First Cruise as a Non-Smoker...

venicecruiser

Hope my HAL friends will forgive a little bit of self-congratulation.....I am 9 weeks smoke-free today! I will be cruising as a non-smoker for the very first time beginning Oct 14 on Maasdam.

I'm wondering how different it will be not have to search out the "smoking allowed" areas.....Now I can sit in the Lido pool area again!

Thanks for indulging me.............

Claudia

Oh, Claudia, CONGRATULATIONS! Quitting smoking has to be one of life's most difficult accomplishments. BE CAREFUL onboard. I was 5 months smoke free when we boarded the Ryndam a while back. Out of nowhere, I bought a pack of cigarettes at a bar. Lit one up and it tasted wonderful - like I'd never quit. There was just something about sitting at that bar ... I had to have a smoke.

I'm still struggling to quit again, but know if I do I'll have to find a different place to sit around on a ship. Not smoking is more than just not smoking - it's a total change in everything one does.

So you have my best wishes - and a warning. Be careful out there, that addiction is just waiting for the right time to pounce. :)

Hope my HAL friends will forgive a little bit of self-congratulation.....I am 9 weeks smoke-free today! I will be cruising as a non-smoker for the very first time beginning Oct 14 on Maasdam.

I'm wondering how different it will be not have to search out the "smoking allowed" areas.....Now I can sit in the Lido pool area again!

Claudia

Congratulations on being smoke-free for 9 weeks.

Enjoy your cruise.

Huge CONGRATULATIONS to you, Claudia.

You KNOW it is the very best thing you can do for yourself and those you love and who love you.

DON'T let a momentary passing urge tempt you to even one puff. There is no such thing as 'one won't hurt me' It will!

HAVE A FABULOUS smoke free cruise.

Keep at it, the rewards are huge. :)

DON'T let a momentary passing urge tempt you to even one puff. There is no such thing as 'one won't hurt me' It will!

Sail is TOO TOO correct here, so pay attention to what she says. Had I resisted that one urge, I'd be nearly 2 years smoke free. Claudia, you have me more determined than ever now. I was planning to try again at Christmastime - but just put one out and tossed the rest of the pack away. No matter how it comes out for me - THANK YOU Claudia. Your timing on this thread was just perfect!

Hi There Miss Claudia

So glad to hear that you have quit, and for 9 weeks. Now about those other habits(HA HA):p

Sorry we cannot go with you on this trip we are so busy at work no way we can take off. Going on the Veendam for Thanksgiving this year. Cannot wait.

If you get a chance call me or I'll give ya a call soon.

Take care

Taylor

Oh, Claudia, CONGRATULATIONS! Quitting smoking has to be one of life's most difficult accomplishments. BE CAREFUL onboard. I was 5 months smoke free when we boarded the Ryndam a while back. Out of nowhere, I bought a pack of cigarettes at a bar. Lit one up and it tasted wonderful - like I'd never quit. There was just something about sitting at that bar ... I had to have a smoke.

I agree with GmaPajama and offer my congratulations too! My story though is a little different, quit 3 years ago and have cruise many times since. I did lite up a cigarette on my first cruise after quitting, and ofcouse I totally enjoyed it, but it did not cause me to go back to smoking. I probably had a total of 8 cigarettes spread over the first year, maybe 6 last year and I think I'm at 2 for this year. I actually gave myself permission to screw up and not beat myself up over it. I think the thought of never being able to smoke again was so devastating to me because I liked smoking, I needed to give myself some leeway and that has worked for me, not to say it would for others. So go on your cruise, you will be fine. Go to the bars have your drink, and eat the snacks instead of lighting up. There are so many benefits being a non smoker cruising. Just think no hunting around for somewhere to smoke, no more dirty looks from non smokers cause now you are one. Keep it up Claudia and GmaPajama good luck on your next try, you can do it, it took me several tries........

Good Good Good:D

Imagine the money you'll save from now on. Just think how that amount might translate to a spa day aboard ship or a more expensive excursion or something from the jewelry counter.

Is it time to book another HAL cruise to reward yourself?

Thanks, everyone! Believe me when I say that I will NOT smoke again. I do miss it from time to time, mostly when I'm having a drink. But I know that quitting again would NEVER be as easy as it was this time.

I quit the day I was admitted to the hospital thru the ER as I was having my second gallbladder attack. I had what is called a "sick" gallbladder, so before the surgery could happen, I had to be on some heavy duty IV antibiotics and I had to come off Coumadin. I was having pain, of course, so from Sunday until Tuesday I was on major pain meds and could only have ice chips by mouth. I slept most of the time unless I was having some kind of test done so I never really minded or thought about not being able to smoke. After I had the surgery and came home from the hospital, I promptly came down with bronchitis so again, I never thought about smoking. By this time, what would have been the worst part of nicotine withdrawal was over. A couple of times since then I have wanted a smoke, but did not cave. My Mom and I have cocktails every late afternoon so I am now used to drinking without smoking. Now you understand why I say quitting again would never be this easy....

The "worst" part of all this is that I fear I am turning into one of those ex-smokers that make smokers nuts. I cannot stand the smell now....

Donna - I know you can do it! Just take it one day at a time and anytime you want to pick up a smoke, pick up a snack instead!

Claudia

Claudia

Congratulations from another ex-smoker (18 months and counting).

My first cruise after giving up was a bit tricky with memories of being on deck watching the waves, smoke in hand.........

I soon found a solution: Eat, Eat, Eat:) .

Now I'm trying to lose the 20lb I put on:eek:

Cheers,

Steve.

Claudia..... That was hardly an 'easy way' to quit smoking but I know what you mean about having just about slept through the nicotine withdrawal. What an awful way to quit but any way that accomplishes it, has a silver lining.

Happy you are feeling better. You've been through a hard time.

Keep feeling better. :)

Thanks, everyone! Believe me when I say that I will NOT smoke again. I do miss it from time to time, mostly when I'm having a drink. But I know that quitting again would NEVER be as easy as it was this time.

I quit the day I was admitted to the hospital thru the ER as I was having my second gallbladder attack. I had what is called a "sick" gallbladder, so before the surgery could happen, I had to be on some heavy duty IV antibiotics and I had to come off Coumadin. I was having pain, of course, so from Sunday until Tuesday I was on major pain meds and could only have ice chips by mouth. I slept most of the time unless I was having some kind of test done so I never really minded or thought about not being able to smoke. After I had the surgery and came home from the hospital, I promptly came down with bronchitis so again, I never thought about smoking. By this time, what would have been the worst part of nicotine withdrawal was over. A couple of times since then I have wanted a smoke, but did not cave. My Mom and I have cocktails every late afternoon so I am now used to drinking without smoking. Now you understand why I say quitting again would never be this easy....

The "worst" part of all this is that I fear I am turning into one of those ex-smokers that make smokers nuts. I cannot stand the smell now....

Donna - I know you can do it! Just take it one day at a time and anytime you want to pick up a smoke, pick up a snack instead!

Claudia

Wow, Claudia, that's quite a story. I'm so glad that you're now doing well and are not smoking, too! I know what you mean....I quit smoking quite a few years ago (after many attempts...the first being in '68 before I became prenant with our 1st child...and did fine...until it was thought that she would be born stillborn, and I caved. She was born and was fine...but I had a hard time giving it up again for several years).

My point is, after several lame attempts, the time I had success was the last time I quit...when the smell of smoke actually made me ill. It still does to this day. So, still to this day....I am one of those obnoxious reformed smokers....better that than to be still lighting up!

Keep up the good work! :D

Congratulations Claudia....from one former smoker to you. Just remember the ship has a nice gym and you can take long walks on the lido just in case you get little urges. This will be your most important year. Once you make it past this one - It will get easy for you. You will always have the urge. You just need to learn how to control it. Good luck, I hope you suceed. Just think, of all the money you can save for more cruising.;)

Claudia

Huge, huge,accomplishment !!!! Congratulations !!:) :) :)

I am 23 years smoke free. But like just like GmaPajama,one dinner party (I had quit for three years) and blam!! right back to square one.

Finally, just like she is doing ,got my head around quitting again.That was twenty three years ago and counting.

Here's a lttle math exercise I used to help me through.Last time I did it I was staggered by the total.

25cigs per day x7days per weekx52 weeks per yearx 23years equals

209,300 cigarettes I haven't smoked.:eek:

1 pack per dayx $8.00 avg a pack(now over $10.00 here in Canada,never bought by the carton I was always going to quit ,:) ) x7 days per weekx52 weeks per year x23 years equals.

$ 66,976.00 I haven't spent on cigarettes.. ( that's a lot of cruisin':D )

Good luck to everyone !!! As Sails says it's the absolute best thing you can do for yourself.!!!!

Quitting is NOT an easy thing...........

never easy to give up something you "enjoy" or at least think you enjoy

IMHO, however, it takes time and support from family and friends to conquer the battle (or war:mad:) against smoking..

Congratulations on quitting Claudia!!

don't look back .. just look forward ..

enjoy your smoke free cruise!:)

Another thank you for all the support.

Steve - I know what you mean about the weight gain! I'm now trying to get rid of the 8-9 pounds I put on over the last 9 weeks!

One very good thing about the friends and roomie I will be with on Maasdam - they are all non-smokers!

Thanks again, everyone!

Claudia

I also quit smoking. It is now over 2 years. There are usually 4 of us who go on holiday together and I am the only non smoker. Quite often I will be left sat by myself as the rest go for a smoke or I will sit in the smoking area with them. It is becoming very anti-social to smoke now but in saying that I know how much I used to enjoy a ciggy.

Billy.

Congratulations VeniceCruiser on your achievement!:D Like so many others who have posted, I have been fortunate and had my last cigarette almost eight years ago, after several unsuccessful attempts. I am one of those people who will never, ever, be able to have 'just one' cig. And with time, I am evolving into one of those icky Reformed Smokers who now finds the smell quite noxious and tries to avoid it as much as possible.:eek:

For the others who have not yet been successful in beating this addiction, I would like to join the chorus of those wishing you every success with your next attempt. It is a really tough nut to crack, but so worth it.:)

Welcome to the club! People don't believe me when I say I can smell the faintest hint of smoke. :)

It's been 20 years for me. I had the opposite experience soon after quitting: at a bar, having drinks and decided to have a cigarette. I found it disgusting, so that was it for me! Sure, after that I'd still have a craving for an after-dinner smoke (gag at the idea now!), but memories of that first relapse experience prevented me from following through.

Archived