Bringing Cheese on Board

tgetz

I know what the rules are about bringing alcohol, vs wine on board, but have not ever seen anything regarding cheese. I agree that the cheese choices on HAL are very limited and not that great. We really enjoy a nice cheese with a glass of wine and we have purchased cheeses in France and brought them on board with no problem, but i can't remember if that was with HAL, also or just with Celebrity. I also wonder if htere is some health issue doing this? I know you can't take food off the ship, but not sure about bringing it on.. The next cruise in December is in South AMerica, and we have found where we can purchase some very nice wines in Santiago, but wnat to be sure we can bring them on board. Does anyone have any idea? I am sure i can call HAL and get 5 different answers.... thanks

Cruise lines often limit the alcohol one can bring onboard because they don't want no stinking drunks jumping off the ship. They also sell alcohol and therefore it's competition.

Bring your cheese and don't forget the crackers.

Cruise lines often limit the alcohol one can bring onboard because they don't want no stinking drunks jumping off the ship.

Do those that buy their alcohol onboard shower before jumping drunkenly overboard? :D

Is this not going a bit too far?:eek: What's next, bringing your own fleur de sel because the table salt is too pedestrian? What about your own sheets because the linen on board is too coarse for you? It's a vacation! Just enjoy it! By the way, they have a nice cheese plate in the dining room!

Let the flames begin!

No flames to DougandEric (love your avatar, btw). This was our experience (from the linked thread) in May/08

Before our last cruise, I got a tip on this board about getting a dessert cheese plate from the dining room for our "bedtime snack", as the room service cheese plates weren't very good, and the dining room ones were MUCH better.

So I did that one night. We were underwhelmed, totally, and actually ordered a room service cheese plate to see the difference. We could detect no difference.

Our evening routine includes a pre-bed glass of wine along with some nice cheeses (an old cheddar, some brie, possibly some Stilton and a nice blue). I really enjoy it, and would like to be able to do it on the ship, too. Are these kinds of cheeses available? Or are we going to be stuck with rubber cheddar, some mozzarella and a bit of havarti?

Must I resort to stuffing my preferred cheeses into Rum Runners and smuggling them onboard, or is there some way of getting "upgraded" cheese plates?

This was not an exaggeration -- we got RUBBER cheese. I wouldn't bring fleur de sel, I don't usually use salt :D For me, good food is a creature comfort that is an important part of a vacation.

I have brought cheese on board many times. Have this wonderful Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese dip recipe that goes well with anything your drinking, have taken this on several cruises, too. My DH laughs at me, but always enjoys what I bring. Hal doesn't seem to have any problems about passengers sleping any food products on board.

I have brought cheese on board many times. Have this wonderful Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese dip recipe that goes well with anything your drinking, have taken this on several cruises, too. My DH laughs at me, but always enjoys what I bring. Hal doesn't seem to have any problems about passengers sleping any food products on board.

Sounds great!!! Please share!!:) :)

I have brought cheese on board many times. Have this wonderful Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese dip recipe that goes well with anything your drinking, have taken this on several cruises, too.

Uh, so where's the recipe? ;)

Sounds great!!! Please share!!:) :)

I knew this was going to happen, here goes, it's very simple, but oh soooooooo good.

! cup heavy cream

2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg ( yes-you heard me right nutmeg)

put all in a heavy saucepan, simmer over medium-high heat

add two cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese 1/2 cup at a time stirring until all cheese is incorporated. Stir for 1 more minute and then remove from heat. Pour into shallow, heat resistant dish or containers. Cover and refrigerate until stiff. I like to let it soften up some before serving. Any crackers or bread sticks will do and it is good with fresh fruit too.......I've double this recipe many times with no problems.

See I told you it was simple........Bon Appetit

I knew this was going to happen, here goes, it's very simple, but oh soooooooo good.

! cup heavy cream

add two cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese 1/2 cup at a time stirring until all cheese is incorporated. Stir for 1 more minute and then remove from heat. Pour into shallow, heat resistant dish or containers. Cover and refrigerate until stiff. I like to let it soften up some before serving. Any crackers or bread sticks will do and it is good with fresh fruit too.......I've double this recipe many times with no problems.

MMMMmmmmmmmm thats does sound good

Thank you for sharing it.

We are big cheese and cracker people, so we'll definately give that a try :)

! cup heavy cream

garlic, cream, cheese, nutmeg.... what's not to like? Thanks

Archived