Coral "Secrets"

MERLOTCHAMPAGNE

We will be on the Coral Princess Feb 09 for a partial Panama Canal cruise. Does anyone have any little "secrets" about the Coral that would make our cruise even more enjoyable?

Also, we are travelling with my parents and my mom has limited mobility in that she has difficulty with a flight of stairs and long distances. We have traditional dining. Which deck is that located on and will we have to go up or down stairs after dinner to get to the theater for evening entertainment?

Also, we are in cabins B332 & B328 - anyone have input on those balcony cabins? We usually have a mini suite but there weren't any midship when we booked and this cruise, a central location is more important. However we keep checking for available mini suites especially as we get close to final payment date!

Also, is there an area on Baja, either forward or aft that we can get better viewing while going through the locks?

Thanks.... as always, cruise critic members know all!!

Also, we are in cabins B332 & B328 - anyone have input on those balcony cabins? We usually have a mini suite but there weren't any midship when we booked and this cruise, a central location is more important. However we keep checking for available mini suites especially as we get close to final payment date!

Also, is there an area on Baja, either forward or aft that we can get better viewing while going through the locks?

Thanks.... as always, cruise critic members know all!!

Yes forward on Baja deck on the Coral there is a door on either side of the ship at the end of the passageway that goes out front to a viewing area. It is perfect for canal watching. ;)

There are also areas aft on Emerald/Dolphin/Caribe.

Also since you are in front of the ship if you want to get something to eat really quick the buffet area is in front of ship on the Coral/Island whereas most of the Princess ships the buffet is aft. As Colo mentioned great viewing area on the Baja, Caribe and Dolphin decks in front of the ship and also the back. Also make sure you try to go on the promenade deck as you really get close to the locks there. Another question that is always asked is what side of the ship your cabin should be on when going through the locks. It makes no difference as there is two entrances and the ship does not know ahead of time what entrance they will use until they get there. Have a great cruise as this one is a wonderful cruise to pick and the Coral is a gem. I know I have been on her 5 times and will be 6th next year.

marilyn

If you've been on the Grand or Gem Class ships, the Coral is opposite of them. Although I love the Coral, our last time on it really disoriented us since we were so used to the Grand Class layout.

The traditional dining room is mid-ship (again, unlike the Grand Class ships). It's in Provence Dining Room. You can go directly to the Princess Theatre from Deck 6 where your dining room is without having to go up or down stairs, or use the elevator. You'll be in the lowest section of the theatre, but we found you could view the stage just fine there.

The Universe Lounge (aft) tends to fill up quicker, so make sure you get there about 20-30 mins. early. There is specially set-aside seating for handicapped passengers though.

Don't miss the Bayou Cafe--definitely worth the extra $$.

The gym is rather small--you may have to get there early in the morning if you want a treadmill or bike without waiting.

The Promenade deck has a real wrap-around, level walking track, unlike some other Princess ships. It's great for strolling, especially in the evening.

The Princess Links mini-golf course is in a well hidden location on the Sun Deck.

The Coral is our favorite Princess ship--enjoy!

Les

The Bayou Cafe looks great.... especially after we've just back from a long weekend in New Orleans for a conference in January.

Unfortunately, my parents aren't fans of cajun cooking so they won't join us that night.

Thanks for all the tips of the great viewing areas on Coral!

I'd love to hear more "secrets" if anyone has any to share.....

The Bayou Cafe looks great.... especially after we've just back from a long weekend in New Orleans for a conference in January.

Unfortunately, my parents aren't fans of cajun cooking so they won't join us that night.

Thanks for all the tips of the great viewing areas on Coral!

I'd love to hear more "secrets" if anyone has any to share.....

The Bayou Cafe isn't just cajun food. You can get a great steak there too! And they'll have live music most of the evening...

The spa pool area is very nice and relaxing. There are very few people there becuase it is enclosed, however the roof is retractable. I've never seen it open though even on our Panama Canal sailing. The entrance to the sauna, steam area of the spa is close by so you can have a "free" spa day easily. There is also a bar right there where you can get juices, water or alcholic bevereage. On our Alaska cruise, I would sit and enjoy an hot coffee.

Mycruz

Is the spa pool/hot tubs for everyone's use or just those who utlize one of the spa services? Sounds like the Solarium on RCCL ships which we loved. Late in the afternoon wasn't busy as those who had early seating would be getting ready and we'd enjoy reading with a glass of wine after a relaxing in the hot tub.

Your website for your upcoming PC cruise is very nice. Have you made any arrangements for a private tour in Cartegena? A group of us tried to book with Les Miles but with 3 ships in on the same day, he couldn't accomodate us.

Nancyquilts, thanks for the suggestion about the gym but Bruce and I, if we don't do it first thing in the morning, we'd never get there in the afternoon. I'll use the walking track if I can't get a treadmill.

Yes! the area is for anyone and solarium is a good word for the area. I just love it there, it seems that most people don't spend much time there because they aren't in the sun. I am very careful with the amount of sun I am exposed to, live in Florida, go figure! so I love the area.

Thanks for the tip for a tour in Cartenega, and for the kind words. The website is a work in progress, probably until we return.

And they'll have live music most of the evening...

We thought the Bayou Cafe food was just OK but we loved the jazz trio in the lounge! It became our before-dinner ritual. "Our" bartender would see us coming down the hallway and have our beverages waiting. You don't have to have Bayou Cafe reservations to enjoy the lounge.

If you're onboard on Valentines Day, they may have a no-charge group marriage vow-renewal ceremony. It's not the super-romantic experience of the private vow renewal that costs $200+ but it was nice all the same. It was held about 7:30 p.m. in one of the lounges--everyone was given a certificate and, if you wanted to wait in line after the ceremony, the captain would sign it.

Finally, you might consider doing the Balcony Breakfast on Panama Canal day. Others have said they're too busy moving around the ship for the best view on that day but we really enjoyed it. We ordered it for later in the morning (10:30-11:00) so we had already been up and watching the transit for five or so hours by that time. Actually, that's another secret--go to bed early the night before the transit. You'll want to be up at dawn for the full experience.

Kathi & Leo

Mycruz - Sounds like the spa pool area will be seeing us many afternoons... I love the sun but by mid afternoon, I've had enough and it's nice to have the pool atmosphere without the wind and blazing hot sun.

Kathi and Leo - thanks for the great tip about the jazz trio in Bayou's Lounge area. We all love jazz and it sounds like the perfect pre-dinner spot.

We had heard the same comments about the UBB but now that we've decided to stay on board rather than continue on the ferry excursion to the Pacific side, a late breakfast on the balcony sounds perfect!

What great "secrets" you all are sharing... anymore?????

Thanks

Pam & Bruce

Thank you for all of your "secrets" including the wonderful pics.

If anyone would like to share any more "secrets" please do so, they are helpful.

Definitely, you need to indulge yourselves with the champaign brunch as you pass through the canal. It was a highlight of our full transit cruise on the Island Princess (sistership to the Coral).

I agree if you are doing the Panama Canal on the Coral to get to bed early the night before. I was up at 430am the morning we approached the canal. It made for a very long day as we did the partial transit and we opted for the ship's excursion throught the rest of the canal. I remember it being very hot, we sailed in November, so wondering for those of you suggesting the UBB if the heat was a problem while dining late in the morning. We are going to do the full transit in April and I think the breakfast would be a great idea, just wondering again about the temps.

Archived