Runners - ice in the gym or nearby? Instant cold pack?

masonpips

I have been fighting plantar fascitis for about 2 months and am FINALLY seeing improvement and getting in some runs again without pain, during the run or after, provided I ice my foot.

I have a 15K on Oct 25 so I really want to run on the ship (10/12 sailing). I've found icing my foot immediately after a run keeps the inflammation down so I was hoping for some ideas/suggestions on getting ice.

I've thought about walking to one of the pools bars and asking for a glass of it (and bringing my own ziploc) and/or heading back to the room. I've also considered buying a few "instant" cold packs to use (will probably run 3 or 4 times while onboard). Has anyone used these and are they pretty good?

Thanks for any feedback on getting ice or the cold packs.

Side note: any advice on *not* running, giving up running, etc. isn't needed. I've been working through this, with a medical professional, slowly and over time to ensure I don't hurt myself further. Thanks tho

Plan to do your "running" very early in the am...the jogging track wraps around the pool, and from about 10am on, the track will be clogged with lounge chairs, as there's not enough room for them unless they are spread out onto the track!

And, there is PLENTY of ice onboard!

I used to work for a ballet company. We used a lot of those "instant ice" packs, and they worked pretty well - especially in a pinch. I keep them here at home but have fortunately not needed them.

I'd carry a few of those, but would probably do the zip lock thing as well. If I recall correctly, the ice packs never got as cold as a big old hunk of ice.

What kind of shoe you wearing? I run nearly every morning on a cruise and sometimes run the dock. I bet a ice pack that you use and the room steward will keep ice for you if you ask.

Notree will be doing th White Rock 1/2 in November and the White Rock maraton 1/2 in December.

Voyager on 1/11/09 Good running!

I have also found that you were better of running on a treadmill near the middle of the gym (and ship) as compared to the side. If you run on one toward the side and the ship is rocking, the treadmill will rock more, which can increase the swelling due to the unlevel landing spots.

We've used the insta ice packs for baseball both for injuries and for icing pitchers' arms. They seem to work pretty well. Get them from a true sports supply store or a hospital supply, not just Rite Aid. I would bring a few of them to have if needed. In a pinch, if the foot flares up, you can use one til you can get to real ice. I struggled through plantar fascitis too and the last thing you want to do when it flares up if hobble to find ice. Good luck on your race and have a great cruise!

What kind of shoe you wearing? I run nearly every morning on a cruise and sometimes run the dock. I bet a ice pack that you use and the room steward will keep ice for you if you ask.

Notree will be doing th White Rock 1/2 in November and the White Rock maraton 1/2 in December.

I am wearing New Balance 1224s (almost brand new, new shoes were part of my "fix"). Loving them. I used to wear Asics years ago but have issues w/my right foot (same one I'm babying right now) and the NB seem to be better/help. I'm planning Tulsa Run 10/25 and hoping for Route 66 1/2 on 11/15 (16?) but have the Run the Rock 1/2 as my backup depending on healing time

masonpips

I have the same problem with my foot, have not seen md yet, any suggestions, what have you been doing to improve yours?

Any help would be appreciated

Sailing 1/09

Thanks

I honestly think the best things have been:

1) cutting back on EVERYTHING (I was doing bootcamp in the a.m. (two days/week), running (2-3 days/week), biking (2 days), bleachers (1 day) and weights, now I run and do weights, maybe bike 1x/week)

2) wearing a night boot http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WZYXL0

3) icing immediately after working out

4) a foot bandage during the day http://www.amazon.com/Pedifix-P60-Arch-Bandage/dp/B0002DUSV6/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1221967768&sr=8-6

5) heel cups (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MT1SLY)

Notes: I bought the foot bandage at Walmart for far cheaper and ended up w/3 I rotate and wash. The night boot sucks. Plain and simple. But you get used to it and I only rip it off middle-of-the-night about half the time. It just helps keep you at a closer to 90 degree angle vs relaxing the foot angle. It will be coming on the cruise!

I also see a sports massage guy twice a month that works the area. I have a heel spur (had an xray) and he tries to work that area and can eventually work down/wear down (?) the spur somewhat. I have high arches and either those or flat fleet can make this worse. Hope this helps!

I just wanted to tell you that I suffered with plantar fascitis for about 10months! It absolutely sucked, I feel your pain. And I wore the stupid boot at night and always woke up tearing it off -- that was so painful, too.

The thing that FINALLY helped me was Cortisone shots. I had one in each foot. Only one improved and had a second shot in my other foot and it finally cleared up.

And most importantly, I wear high arched inserts in my shoes as often as possible. If i wear sandles, I ONLY buys ones with a high arch and good support. That's the most important thing.

Good luck.

You have some good shoes sounds like. If you do not log your work outs and log shoe miles you need to start. I use

http://www.therunninglog.com/. I always go to a good running store to get fitted in a good quality shoe by someone who is knowledgeable as to what type of shoe I need for my foot type and running style.

Also some excellent advice on running forums. Runango.com or Runners World. are the two I go to and use much like cruisecritic. Good advice on injuries etc there. Running on a cruise is some of the most enjoyable running times I have had and made some friends.

Maybe we can work up a runners cruise!

I know how you feel. I was out with plantar fascitis for almost four months. I missed several races and triathlons I had already signed up for. I had two cortizone shots, which helped a little, a pack of steroid pills, a strapping and then finally orthotics. The orthotics are great! I feel they will help keep the plantar fascitis from flaring up again. You won't have a problem getting ice on the ship. Good luck with your race.

As most people who have responded to this thread are runners-

Does anyone know of a good store to buy new running shoes in Orlando?

I have asics which I feel are now well worn. I could go back to the running store I bought them from and they would examine my shoes but I paid about $165 for them in the UK and thought I might make a saving in the US.

Any thoughts? My shoes are comfortable but I wonder if they are slightly on the small side as they are slightly stretched where my big toe is.

I am also going to try some running on the ship but I hate the treadmill it is so boring and I cannot run very well in the heat. I am also used to running with my running partner and we chat to pass the time and change our routes regularly. Perhaps I could do half outside and the other half inside!

It's not Orlando - but there is a great store in Lakeland called Fit Niche

Hi my problem is that I do not live in US but will be staying in Florida for 10 nights so I am unable to get items delivered! I will have to go in person.

I got relief with ultrasound treatments. I went to a Chiropractor who also does acupuncture, she wanted to try ultrasound first. After 4 treatments I had total relief. I have been pain free for almost 5 years now! Every once in awhile I get a pain and thats because I don't have on the right shoes!!! Shoes are very important....I can't go barefoot even in the house, I need arch support. however here in AZ I find it impossible to wear heavy shoes and socks, my feet get too hot and then I am miserable.

Before my treatments I use to keep a frozen water bottle in the freezer and would roll my foot on that, it helped a little.

Orthodics and the foot brace to wear at night did nothing for me except cost me money! :eek:

Good luck!

Judy, there is a Fleet Feet in Orlando and they do a great fittiing for you:

http://www.fleetfeetorlando.com/htm/location.asp

They should have you run on the treadmill so they video tape and point out any pronation issues, measure your foot (and arch) standing and sitting and talk about what kind of running you do, how much, etc. Take in your current shoes if you have them, they can look for wear on the bottom to see how you run. Typically you want to go up at least a 1/2 size in a running shoe. I wear 8's in all shoes except running where I wear an 8 & 1/2. Fleet Feet is a great chain!

If you intend to make it to the gym for early morning runs don't count on finding ice at the sports/pool deck bars. Everything topside is closed that early!

I am an early morning track runner and usually log four miles. The tracks on the newer RCI ships are cushioned, (in case you decide to hit the track instead of the treadmill).

I wear the NB 817's (motion control). Have to accomodate wide feet w/low arches!

i had a heel spur as well and i used orthodics and surprisingly a golf ball that would massage the area. I also wear NB, which are great because you can take out the insert and replace with the orthodics. It took about 10mos for the heel spur to not appear on an x ray.

Archived