Messed Up Air, Courtesy Of Hal

HomeLover

Oooh, Pam. You think you have enough time for an International Flight checkin? Isn't it three hours required?
I know I'm taking a chance but I've taken several International flights back to the U.S. this past year and the airlines didn't even open the check-in counters until just over an hour before the flight (Venice and Copenhagen.) Plus, I'm flying Business Class so I'm hoping there'll be a separate (and faster) check-in and Security. If I make it by 8:30PM, I should be OK. If my luggage doesn't make it, it's not the end of the world -- I'm going home, not to the cruise. It'll find me eventually. :)

How many of you CCer's book your own air rather than through Hal, or use a TA to arrange the flight for you? We usually use a TA, but we just book a cruise with Hal, we have not decided whether to do it through Hal or our TA. Do you think there is any advantage to either choice?

We do not/never have flown Lufthansa transatlantic I hate them all but I hate Amsterdam's far less than some others. :D

Luft TA = not is good, seats are very close together.

"I can never use love or even like and airport in the same sentence."

Amen

How many of you CCer's book your own air rather than through Hal, or use a TA to arrange the flight for you? We usually use a TA, but we just book a cruise with Hal, we have not decided whether to do it through Hal or our TA. Do you think there is any advantage to either choice?

We book our own air.

Very Good Advice!!!

If you read the HAL Air carefully, you will note that they specifically say that they may require a day early in some cases. Trying to meet a ship in Athens when arriving the day of departure is probably only 50% possible. Every flight I have taken to Europe in recent years has been at least an hour late departing the US.

That extra day in Athens is well worth the hotel bill compared to the emotional stress of will we make it or won't we? If you miss the ship the cost to you will be considerably higher. Read some of the recent posts concerning people who have had this experience and found that the cruise insurance does not cover delays caused by airlines.

Pay the hotel bill and enjoy a relaxed cruise.

We book our own air.

Judy, did Jet Blue notify you of the change in flights, or did you find out yourself? We just booked them to Ft. Lauderdale for January. We fly out two days ahead, but are coming back the day the ship arrives...1pm. Thought that would be plenty of time.

I always book my own.. it is always cheaper and I get to pick my own times and dates.

Judy, did Jet Blue notify you of the change in flights, or did you find out yourself? We just booked them to Ft. Lauderdale for January. We fly out two days ahead, but are coming back the day the ship arrives...1pm. Thought that would be plenty of time.

I am assuming you are fling JetBlue back to the New York area - they have a number of flights so I am sure you will be OK even if they changed some flights. We too are flying JetBlue the same day teh ship arrives, at the end of February on a 1:20 pm flight.

Okay it's even more confusing than I thought.

I originally thought they had moved the flight from arriving 1:00 p.m. day of departure to 1:00 p.m. previous day. But if they're recommending a flight the day before, but still offering a 1:00 p.m. arrival time, day of departure, but not the one originally booked then there basically doesn't seem to be a logical reason for switching the day of departure flights.

In the past I've always booked my flights separately but for my new year's cruise I had signed up for Hal's air initially but kept looking for some deals. As it happens, this has worked out best as the flights have gone up substantially and I probably couldn't get it for less than HAL's air.

Quick reply, I am travelling business class and I know all the "qualifications" that HAL has, but THEY booked the flights, so I feel that should have said at the beginning that I had to come in a day earlier, rather than say, when asked "No, these flights are fine"

Quick reply, I am travelling business class and I know all the "qualifications" that HAL has, but THEY booked the flights, so I feel that should have said at the beginning that I had to come in a day earlier, rather than say, when asked "No, these flights are fine"

So, the question is: do you want to win an argument with HAL and potentially miss the ship, or do you want to make sure you make it onboard in time for departure? The latter seems to be the most imprtant. IMO.

In the past I've always booked my flights separately but for my new year's cruise I had signed up for Hal's air initially but kept looking for some deals. As it happens, this has worked out best as the flights have gone up substantially and I probably couldn't get it for less than HAL's air.

During peak times, cruise line air is often least costly option.

Actually, Carol....... They did an excellent job. They called (automated calling system) both my DH's office and our home to advise us of both changes to our flight times. Each change (shockingly) is actually pleasing to us.

They did 'good' :D in this case.

A 1 P.M. flight from FLL is FINE!

Actually, Carol....... They did an excellent job. They called (automated calling system) both my DH's office and our home to advise us of both changes to our flight times. Each change (shockingly) is actually pleasing to us.

They did 'good' :D in this case.

A 1 P.M. flight from FLL is FINE!

Thanks, Judy. I've flown out of Ft. Lauderdale before, so I know my timing is OK even with about 6 ships in port that day. We shouldn't have any possibility of being late since we'll only be in HMC the day before.

BOYTIJM (?)

It is not about winning an argument, it is about getting the flights that they originally booked because there was not reason to change them. If they had said at the beginning that they would recommend coming in a day early, I could have found a good rate at the same hotel with the rest of the CC group and not problem.

How many times do I have to repeat the same thing.?

Homelover,

It doesn't matter how many times you keep repeating it, it appears HAL has changed their mind on your flights for one reason or another, it doesn't really matter. That's the chance you take when you book through the cruiseline. You are at their mercy.

On the other hand, anytime you fly, you are at the mercy of someone.

I wasn't exactly happy about Air Tahiti Nui changing my return flight from Saturday to Sunday, then I have to be to work at 6 am on Monday morning, but not a thing I can do about it without losing $1100. Except pray they don't make any more changes to the schedule.

Try to get past this, and move on to thoughts of a wonderful cruise.

BOYTIJM (?)

Boytjie. :)

It is not about winning an argument, it is about getting the flights that they originally booked because there was not reason to change them. If they had said at the beginning that they would recommend coming in a day early, I could have found a good rate at the same hotel with the rest of the CC group and not problem.

Maybe circumstances changed?

How many times have CC posters said that flying in that late is very risky (irrespective whether HAL previously said it was OK nor not)?

I really would like to know what flights you were originally booked on since you are now complaining about your departure time and a "3 hour connection." Is it possible that HAL has now decided that the connection on your original flights is too short (at some airports, a 3 hour connection time is perfect in my experience)? Have you checked to make sure that the original airline didn't change the flight times?

And no I'm not excusing what HAL has done and I do think they should refund the deviation fee to you.

Homelover - I'm not getting the impression that you are repeating yourself because you have nothing better to do. You are just trying to answer everyone's questions. And when a thread gets to be more than one page everyone does not have time to go back and read every post, so the same question is posted several times.

Any definite travel plans yet? Remember.....DON'T MISS THE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!

Cherie

agabbymama,

You are absolutely right. I posted to see what kind of reaction I would receive, and there were a few with great input, like yours, and the rest were HAL cheerleaders, right or wrong, or people who could not comprehend the stupidity of what HAL did. I am indeed tired of people saying the obvious or asking questions that have already been answered.

Thanks.

BOYTIJM (?)

Again, I would be interested to know what the original flights were - the ones that you want back. Since the flights were booked in January there have been many, many changes in the airline industry. What may have worked in January may no longer be working. They may have checked the ontime stats for the original flights and found that there were issues - and yes I know the new flights get in at the same time as the old one - but perhaps they have a significantly better on time record.

YES you should get your air deviation refunded since you are unable to use the deviation - at HAL's insistance.

You original post indicates that what HAL really wants is for you to go in a day earlier - I am assuming that they want you on the ship and they do not want to deal with the complaints, etc. if you miss the sailing. Since there are no earlier flights that day - they may have found one that works better most of the time to prevent issues.

Yes - perhaps they should have told you this in January - but as I said things may have changed. The fact is that HAL is trying to insure that you make your sailing.

If this were me I would take the advice being given and move on rather than digging my keels in on something that may come back to bite me in the a** later.

Regardless I wish you a safe and enjoyable trip and hope you will report back on your experience.

Thanks, Judy. I've flown out of Ft. Lauderdale before, so I know my timing is OK even with about 6 ships in port that day. We shouldn't have any possibility of being late since we'll only be in HMC the day before.

There's always the possibility of late debarkation but the chances in this case are tiny. The U.S. Officials can delay disembarkation if they see a need, for example.

Six ships in Port Everglades is common. That should be no problem.

agabbymama,

You are absolutely right. I posted to see what kind of reaction I would receive, and there were a few with great input, like yours, and the rest were HAL cheerleaders, right or wrong, or people who could not comprehend the stupidity of what HAL did. I am indeed tired of people saying the obvious or asking questions that have already been answered.

Thanks.

Homelover...... That's what happens on BB's. You post a comment or question and people give their opinons or their particular view of the facts. Sometimes the responses aren't exactly what the OP wanted to hear. Sometimes it is.

We all have tried to understand, ask questions to help us understand and express opinions. That's what we do best!!! :D

We ALL hope it works out perfectly for you and that your cruise exceeds all your expectations.

Good luck.

Let us know how it works out.

And, this cheerleader thinks HAL should refund your deviation fee.

JMHO......

For the LAST Time, they stated that the reason they changed the flights is that they needed the flight to be in Athens by 12N. My original flight got in at 1PM. The flight they put me on ,THE SAME DAY, got in at 1PM!!!!! And takes 3 hours more travel time.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Archived