Curious as to what others think would be fair?

My concern would be is the "water" actually sewage?

If so, there are a whole myriad of problems which it can cause:

"Besides being exposed to bacteria and viruses, a person exposed to raw sewage may develop a range of illnesses, including gastroenteritis, which is marked by diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal cramping. The sometimes-fatal Weil's disease is another common problem, which causes symptoms that resemble the flu and can lead to liver and kidney damage. Occupational asthma, caused by inhaling certain organisms, is another risk of exposure. Even the skin and eyes are not immune, as infection can develop here as well."

The response from the staff was inadequate as is the offer of compensation.

Well, had they chosen to accept, Royal Carribean's solution was to move them to an inside cabin. What was the difference in price between a JS and an inside cabin on the date they booked? I'd subtract the two, and refund the difference.

+$100 OBC to be used toward next cruise

+15% off next cruise fare.

I totally understand why they offer discounts on future cruises. Many will never redeem them and then RCCL is out nothing.
And that's why they do it!

I agree -- and I think everyone else does too -- that too many people complain about picky little things, but being run out of your room is not a picky little thing. What'd be fair? Considering they were moved around a couple times, unsure of possible health hazzards from this unknown water, and generally just wasted a good bit of their cruise on this nonsense, I think 50% refund for their current cruise would be fair.

Personally, I would've taken the inside room and been done with it. Don't get me wrong, I would've been massively disappointed, but at least I'd have known that the misery was going to end there. And I've have expected a large refund -- more than the difference between the cost of the inside and the Junior Suite.

Taking a completely different tact, OP, did you personally see the wet carpet? If not, I am suspicious of just how wet it might've been. 10% off a future cruise is paltry, and it makes me suspect that the people in that room might've exaggerated the quantity of water a bit. None of us responding out in cyber-land really know.

we had a simaliar situation when we were on a cruise in the granduar of the seas-woke up first morning and our room was flooded-we were in a cat d1

They gave us a regular room to use throughout the day-when they finally figured that the room was not gonna be dry and usable they moved us to a js balcony aft! They also gave us cards to the concieage(?) lounge and certificates with an letter of apology for what amounted to $400 off our next cruise. I thought this was fair and reasonable. I did thought make sure that I was in contact all day with a supervisor and told them in no uncertain terms that I was not going to spend the cruise in the regular room- one it was not what I paid for and two the four of us would not have fit in it.

I would say a bit more then 10% should be fore coming

There is so much about this that would have me livid! First, walking around in water that I don't know where it came from. Second, being barred from my room, with all my belongings in it, the whole day for cleaning. Third, coming back to a bad odor and the carpet still wet. Fourth, waking up again to the mysterious wetness. Fifth, having to pack everything I already unpacked, just to move to another room. No, I would not have accepted an indoor room when I paid for a JS and patiently waited all year to be in that room.

10% definitely is not sufficient in this case.

In a case like this, something has to be done to satisfy the customer right then in there. How about giving them the OS bingo prize? How about a healthy on board credit? Like someone else said, a complimentary Chops meal, bottle of wine, etc could have gone a long way.

we had a simaliar situation when we were on a cruise in the granduar of the seas-woke up first morning and our room was flooded-we were in a cat d1

They gave us a regular room to use throughout the day-when they finally figured that the room was not gonna be dry and usable they moved us to a js balcony aft! They also gave us cards to the concieage(?) lounge and certificates with an letter of apology for what amounted to $400 off our next cruise. I thought this was fair and reasonable. I did thought make sure that I was in contact all day with a supervisor and told them in no uncertain terms that I was not going to spend the cruise in the regular room- one it was not what I paid for and two the four of us would not have fit in it.

I would say a bit more then 10% should be fore coming

Sorry, O/T for a moment....this was Grandeur? Concierge Lounge? When did this event occur, if I may ask? Recently? We are hoping for a concierge lounge on Grandeur, which is why I am asking. We sail next month. Thanks. :) :)

Sorry, O/T for a moment....this was Grandeur? Concierge Lounge? When did this event occur, if I may ask? Recently? We are hoping for a concierge lounge on Grandeur, which is why I am asking. We sail next month. Thanks. :) :)

Grandeur does not have a Consierge lounge...

Yes I know that. That's why I was asking cruiselady when she sailed. Thanks for your input. :) And back to the original topic please. :D

My point is it does not have a Concierge lounge and that she may have been mistaken:) ...I was trying not to be condesending...:eek:

Mistaken?, Entirely possible. I appreciate your response. It's just that there are a couple of rumors floating around about the next couple of months.....and I have been hoping....thanks. :) But please, sorry for the interruption. And signatures off maybe reerran for multiple replies? thanks.

I think if I were unable to use my cabin for a couple/few days as a result of faulty ships systems, I would then expect onboard compensation at a minimum. Wine for DW, six pack of beer for me, choc strawberries for the cabin...etc...would all be in order if I had to take a downgrade in cabin and stay away from the cabin I paid for...

I think if I were unable to use my cabin for a couple/few days as a result of faulty ships systems, I would then expect onboard compensation at a minimum. Wine for DW, six pack of beer for me, choc strawberries for the cabin...etc...would all be in order if I had to take a downgrade in cabin and stay away from the cabin I paid for...

Only a six-pack, come on Dave ;) ;) :p

###

Proof again that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Compensation at least.

Difference in price between JS cabin and cabin moved to for # of days.

As a show of goodwill $ 200 OBC for each Pax, for inconvenience.

2 free dinners at Chops/Portofinos, as an additional show of goodwill.

Amazingly they (corporate) accrue for just such contingencies. So it isn't like they don't have the expense/reduction of income set aside.

And the hotel director HAS to know this, HAS TO KNOW!

This is coming from an accountant of over 30 years experience!

Within 2 hours delivered to their suite was a letter of apology and a paper offering her a discount of 10% off her next cruise :eek: .

What do you think? Was this enough compensation for what they had to go through?

I think they were hosed....:D

Sorry couldnt find post, and then got busy first week back to work and all. I believe the cabin number was 9544, I assume everything was fixed in that cabin because last half of the week it was all dry. Makes me wonder though when the first attendant came and said something about it happening AGAIN! That floored me why wasnt it taken care of properly the very first time. They are due to get off from their B2B on Sunday, so we should be hearing from them soon after. I will try and post what happened in the end if anything. I am very curious and agree that 10% off next cruise was not enough. She was almost in tears first couple of evenings at dinner, we did shows together and even played slots together, we just wanted to try and make her cruise a little more enjoyable and she said we did and became good friends in the process. A little understanding and consideration and kindness was all she needed just wish it would have came from the staff.

I have never liked the future cruise discounts as compensation...I get what the cruise line is trying to do but I feel that compensation should be made for the cruise where the challenge occured...I work as a Guest Service Manager in a hotel and am familiar with reasonable similar situations...I can assure you that I would have been a little more understanding with compensation. I understand there may not have been other available cabins but I don't think a 25%+ discount off the current cruise would have been un called for

Archived