Latest Glimpse of Solstice...here!

editor@cruisecritic

Lots of interior photos at this link:

http://www.digitalrailroad.net/sbwphoto/Production/PhotoGroupView.aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=19154797

She looks amazing!

Ernie

Thanks for that great link--many awesome photos--I love the angle on Image 22.. The bathroom seems similar to Century with the splashy sinks but also seems to have a shower door instead of a curtain--..Staterooms seem tight even thought they are listed as bigger than on M class..does not seem so in the photos. Lots of awnings--all in all though it looks like a very interesting ship--can't wait to sail!

No kidding! Did you see the reporter? He is a skinny guy and could barely get in the dining room chair. I know that I will not be comfortable in those chairs because they lean back too far. They are like bar chairs. I have to have support at my back to sit up and eat for a long time...not slouch back in a chair and relax.

I personally think the ship is too utilitarian. I prefer the classic look of the ships of the past. I am sure that this ship will appeal to many, but I think DH and I will be cancelling our reservation. We are already looking into other options.

The chairs look alot better than the first depictions--those were even less inviting..to me it looks like they are fairly tight around the tables--no room between the chairs.. i agree that some of the spaces are more Ikea than classic but there will be other cozy places for us traditionalits!

Thanks for that great link--many awesome photos--I love the angle on Image 22.. The bathroom seems similar to Century with the splashy sinks but also seems to have a shower door instead of a curtain--..Staterooms seem tight even thought they are listed as bigger than on M class..does not seem so in the photos. Lots of awnings--all in all though it looks like a very interesting ship--can't wait to sail!

From what I have read online, the bathrooms have impressed the people who have gotten a glimps... saying that they are quite roomy. I can't really tell if that is a shower door though... It almost looks like an acordian type of thing, or a curtian. I guess we will know soon.

Yep... it looks like every deck of balconies (besides the stern) are covered. It doesn't bother me but I am sure it will some.

I thought the same about the dining chairs. They look like bar chairs. I am so short that I always feel like my arms are trapped because it is really uncomfortable for armrests to be so high. I think they are a bad design. And not space friendly either. Why not just regular chairs that seem so much smaller and easier to move around. I noticed on the table for 8 that it is going to be TIGHT!

I am of the minority that thinks the pool deck looks amazing!!! I like being at the pool and being out of the sun. I think it looks very nice. I think a lot of people are going to be in the indoor pool also. With it being air conditioned, I really do think people will be spread out more. Let's hope eh? I will do my part and stay in the indoor pool:D

Confused by the glass show??? I thought they weren't allowed ANY flame onboard the ship? Even the kitchen cannot cook with open flame. Anyone know how this is going to work? It sounds like a strange thing onboard a ship.

BUT... even with all the strange-ness and dining chairs... I still think for the most part, she is a gorgeous new ship!

I am of the minority that thinks the pool deck looks amazing!!! I like being at the pool and being out of the sun. I think it looks very nice. I think a lot of people are going to be in the indoor pool also. With it being air conditioned, I really do think people will be spread out more. Let's hope eh? I will do my part and stay in the indoor pool:D

Confused by the glass show??? I thought they weren't allowed ANY flame onboard the ship? Even the kitchen cannot cook with open flame. Anyone know how this is going to work? It sounds like a strange thing onboard a ship.

I agree, I think the pool area looks great.

As for the flames, I think that as long as they are controlled, it isn't a problem. On Century (Not sure about the other ships) all of the tables have a candle. A real one, too, with real flame. Not a fake battery-powered one.

From what I have read online, the bathrooms have impressed the people who have gotten a glimps... saying that they are quite roomy. I can't really tell if that is a shower door though... It almost looks like an acordian type of thing, or a curtian. I guess we will know soon.

I believe that the shower doors are like those on the newer RCCL ships. here is the shower we had on the Liberty last month.

LibertyoftheSeas019.jpg

LibertyoftheSeas020.jpg

I enjoyed watching the video. It really makes you appreciate what goes into building a ship like this.

As for those that say the ship is ugly...well, there are always going to be things about some ships that people like and dislike. Most of us, if not all of us here have not been on this ship yet. How can you express an opinion until you have been on the ship and experienced it? That is like saying you think Nebraska is ugly if you have never been there. Go on the ship and then state your opinion. There are things about the Solstice that do not look attractive to me, but I may think differently after being on her. For instance, I do not get the live grass at all. It looks like waisted deck space to me. My opinion may completely change after cruising on the ship, so I will withhold my final comments until then. From the looks of things it is shaping up to be one tremendous ship. I am sure it will be packed with the highest level of technology as well. It will be interesting to read the reviews after people have actually sailed on her.

19184027-550px.jpg

The above photo from this website http://www.digitalrailroad.net/sbwphoto/Production/PhotoGroupView.aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=19154797 really shows how the lifeboat placement will affect the view straight down from those in the "inset" balconies. It made me glad that I moved closer to the bow over the beginning of the ship's name so that I will have a clear view below to the water which is something that I really wanted.

Oooh, that is cool. All the RCCL ships I have been on have curtains. Those doors look nice.

They are very comfortable, too! So much better than having the curtain stick to you. :)

shamda - While I never said the ship was ugly, she does seem to be too contemporary for our taste, and I am not happy with the dining room chairs.

We wish we had time to wait for passengers to report back from the ship with photos and reviews, before our final payment. However, our final payment is due 11/10.

Also, we have seen some pretty competitive pricing for February (our cruise date,) on other lines and have pretty much decided to cancel and try something else. That's not to say that we will not try the Solstice or a sister ship another time. But right now, we can take a 10 day cruise to either the Caribbean or Europe, for the same cost as our 7 day cruise on the Solstice. Or, we can save almost half and take a 7 day to the Caribbean or the Mexican Rivera...all on RCCL or HAL. :)

My husband was really excited about the lawn club (he is a golfer) but after seeing the photos and video, we were kinda of let down. I am sure that once the ship is finished and the lawn furniture set out, it will look nicer than it does now, but the area just isn't as grand as we thought it would be.

Mysticks1 - Thank you for posting that photo of the side and lifeboats. We are currently booked into one of those "inset" balconies on deck 7 - 2B. Would we be able to see the promenade deck from our balcony?

PS - When the video showed the reporter going through the staterooms, they looked smaller than the CC we had on the Century. Thought they were going to be larger! Also, did anyone else see the man lounging on the bed in the next stateroom (and then the camera quickly cut away?) :D

In the photos of the bathrooms, the one bathroom looks to be about the same size that we had on the Century. The only change is the smaller shower with door, versus the larger shower w/curtain. However, the bathroom that was shown as an Aqua Class bathroom, looked larger. I saw a bar to the left of the photo that looked like this bathroom might be a handicapped space. Anyone else notice these things?

They are very comfortable, too! So much better than having the curtain stick to you. :)

Hopefully those glass partitioned showers will work. I've always found the showers on X with the curtains to be very roomy (I'm of average size) because of their oblong shape. One of the big pluses of the current bathroom arrangement.

Phil

User jjduke posted the below video from German TV on a different thread... Its amazing... there is video from within the main dining room, at the lawn club, in a balcony stateroom (!), on the bridge... Wow! Its in German, but the video kind of speaks for itself!

http://video.sellie.de/celsolems.htm

This link will not open #

Does anyone have any suggestions???

If you still have problems to open the link, download the video

and try to watch it offline:

http://video.sellie.de/celsolemstrans.wmv

Anybody interested in part two?

19184027-550px.jpg

The above photo from this website http://www.digitalrailroad.net/sbwphoto/Production/PhotoGroupView.aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=19154797 really shows how the lifeboat placement will affect the view straight down from those in the "inset" balconies. It made me glad that I moved closer to the bow over the beginning of the ship's name so that I will have a clear view below to the water which is something that I really wanted.

Couldn't agree more. sort of a odd design to inset something like that, you would think that pushing them in ruduced the size of the interior of the boat... I read somewhere this is the largest cruise boat ever, but wasnt sure that was true... is it? They are going to need a bigger river the way things are going...

I thought that the dining room chairs looked great. More stable than the style on the other ships. It could get a little tight though if they try to add an extra person to a table. I don't think that they should be a tight fit for the occupants, I imagine that they consider "typical" guest sizes. At 6'2" and 180 lbs I know that I'm not typical either and I wonder about seat height but I expect that they have considered all points of the spectrum.

I don't know how accurately the video walk through of the cabin depicts the actual space. Depending on the lens and with the loss of depth inherent to video it could be deceiving.

I thought that the dining room chairs looked great. More stable than the style on the other ships. It could get a little tight though if they try to add an extra person to a table. I don't think that they should be a tight fit for the occupants, I imagine that they consider "typical" guest sizes. At 6'2" and 180 lbs I know that I'm not typical either and I wonder about seat height but I expect that they have considered all points of the spectrum.

I don't know how accurately the video walk through of the cabin depicts the actual space. Depending on the lens and with the loss of depth inherent to video it could be deceiving.

I would have to agree, however, when you see the reporter walking through the length of the room (and sitting in the dining room chair) you can get a realistic idea of the sizes.

Something else I noticed when watching the video...the stateroom door opened out into the hall, instead of into the room. :eek:

excitedofharpenden - I liked the oblong showers on Celebrity, too. The RCCl showers were not so large.

The UK published something that said the World's Largest Cruise Ship and it is not true. The Freedom class series of RCCL is bigger by a long way and holds a LOT more people! Yeah... it may be the biggest built in Germany, but the Solstice isn't the World's biggest cruise ship (and for that I am happy!).

I loved the oblong showers on the Century. I thought it was the best shower design yet. I noticed the AQ class bathroom also. It looked very nice!

Hard to tell about the room size from a little video. I am hoping their square footage is right on though... it sounds like a much better size.

Yes, the grass is a strange idea. I like it though... the only problem will be, like the other poster pointed out, is if they don't allow you on it. With so many people, I am just hoping it holds up week after week... I do like the concept, just wonder if it will be roped off and only available to the bocca balls and the putting??

I talked to my TA yesterday that is going on the pre-inaugural and I asked her to check out the balcony furniture of the AQ, the CC, and the regular balconies. I am really interested in this rumor of the AQ and the CC having better furniture for the same space??

Yes, the grass is a strange idea. I like it though... the only problem will be, like the other poster pointed out, is if they don't allow you on it. With so many people, I am just hoping it holds up week after week... I do like the concept, just wonder if it will be roped off and only available to the bocca balls and the putting??

We are Bocce Ball players are that is one thing that enticed us about the Solstice to begin with.

I talked to my TA yesterday that is going on the pre-inaugural and I asked her to check out the balcony furniture of the AQ, the CC, and the regular balconies. I am really interested in this rumor of the AQ and the CC having better furniture for the same space??

That's another problem for us. The balcony furniture looked to me like it would be hard to get in and out of...not to mention uncomfortable looking.

DH and I made the official decision tonight that we will cancel this cruise and perhaps try it next year. Now, to decide which ship/cruise to take, and to let our TA know.:rolleyes:

Archived