Refuse fuel supplements

The economical crisis has led to falling oil prices—crude fell to $75 today, Oct.15.

Why should we pay fuel supplement. Refuse!

Good Luck with that theory.... REFUSE = NO CRUISE !!!:eek:

Do you think the cruise ships just pull up to a pump and fill up at any given port of call ? They purchase in advance and if the prices go down, they are still locked into the original price purchased at.

OK... stand in line with all the others than, but I don't think your line is going to be that long or have any impact on the fuel supplements anytime soon ! Also... CCL, and its other cruiselines falling under their umbrella have already made a public statement that they will REMOVE fuel supplements for 2010 bookings made after Oct. 31, 2008, BUT will be increasing fares. So, you will get your wish and have them removed, but now be fooled since it is not showing as a fuel supplement anymore. Also, fuel supplements will be refunded via OBC for 2008/2009 bookings if oil prices drop below $70.00 for 25 business days consecutively before 5 days before your cruise departs. So I think the cruiselines are trying to appease passengers, but just doing it in a unique way and still making their profits !

Travelntreats, thats the correct answer. Yea we are still sittin and waiting and holding our breath:D . I agree ya gonna pay or stay, AT HOME that is. Airlines are still charging the baggage fares, BUT say they are lowering fares, you will never see your money back if they lower fare from a previous reservation. The hundred or so extra is not gonna keep us away now that we started. So everyone can say what they want the extra ya gonna pay is just like we do for everything else in life.

OK... stand in line with all the others than, but I don't think your line is going to be that long or have any impact on the fuel supplements anytime soon ! Also... CCL, and its other cruiselines falling under their umbrella have already made a public statement that they will REMOVE fuel supplements for 2010 bookings made after Oct. 31, 2008, BUT will be increasing fares. So, you will get your wish and have them removed, but now be fooled since it is not showing as a fuel supplement anymore. Also, fuel supplements will be refunded via OBC for 2008/2009 bookings if oil prices drop below $70.00 for 25 business days consecutively before 5 days before your cruise departs. So I think the cruiselines are trying to appease passengers, but just doing it in a unique way and still making their profits !

Well it is now below 65$!!! But the Canadian dollar is dropping too:(

A news team showed how a lady called Westjet, asked for a supervisor, requested the fuel cost drop from her total ( that she booked 3 months ago), and they gratiously gave her a fly credit with them. It was $93 worth.

Maybe we should be asking the right ppl to get what we want.

I booked with Carnival just recently and fuel supplement charges will be credited back to my onboard account only if the "stock market" hits a all time low for 5 days in a row. I'd have to call prior to my cruise date in June 2009 from what Reps from Carnival says to be valid. I noticed the past few days that Fuel prices has been going down!

I booked with Carnival just recently and fuel supplement charges will be credited back to my onboard account only if the "stock market" hits a all time low for 5 days in a row. I'd have to call prior to my cruise date in June 2009 from what Reps from Carnival says to be valid. I noticed the past few days that Fuel prices has been going down!
The fuel supplement reimbursement has nothing to do with the stock market and everything to do with the price of fuel. It does not have to reach an all time low, in only has to remain below $70. Also, the OBC is automatic, you do not have to call.

About 13 years ago, a similar situation took place with Holland America Cruiseline. Someone filed a "Class action suit" and everyone affected received a voucher good towards their next booking.

I believe this to be worthy of the same action, however, I wouldn't know where to start with something like this. Perhaps RCCL should change the name from "fee" to " tax", making it mandatory just like the government!

About 13 years ago, a similar situation took place with Holland America Cruiseline. Someone filed a "Class action suit" and everyone affected received a voucher good towards their next booking.

I believe this to be worthy of the same action, however, I wouldn't know where to start with something like this. Perhaps RCCL should change the name from "fee" to " tax", making it mandatory just like the government!

You are aware of the fact I hope that both Carnival cruiselines and RCL cruiselines have in place a stategy for when/if they will remove the fuel supplements in 2009 and that if you wait and book cruises after another couple of weeks for 2010, they wouldnt be added to your price?

Why would you want to have a class action now that the terms for dropping the fuel supplements have been announced.

The Florida DA already looked at this. The DA made Carnival and Royal Caribbean refund the retroactive fuel supplements, but not any where the supplement was known before the cruise was booked. Since the fuel supplement is known before you book, you have a choice to accept it or not book. Thus I don't see where any legal action is going to get you anything.

A TAX is something that one subsiduary collects for another, and then submits forward. IE; tax on your receipt from Walmart goes forward to the government.

FIREFLY 333: thanks for this tidbit :) ...as we plan on waiting for a good time to book our Hawaii-Vancouver trip in April 2010

OK... if thats what you were told and want to believe.... but it is incorrect !

Also... CCL, and its other cruiselines falling under their umbrella have already made a public statement that they will REMOVE fuel supplements for 2010 bookings made after Oct. 31, 2008, BUT will be increasing fares. So, you will get your wish and have them removed, but now be fooled since it is not showing as a fuel supplement anymore. Also, fuel supplements will be refunded via OBC for 2008/2009 bookings if oil prices drop below $70.00 for 25 business days consecutively before 5 days before your cruise departs. So I think the cruiselines are trying to appease passengers, but just doing it in a unique way and still making their profits !

I booked a Carnival cruise through cruisedirect.com. Will this OBC apply to me as well or only to those who booked through Carnival directly?

-Confused 1st timer

I booked a Carnival cruise through cruisedirect.com. Will this OBC apply to me as well or only to those who booked through Carnival directly?

-Confused 1st timer

The OBC applies to ALL passengers who qualify. How, or through who you booked does not matter.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked and paid for a 7 day Alaska Cruise, 2 days Rocky Mountain Train, a flight from Calgary to Vancouver, let alone the return flight from NZ to Vancouver before these fuel supplements came in. I did not offer to pay the fuel supplements and was not charged for them. Now we are doing a 14 day cruise through the Panama Canal with flights from NZ and we are paying the higher charges. To me them the breaks and I can't have it both ways

The OBC applies to ALL passengers who qualify. How, or through who you booked does not matter.

Not necessarily true.... SOME agencies will not honor rate reductions due to loss of commission by doing so. Make sure you know every policy any agency your are considering booking with requires, before you provide payment to them !

-Confused 1st timer

Not necessarily true.... SOME agencies will not honor rate reductions due to loss of commission by doing so. Make sure you know every policy any agency your are considering booking with requires, before you provide payment to them !
First of all the agent does not earn a commission on the fuel supplement. Second of all the OBC is automatic and provided by Carnival, it is not something the agent has any control over. Third, an OBC does not result in a rate reduction, so the agent does not lose any commission.

First of all the agent does not earn a commission on the fuel supplement. Second of all the OBC is automatic and provided by Carnival, it is not something the agent has any control over. Third, an OBC does not result in a rate reduction, so the agent does not lose any commission.

Excellent answers....was just chuckling over this. I would also like to add that if you think you will get an automatic OBC, you're probably wrong! More than likely the lines will just wait until you call to have it removed........

YES!! Let's sue! There's a solution! As if things don't cost enough already, let's sue so EVERYONE can absorb the cost of litigation!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived