warm enough to do some of the beach, say around Sicily or Greece.

StanandJim I and my daughter are booked on a med cruise in early April on Regatta. The Cabana idea is very appealing but do you think we would get enough use out of it considering time of year (weather) and the port intensive itinerary?

We have an inside room booked so this makes the idea even more appealing. If I do it I would surprise her with it, this trip is a graduation gift for her.

If I decide to book one can my travel agent book it for me?

Thanks in advance

StanandJim I and my daughter are booked on a med cruise in early April on Regatta. The Cabana idea is very appealing but do you think we would get enough use out of it considering time of year (weather) and the port intensive itinerary?

TimTammi-

What a lovely idea to suprise your daughter by booking a cabana. She will love it!

We just returned from an Athens to Rome cruise on the Nautica (also VERY port intensive), and we got quite a bit of use out of our Cabana.

In fact, there were many times when we would turn to each other in the midst of some sweaty crowded shore excursion and comment on how we would "so much rather be in the Cabana right now".

We were in our Cabana for almost every sail away, and for the entire day at sea.

We tended to stay on up on deck 11 until it was time to dress for dinner. Several of our cabana neighbors enjoyed their pre dinner cocktails up there almost every night. We joined in, several times, purely as a gesture of camaraderie. I'm sure that you understand.....

Your TA is the right person to book the cabana for you.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise.

PS, you'll LOVE the bag of goodies that come gratis with the cabana ;) Sunscreen, Cap Visor, Towels, lip balm, etc in a quilted Oceania logo beach bag that goes home with you.

We have used the cabana on a Panama Canal cruise and in my opinion - it is the only place to be! You see everything head on, not from one side or the other. We were in "St. Bart" and our friends were in the one next to us. We were able to open the screen between the two and enjoy the added space. Afternoon tea was a wonderful experience, but the again everything up there was! The dedicated cabana boys cater to your every whim! One word of caution - on the Panama Canal cruise - some people can be very rude and pushy - tried to get in under the chain (yes, there is a chain over the exit) and said some very rude things - who do you think you are using up all of this prime space, etc. We even had a man offer to "sublet" for the canal (yea, I paid $750 extra for the cabana so that I could enjoy the crossing, but let me take $50 on the day of the canal crossing...) One guy even came in and sat on my cushy lounger to take pictures while I was still in it!!

I think the cabana is still a good idea on port intensive cruises - a place to unwind and not have to look for an "unreserved" pool chair. We are trying it again for "Route of the Vikings" next August and hope to enjoy the scenery at sea and in port.

They do close up before dinner time - the cabana boys have to remove the cushion and clean up the area, but they were always very polite and allowed us to stay while they attended to the other cabanas. Heaven on Earth - I can't wait until next time....

Kathie

All of the particulars can be found here:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/southamerica/ins100222/options/cabanas.aspx

But that link glosses over the costs, so here is the bad news:

The cabanas are rented on either a full cruise or a per day basis.

You may reserve a Cabana through your travel Agent. Prices will vary according to the length of the cruise, but they generally start at $500.

A big advantage of booking for the full cruise is that you may reserve in advance. There are only 8 cabanas, after all.

The per day rentals are $50 per day and may not be reserved ahead. Dependant on availability, they are strictly on a first come first served basis.

Hope this helped-

Archived