Portofino: Wine Dinner Series - New!!!

ancldaca

I just stepped of the AOS and on Friday night had the pleasant experience in participating in a new dining offering inside Portofino. It is called the Wine Dinner Series and is a fixed menu event. The cost was $54.50 which included the wine paired with each dish.

According to my waitress, it was the first time this was done on the AOS and was also being tried this past week on the Liberty and n the Mariner before rolling this concept out fleet-wide.

Here's a cut and paste from in my cruise journal:

10:42pm

18 05.17N

63 50.06W

Course: 279

Speed: 8.6 Kts

Wow! What a dinner that was.

Ok, let me set this up for you all. Tonight, across 3 ships of the Royal Caribbean fleet (the Mariner, the Liberty, and the AOS) the public at large had its first chance to try out the new Wine Dinner Series at Portofino.

So, what is the Wine Dinner Series? It is a fixed 5 course menu dinner with each dish paired with its particular (when possible Italian) wine. The price is $54.50 per person (vs. the usual $20 at Portofino) but do remember that it includes the wines.

The appetizer was a Tuna Carpaccio ad Tomato Tartare with Kalamata olives, Crispy lettuce and herb oil. This was paired with a Danzante Pinot Grigio from Veneto. I found that the olive and pesto oil nicely complemented the carpaccio and the basil cut through the tomato tartar very nicely. The pinot grigio paired up nicely and didn’t overpower the dish.

Next, was the pan seared Bay Scallops and Lobster in Basil seafood Nage and double whipped mashed potatoes. This was paired with a La Vita Lucente, a sangiovese/merlot blend from Tuscany. The seafood was cooked perfectly and the sauce was terrific. We (me and the other two diners who signed up for this) felt that the wine was fantastic but that it overpowered the dish.

Then we had a so called house salad which was a mixture of Radicchio, Arugula, Romaine, Belgium endive, Cherry tomatoes, olives, Fennel, deep fried prosciutto, with a feta cheese and chives dressing. The salad worked for me very well. I loved the deep fried prosciutto adding that smoky flavor and additional crispiness to the dish. If anything, I found the portion pretty big and it could be halved without detracting from the meal.

The Main Course was terrific. It was roasted beef tenderloin medallions served with a parmesan custard, asparagus, sweet corn pure and a golden shallot reduction. This dish was paired with a Il Ducale Chianti Classico, also from Tuscany. The tenderloin was cooked to perfection and we all loved the sweet corn puree as well as the parmesan custard. The Chianti was good but we all felt that the first red we had, the La Vita Lucente, would have made a much better pairing - if there were no asparagus which have a very strong taste; maybe with the zucchini they have available at Portofino.

Finally, the dessert. It was a pair of mascarpone and strawberry crepes with citrus scented Galliano syrup, candied orange peel and Almond Florentine. The wine was an Errazuriz late harvest sauvignon blanc, from Casablanca Valley, Chile. It was the only non-italian wine on the menu. The dessert was soft, warm, and no one taste overpowered the others. It was a very sublime experience and I’m usually not much of a dessert guy (although I freely recognize that I had my fair share of them on this cruise).

All in all, a terrific experience. An excellent menu which, in my opinion, only needs some minor tweaking to be even grander: if a red is to be used for the seafood course it needs to be much lighter so as to not overpower the more delicate seafood, a smaller sized salad course, and maybe moving that wonderful La Vite Lucente to the main course because it could have held its own with the dish.

I don’t know how quickly they will roll this out to the fleet, but once they do, I highly encourage you to try this experience. I’m sure they’ll continue running a few more “public” tests first but, in my opinion, this is about 97% ready to go.

It was a terrific experience which I can highly recommend!!!

Appetizer.jpg.2e8426e7a598f6d59859d6dff8a881f8.jpg

Seafood.jpg.2fa5a750c66fd200e96b0da2e9c9a5d9.jpg

Salad.jpg.3ef1bf5928d489684db4f48126bf795e.jpg

Tenderloin.jpg.2f3342bdd987fa9871e86d2d700cb228.jpg

Dessert.jpg.77780ca1ed56a6cc32a6493484f53055.jpg

Good question Loyal2RCCL. To be honest, I basiclly stopped drinking 3 years ago and only sip now and then at events like this. I didn't pay close attention but I believe that Jeanette did refill a glass at the other table. Whether that is because there were only three of us trying this out and thus wine being still available in the bottle, or if that is/will be policy, I don't know. However, we were served good and generous glasses (again, maybe because it was just 3 of us participating).

Another point I missed in my review. We were all requestd to dine at 7:30pm (I had a standing 8pm all week long); a couple that wanted to participate but for 8:30pm was not accomodated. We finished about 3 hours later.

gdpups: The fee for this dinner was advertised in the sme manner as Portofino's regular fee.

Personally, I've always tipped on top off the other nights (as I don't order alcohol) and did so in this case as well.

I just stepped of the AOS and on Friday night had the pleasant experience in participating in a new dining offering inside Portofino. It is called the Wine Dinner Series and is a fixed menu event. The cost was $54.50 which included the wine paired with each dish.

According to my waitress, it was the first time this was done on the AOS and was also being tried this past week on the Liberty and n the Mariner before rolling this concept out fleet-wide.

Thank you for this review. Did you book this on line on the RCI website or did you wait until on the ship? Is it offered more than once on the cruise.

Reason I ask is two days ago I went to My Cruises to try and book it for my Liberty Nov cruise the only date on the drop down arrow was embarkation day @ 7:30pm. Now when I go to my sailing it has the same embarkation daday as the only date available but @ 8:45pm. I am wondering if they had two seatings or just changed the time.

How many people at each seating for this event

Here's a cut and paste from in my cruise journal:

10:42pm

18 05.17N

63 50.06W

Course: 279

Speed: 8.6 Kts

Wow! What a dinner that was.

Ok, let me set this up for you all. Tonight, across 3 ships of the Royal Caribbean fleet (the Mariner, the Liberty, and the AOS) the public at large had its first chance to try out the new Wine Dinner Series at Portofino.

So, what is the Wine Dinner Series? It is a fixed 5 course menu dinner with each dish paired with its particular (when possible Italian) wine. The price is $54.50 per person (vs. the usual $20 at Portofino) but do remember that it includes the wines.

The appetizer was a Tuna Carpaccio ad Tomato Tartare with Kalamata olives, Crispy lettuce and herb oil. This was paired with a Danzante Pinot Grigio from Veneto. I found that the olive and pesto oil nicely complemented the carpaccio and the basil cut through the tomato tartar very nicely. The pinot grigio paired up nicely and didn’t overpower the dish.

Next, was the pan seared Bay Scallops and Lobster in Basil seafood Nage and double whipped mashed potatoes. This was paired with a La Vita Lucente, a sangiovese/merlot blend from Tuscany. The seafood was cooked perfectly and the sauce was terrific. We (me and the other two diners who signed up for this) felt that the wine was fantastic but that it overpowered the dish.

Then we had a so called house salad which was a mixture of Radicchio, Arugula, Romaine, Belgium endive, Cherry tomatoes, olives, Fennel, deep fried prosciutto, with a feta cheese and chives dressing. The salad worked for me very well. I loved the deep fried prosciutto adding that smoky flavor and additional crispiness to the dish. If anything, I found the portion pretty big and it could be halved without detracting from the meal.

The Main Course was terrific. It was roasted beef tenderloin medallions served with a parmesan custard, asparagus, sweet corn pure and a golden shallot reduction. This dish was paired with a Il Ducale Chianti Classico, also from Tuscany. The tenderloin was cooked to perfection and we all loved the sweet corn puree as well as the parmesan custard. The Chianti was good but we all felt that the first red we had, the La Vita Lucente, would have made a much better pairing - if there were no asparagus which have a very strong taste; maybe with the zucchini they have available at Portofino.

Finally, the dessert. It was a pair of mascarpone and strawberry crepes with citrus scented Galliano syrup, candied orange peel and Almond Florentine. The wine was an Errazuriz late harvest sauvignon blanc, from Casablanca Valley, Chile. It was the only non-italian wine on the menu. The dessert was soft, warm, and no one taste overpowered the others. It was a very sublime experience and I’m usually not much of a dessert guy (although I freely recognize that I had my fair share of them on this cruise).

All in all, a terrific experience. An excellent menu which, in my opinion, only needs some minor tweaking to be even grander: if a red is to be used for the seafood course it needs to be much lighter so as to not overpower the more delicate seafood, a smaller sized salad course, and maybe moving that wonderful La Vite Lucente to the main course because it could have held its own with the dish.

I don’t know how quickly they will roll this out to the fleet, but once they do, I highly encourage you to try this experience. I’m sure they’ll continue running a few more “public” tests first but, in my opinion, this is about 97% ready to go.

It was a terrific experience which I can highly recommend!!!

Hope we can do this on the VOS week of 12/14 but right now, we can't even make a res. for a time we'd like. Thanks for a great review.

Emmy: My on-line booking was only for the regular Portofino dinner. Once on-board, they explained to me that this special dinner was going to be happening and at that point the choice was made to participate. They were serving the regular menu as well. I think that since it is something special, they won't add a seperate booking process just for it; but that is only my guess.

They were emphatic that this would only be served once a week (currently Friday).

Emmy: My on-line booking was only for the regular Portofino dinner. Once on-board, they explained to me that this special dinner was going to be happening and at that point the choice was made to participate. They were serving the regular menu as well. I think that since it is something special, they won't add a seperate booking process just for it; but that is only my guess.

They were emphatic that this would only be served once a week (currently Friday).

Thanks for the explanation. When I go to MY Cruises on line and go under Cruise Enhancements and choose Specialty Dining for my sailing they have Portofino as a choice but also Wine Dinner Series and when I click on that one it tells all about it, the price etc and then the only date I can choose is Nov 8 the day we get on the ship and 8:45pm is the time...I guess that is the date and time they are having it on Liberty. Seems strange to have it on that day as no time to advertise it in Cruise Compass.

I wonder if there is a phone number ie C&A to call and if they would be able to tell me.

Wow Emmy! That's interesting. Maybe because it was the first time I never had the on-line choice. 8:45pm seems awefully late to me since the whole dinner took us some 3 hours. I honestly can't see them starting it that late. That may be more of a "placeholder" for reservations than the actual time.

Do give C&A a call but I wonder how much info they'll actually have: new program, limited # of ships trying it, you know...

But I do highly recommend this. It's sort of Portofino on steroids!!! :) Bon appetit!

Was on the Mariner the week before. Darn, would have done this in a heart beat. When in New York the CIA in Hyde Park had a Prix Fixe 5 course meal with wine that was -as they say in NY - "to die for". You had to get reservations months in advance. Hope it is as successful for RC and available to us on the Freedom out of PC next year.

Thanks for your review.

Glad you enjoyed it so much and it is nice they have the option for people that want it. However, given that the normal fee for Portofino's is $20 for a good meal, you are paying $34.50 pp just for the wine (and $70 per couple). Personally, I would prefer to order what I want from the regular Portofino menu (especially a different appetizer and dessert) and then DH and I can order an entire bottle or even two of the wine(s) that we want for less money than the wine dinner cost. IMHO, I always felt the platinum/diamond wine tasting events were not that great and a little boring. I am curious, with this dinner, is there more "fun" or interaction with other passengers? Does everyone sit at one table? Do they include a galley tour or free amenity with this? I am not trying to be critical but am just looking at it from a different perspective given the cost.

Question, I know RCL states the fees for the specialty restaurants normal dinners include gratuity. Do they say the same about the wine dinner and also the murder mystery dinners??

I'm going on AOS in just 3 weeks :D and below is copied from "Mysite" where I can book the wine dinner:

A nominal fee of $54.50 USD per person, inclusive of dinner, gratuity, wine, coffee or tea. Specialty beverages, beer, wine, cocktails and soft drinks are offered at current menu prices.

Just to add some more info about this subject.

I'm going on AOS in 3 weeks and I can book the wine dinner, but only on Nov 2nd, which is the day we leave San Juan and the time is 7.30

I have only been on a cruise once before and have my GF with me, which never have cruised before, so I would expect that we wanted to explore the ship the first evening rather than sitting at a nice dinner :eek: but then again, we need dinner and was probably going to the MDR anyway... hmmm a tough one, would really like to try the wine dinner:confused:

I am curious, with this dinner, is there more "fun" or interaction with other passengers? Does everyone sit at one table? Do they include a galley tour or free amenity with this? I am not trying to be critical but am just looking at it from a different perspective given the cost.

I too am interested in the answer to these questions. I did try the Savor Luncheon on Explorer which is similar in some respects(same price) but only lunch with wine pairings. There were only 20 or so of us and they had different RCI staff sit with us. I was lucky to dine next to the Cellar master.

We did receive a cookbook signed by the Chef who also dined with us and a galley tour was also part of it.

I really enjoy wine and dinner pairings and this one sounds very good, my question is how does the menu compare to the normal Portofino menu?

I did call C&A as well as the speciality restaurant dept this weekend and neither could give me any information about the dinner. So thanks for your review. it sounds like an enjoyable evening,

OceanCruise: I understand your point on cost, however, you are getting 4 different wines here as opposed to just one. That's key with any type of a fixed menu-wine paired event. But I do hear you.

Like I mentioned, only 3 of us did it (brand new!), so we had 2 deuces as tables next to each other. Talking to Ashmeed, the manager, I gathered that future events would be more along the lines you suggested where people would be sharing a larger table together (which makes sense as there will be a set time for this event). Jeanette mentioned that it'd be similar to the Mystery Murder dinner (which I have not done so I don't know how that is). But definitely, this lends itself much more to a group setting similar to Princess' Chef Table program. I sort of hinted in conversation about a galley tour (I've done the Chef's Table twice already) but didn't get an answer on that.

Cruisewombat: Here is how I fell in love with Portofino. Last July I took my first cruise in 9 years and it was on the AOS. On some CC review I read someone writing about going to Portofino the first night during sailaway so that you can see Old San Juan through the windows as you are departing (Portofino is located on the starboard side). I thought that was a very nifty idea and decided to go there the first night and then to MDR afterward. Well, I liked it so much that I ended up eating there every night and did the same this cruise as well. Caveat: When doing the Aruba route, once you exit San Juan Harbor, the AOS turns west toward the Mona passage so you don't have a view afterward. However, if doing the Barbados route, the ship turns east so you have the whole coast of PR as a background during your meal - so definitely a time where the lady would be offered the seat facing the window rather than the customary one of facing the restaurant crowd. My guess is that would knock her socks off if she gets such a backdrop on her first dinner on her first cruise... :)

dfishner: Comparison on menu isn't altogether possible. The dishes certainly are in the same general direction (i.e. fine dining) but they are different from the regular Portofino menu. One can notice some of the same ingredients being worked in different ways but a few separate items make it stand on its own (i.e. the tuna carpacio and the crepes dessert for example, the parmesan custard was great!).

OceanCruise: I understand your point on cost, however, you are getting 4 different wines here as opposed to just one. That's key with any type of a fixed menu-wine paired event. But I do hear you.

Like I mentioned, only 3 of us did it (brand new!), so we had 2 deuces as tables next to each other. Talking to Ashmeed, the manager, I gathered that future events would be more along the lines you suggested where people would be sharing a larger table together (which makes sense as there will be a set time for this event). Jeanette mentioned that it'd be similar to the Mystery Murder dinner (which I have not done so I don't know how that is). But definitely, this lends itself much more to a group setting similar to Princess' Chef Table program. I sort of hinted in conversation about a galley tour (I've done the Chef's Table twice already) but didn't get an answer on that.

Cruisewombat: Here is how I fell in love with Portofino. Last July I took my first cruise in 9 years and it was on the AOS. On some CC review I read someone writing about going to Portofino the first night during sailaway so that you can see Old San Juan through the windows as you are departing (Portofino is located on the starboard side). I thought that was a very nifty idea and decided to go there the first night and then to MDR afterward. Well, I liked it so much that I ended up eating there every night and did the same this cruise as well. Caveat: When doing the Aruba route, once you exit San Juan Harbor, the AOS turns west toward the Mona passage so you don't have a view afterward. However, if doing the Barbados route, the ship turns east so you have the whole coast of PR as a background during your meal - so definitely a time where the lady would be offered the seat facing the window rather than the customary one of facing the restaurant crowd. My guess is that would knock her socks off if she gets such a backdrop on her first dinner on her first cruise... :)

dfishner: Comparison on menu isn't altogether possible. The dishes certainly are in the same general direction (i.e. fine dining) but they are different from the regular Portofino menu. One can notice some of the same ingredients being worked in different ways but a few separate items make it stand on its own (i.e. the tuna carpacio and the crepes dessert for example, the parmesan custard was great!).

Because of your review I decided to book the wine and dine pairing on the Freedom which is on the second night, I also decided to keep our original Portofino reservation on the 4Th night and we have Chops booked on the last evening. It really does sound like an excellent evening and you only live once. So thanks again for your review, I was not getting much assistance from RCL about the menu and wines so you were so much help with your description on the dining experience.

I ended up booking the wine dinner on AOS, in just 2,5 week :D

In my young days, I sailed on the 7 seas as an officer, so I have seen many port departures, even San Juan.

If I can add anything to the fine review, I will.

I have been on Explorer once but didn't try Portfino, so I'm looking forward to it and hope that I don't regret that i moved my normal reservation for this restaurant from day 5 to day 1 in order to do the wine dinner (like in I should have them both ;) ). I'm turning 40 on day 2, but day 2 is the mystery dinner and I didn't think that was a nice way of celebrating with my GF.

Speaking of cancel a reservation through RCCL, not really obvious. Why can't they just have a cancle button. After some time I figured out that if I choose my dinner reservation, clicked change, choose 0 persons, then it would be cancled, not really obvious.

• 2 weeks later...
Was on the Mariner the week before. Darn, would have done this in a heart beat. When in New York the CIA in Hyde Park had a Prix Fixe 5 course meal with wine that was -as they say in NY - "to die for". You had to get reservations months in advance. Hope it is as successful for RC and available to us on the Freedom out of PC next year.

Thanks for your review.

We ate at the CIA on our honeymoon! I quite agree with your description. :)

Ah, the memories............................:rolleyes:

Archived