Looking for a good cruise ship for teens

spring162

Hi all, I am searching for a cruise for a group of 17 people. Youngest kid is 12 but we really want to make sure there is enough for the teens to do so they leave us adults alone LOL! I would appreciate any recommendations for a good ship. We want to sail in June 09 and see the Eastern caribbean. We are finding that this time is very busy of the year. We spent alot of time researching another line and that cruise is already sold out of most cabin types we need. Please help me switch gears quickly. Thanks

All Carnival ships have programs for teens, tweens and younger kids.

Im reciting from memory so don't take this as gospel, but I believe "Club O2" is for teens ages 15-17, "Circle C" is for 11-14, and Camp Carnival is for the little ones. They have structured programs that keep them busy for most of the day, and into the evening. Not having kids, I can't tell you much more, but I have heard good things from people that have had kids in those programs.

In any case, alot of us appreciate (people like) you taking the time to find a program for them to participate in, as opposed to just turning them loose on the ship like some folks do. :)

We took our 2 kids 2 years ago on carnival to belize, costa maya, grand cayman and cozumel , )summer time). They loved Camp Carnival ( for the 5 year old ) and club 02 for the 15 year old. They made great friends and wanted to be with them all the time. Great, left DW and myself for " our time" ;) . This year we gave them a choice of an all iclusive vacation or a cruise, hands down a cruise. 8 day this time and they get out of school to go. We chose this time because DS will be 18 on Dec 16 and there is nothing for 18 year old to do on the ships so we decided to go a little earlier than planned to accomodate his age. Not sure how many kids will be on the ship this time of year but the kids did not care, our PVP at carnival says there are kids year round so we will see. But who cares, we will be cruising in Mexico where it will be warmer than here in Idaho in December !!!:D

Sorry,

Forgot to add that we did swim with stingrays in Grand Cayman, Cave tubing in Belize,Beach in Costa Maya and shopping/ beach in Cozumel. DS did cave tubing with Club 02 and got to eat bugs, said they tasted like mint. Oh well they had fun. You can also pay a fee to have the younger ones stay late in camp carnival if you want a adult night and pick them up when you are done. I think the only time they could not be at camp was dinner time. Hpoe this helps, would recommend it to anyone with kids.

Out of all the carnival ships we sailed while at one time or another one of my kids was 12 and up, the glory was our favorite.

It's a pretty ship.

My kids have had fun on every cruise we've been on. So, book whatever fits your timeline or budget and your kids will have a good time. Kids are good at having fun, it's what they do best :)

I do have to say tho, if it were me and the youngest kid going was 12, I would rather book an rccl ship. I think and I know my kids prefer, rccl is better for teens.

We have been cruising CCL since my kids have been 12/15. (they are now 17/20) The older one never made use of Club 02, while the younger one loved the activities. Last cruise, dd17 wasn't thrilled with the club activities, but used it to meet up with new friends the first night - they would then hang somewhere on the ship to talk, use the hottubs, get pizza, etc. As far as what ship - I would go by itinerary. We always sit with the "kids" and let them help plan our excursions. I have offered many times to try RCCL - they refuse. They know they would not make use of the flow-rider, rock wall, or skating rink. They are now at the age that they don't mind (sometimes) hanging with us - they bring their ipods and sit , go to certain shows, etc. They also refuse to go back on Disney. (saves us money!) They are happy with Carnival, and feel no need to go elsewhere.

Thanks for all the advice. RCCL was our original thought but believe it or not 5000 or so other people had the exact same thought already. We cant get on unless the 17 of us all stay in outside rooms to a tune of 7200.00 or so for our family of 5. I thought that was a little steep since we would still have airfare, excursions, drinks, tips etc. Just wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot if I decided to change cruise lines since all the kids have been pouring over the RCCL brochure and cant wait to do Flowrider, rockclimbing and skating.:confused:

I heartily agree with all comments above!!!!!....my teen has never met a Carnival ship she didnt like. She is disappointed that when we do our Med cruise next summer, we have to do another cruise line due to Carnivals change in itinerary for that area.

We chose this time because DS will be 18 on Dec 16 and there is nothing for 18 year old to do on the ships so we decided to go a little earlier than planned to accomodate his age

sheistheboss-you do know the can get into the adult clubs at 18 right? I would say there would be "plenty" for an 18yr old guy to do ;)

Thanks for all the advice. RCCL was our original thought but believe it or not 5000 or so other people had the exact same thought already. We cant get on unless the 17 of us all stay in outside rooms to a tune of 7200.00 or so for our family of 5. I thought that was a little steep since we would still have airfare, excursions, drinks, tips etc. Just wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot if I decided to change cruise lines since all the kids have been pouring over the RCCL brochure and cant wait to do Flowrider, rockclimbing and skating.:confused:

I know out of Galveston, Voyager of the Seas has been running specials starting at $499 for insides, $599 for OVs and $699 for balconsy, but these are guarantees. So, you might not be together and some of these prices have already started to rise, its been about 2 weeks since they started these special prices on almost every date. The dates might not work for you either.

Most teens do say they prefer RCL if you are comparing cruiselines. Under age 10, both Carnival and RCL seem to be equally popular with children.

Look around and look at other ports??

Port Carnveral often has specials. The Dream will be coming from Carnival vs. Mariner from RCL. The Dream is a newish ship and will have some new features from Carnival too. If you are flying in anyway, maybe look at other ports too.

Hi,

We just went on the Liberty July 2008 and our 15 year old had a blast. We also did the Valor 2 summers ago. Our daughter didn't go into the teen club until the middle of the week and she was so disappointed that she didn't go sooner. There were over 900 kids on the Liberty that week. She met so many kids and still keeps in touch with many of them. The sooner you book, the cheaper it is. We are going on the Freedom with a Cruise Critic group (the same group we went on the Liberty with:p ) July 2010 to Costa Rica and the Panama Canal. We are just waiting for the prices to come out. Can't wait.

You never know week from week how many teens will be on the ship or what ship. My 3 kids have been cruising with me since my first Miracle cruise. My oldest 2 are teens and have always had a good time. Carnival makes sure of it.

No need to worry on a Carnival cruise. We drag our kids in when we are tired and "need" to go to bed. You'll have LOTS of "free" time.....LOL!

Last March Break we went with 3 families and did Panama, Belize and Isle Roatan. The March Break before we did southern ~ St. Thomas, Dominica, Aruba and Barbados.

The cruise before that was Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

2009 is a repeat of Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

It doesn't matter where you go......they will make friends (if they don't bring their own! or even if they do!).

Pick the dates and itinerary that best suits you and go for it!

Our next cruise was based on two things......I booked connecting ocean view....first time ever and a newer ship.....going with 2 other families and we can't wait!!

Have fun!

Hi,

We just went on the Liberty July 2008 and our 15 year old had a blast. We also did the Valor 2 summers ago. Our daughter didn't go into the teen club until the middle of the week and she was so disappointed that she didn't go sooner. There were over 900 kids on the Liberty that week. She met so many kids and still keeps in touch with many of them. The sooner you book, the cheaper it is. We are going on the Freedom with a Cruise Critic group (the same group we went on the Liberty with:p ) July 2010 to Costa Rica and the Panama Canal. We are just waiting for the prices to come out. Can't wait.

Thats one of the best parts for the teens...the new friends they meet! My DD met a gal from Belgium last year on the Liberty, then our DD went to visit them in Orlando last winter break, then her friend from Belgium met us in Puerto Rico over the summer.

My kids have been on about 10 cruises (ages now 10 and 14) They have had fun on RCL, Princess and Carnival. I think the key for the teenagers is to attend the club the first night to make friends. My daughther hung out with kids from all over the country and a few from Europe and had a blast. My younger one usually meets a friend at the pool or on the beach and hangs out with one girl all week. Have fun.

Thats one of the best parts for the teens...the new friends they meet! My DD met a gal from Belgium last year on the Liberty, then our DD went to visit them in Orlando last winter break, then her friend from Belgium met us in Puerto Rico over the summer.

Thats really cool!!!!!;)

Should be a law against teens going on cruise ships any time. They just ruin the cruise for adults.
Well there isn't a law with them going, so plenty will continue to do so. I guess it has been a long time since you were a teen, and let me guess...you were the perfect teenager.

Archived