DH, DW, DS....I give up?

Passatlvr2002

:confused: What do these acronyms mean? I know they are referring to people, but I just can't figure them out. I have been searching the boards for days and days.

Can someone please help a newbie out? Thanks a bunch!

Looking forward to my first cruise in 60 looooong days!

• Administrators
:confused: What do these acronyms mean? I know they are referring to people, but I just can't figure them out. I have been searching the boards for days and days.

Welcome to CC and have a great time on your first cruise! :)

Here's a link to a thread which in turn contains links to lots of discussions about internet abbreviations (the ones used here are pretty typical) -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=401035

Hopefully this will help you get familiar with internet shorthand.

DH is Dear/Darling Husband, DW is Dear/Darling Wife, DS is Dear/Darling Son, DD is Dear/Darling Daughter -- and so forth. Often it's clear from the context of the sentence.

Welcome to the cruise critic. There is no need to go crazy trying to figure out what people are talking about. Just ask.

In your case:

DH = Dear Husband

DD = Dear Daughter

DS = Dear Son

DW = Dear Wife

Have a great cruise

Big Sky,

Please send us your questions on your cruise no matter how trivial or silly they may seem to you. We (other respondents and myself) want you to have a great time on your first cruise and we cannot have someone from the spectacularly beautiful Big Sky country of Montana going on a cruise without having them fully informed.

Fred

HeyJude, those are all Holland America cabin designations. They aren't really abbreviations...they're just the letters HAL uses.

Some of them are self explanatory, others are not....PH is the penthouse. On some ships S is a suite; on others, suites have further categories, with SA the most expensive, SB slightly less, SC slightly less than that. Reason for price difference? Location (SC are further from the Neptune Lounge.) All of the above categories get you extra perks, and access to the Neptune Lounge.

SS, SY, SZ are superior suites - more expensive than a verandah cabin, significantly less than a suite. Almost the same size as a suite, but without the perks. Only on the Vista and Signature class ships, not the older "S" and "R" class.

On those same Vista/Signature ships, the verandah cabins are broken down into categories from VA (most expensive, some are on the stern of the ship with a view of the wake), VB, etc. down to VF and VH - which have solid steel walls instead of clear plexiglass ones. Some variations in the size of balconies, but price difference has more to do with location, and all the cabins are basically the same. On the older ships, verandahs are A (most expensive), B, BA, BB, BC. Only difference - location.

You can find all of these categories in a printed brochure.

No other line uses the same abbreviations....you have to learn a whole new "vocabulary". Incentive to cruise more and try different ships! :)

yep takes a while to get used to ive been in chat rooms and 3d games for over 7 yrs and we didnt use these ds dw and ect ..we had diffrent lingos... youll catch on soon !! :D :D

I hear ya. I was an operator for a few years for the largest (at the time) chat network in the world, EFnet IRC. Being involved in multiple MMORPGs and various facets on online socializing, I have to say this is the first place I have ever encountered that uses the "DH/DW/etc" acronyms. I'm sure I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but I personally find it annoying to read. It's not hard to type "wife" instead of "DW"! Though, it's just like real life, ya gotta go with the local law of the land. And the locals here like their acronyms, hehe.

• Administrators
I hear ya. I was an operator for a few years for the largest (at the time) chat network in the world, EFnet IRC. Being involved in multiple MMORPGs and various facets on online socializing, I have to say this is the first place I have ever encountered that uses the "DH/DW/etc" acronyms. I'm sure I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but I personally find it annoying to read. It's not hard to type "wife" instead of "DW"! Though, it's just like real life, ya gotta go with the local law of the land. And the locals here like their acronyms, hehe.

I've never seen them on the mmorpg forums I visit either, but I do see them pretty commonly on disney travel forums, child raising forums -- places where it's common for folks to discuss their family members. Sorry it bothers you, but it's like most things -- once you get used to it, you won't even notice it. It really is quicker to type DH than "my husband," especially if you are going to be using that phrase several times in a post or review.

Archived