Spending Money? Currency?

youngestof9

I know everyone's budgets are different, but I was wondering how much cash I really need. Everything on board will be charged to the room. I plan on doing the islands on my own (not through cruiseline) so I know I'll need cash for that.

However, what's a reasonable amount of cash to take with you? I don't want to not have enough, but I don't want to bring too much. I hate to carry too much cash.

I'm doing a 7 day Southern Caribbean

Also - do the islands take the US dollar or do you have to use the local monies?

Thank you!

My husband and I usually spend about $500 in cash. We use our credit cards most of the time. Most ports will take your US dollars. We have been on 14 cruises and never had to worry about converting to the local currency.

We always take between 1000-1200--(American dollars will be fine!) and if we don't spend it, we bring it home and put it back in the bank. We bring large bills ($100's) because they're less bulky than tons of small bills. We do break a few down once on the ship for smaller purchases, tips, and such. Keep what you don't plan to spend in your safe.

If you're planning on buying trinkets at a "straw market" take some smaller bills, or they may give you local currency in change!

If you're planning on buying trinkets at a "straw market" take some smaller bills, or they may give you local currency in change!
Or as we've found they say they have no change and suggest you spend the difference in more merchandise.

If you are not pre-paying your tips or charging them to your Sea-Pass(which has to be done before the last night) you'll need small bills for tips or you'll have a mad dash on the last night trying to get change along with all of the other passengers.

By the way, Youngestof9 is celebrating her 40th birthday on the cruise and I'm not sure $1,000 will be enough, so make sure to bring the credit cards.

Mike

By the way, Youngestof9 is celebrating her 40th birthday on the cruise and I'm not sure $1,000 will be enough, so make sure to bring the credit cards.

Mike

Wooohooo drinks for everyone! :) :) Maybe you're right - bring those cards!!

Mary Beth :)

We usually take between $1000-$1500 in a combination of cash and travellers cheques. We also have our credit cards with but prefer not to use them.

I've never had a problem using US dollars. In Antigua we received back some local currency when we stopped at a convenience store (this was not in a tourist area) however we just spent this elsewhere on the island. All the other islands we have been to we have received US currency for change.

Archived