St. Thomas - Shopping

taxmantoo

It would give me the willies to buy an electronics item from a place I couldn't return it to if there was something wrong with it. Stick with Amazon, B&H, Adorama, etc, all reputable resellers with good prices. Or, if you don't know exactly what you want, spend a few extra bucks and go to your local camera store.

In St. Thomas, I'd stick to jewelry, trinkets, or perfume.

Many don't like to buy in the Carib But I am an the exception to the rule. It is true you need to be very careful and need to know exactly what you want and the best price you can find it (including shipping and maybe tax) off the net. I am very good at pricing camera stuff off the net and I know the price that must be beat or I won't buy it there.

The second thing to remember is, make sure it has a US warranty and not gray market.

The third thing is, St. Thomas doesn't have the best prices for cameras anymore, St. Maarten does.

Lastly the prices vary drastically and you need to ck them out and bargain. As for me, I always go to the same place because they have treated me fairly over the years and I have never had a problem with anything I have purchased.

Again, most people do not share this feeling with me. It is also important to remember even in the US, if a price you see out there seems too good to be true than it probably is.

We'll be in St Maarten in December, so maybe I'll scout the stores for a new Zeiss lens!

My main caveat for people buying cameras in the Caribbean was covered by Allen...grey market.

The other thing I hear fairly often is people going on a cruise without a camera because thay heard that they can buy one for less in the islands. They spend the last few days of their cruise learning to use it and come back with mediocre shots of the last stop and maybe a sea day! Talk about wasted opportunities!

Considering the cost of a cruise, the $40-$50 you'll save on a camera at the expense of half a trip worth of memories is just a bad investment.

Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.

Dave

We'll be in St Maarten in December, so maybe I'll scout the stores for a new Zeiss lens!

My main caveat for people buying cameras in the Caribbean was covered by Allen...grey market.

The other thing I hear fairly often is people going on a cruise without a camera because thay heard that they can buy one for less in the islands. They spend the last few days of their cruise learning to use it and come back with mediocre shots of the last stop and maybe a sea day! Talk about wasted opportunities!

Considering the cost of a cruise, the $40-$50 you'll save on a camera at the expense of half a trip worth of memories is just a bad investment.

Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.

Dave

Dave, Not sure I have seen too many Zeiss lens there, they mainly just carry the more popular stuff (if you will). They definitely do not have the selection you may find on the net.

Totally agree with you about waiting to buy in the island if you don't have one to start with. For example I was just on a cruise hoping to buy a compact Cannon in St. Maarten and we missed the port due to the hurricane. :(

Dave, Not sure I have seen too many Zeiss lens there, they mainly just carry the more popular stuff (if you will). They definitely do not have the selection you may find on the net.

I didn't expect them to have a super wide selection. I noticed in St. Thomas a few years ago that the best deals were on end-of-cycle items that were recently replaced with newer models. The latest stuff was priced competitively but not much, if any, below B&H or Adorama. The lens I'm looking for is the terrific new Sony SAL-2470Z and it's back-ordered just about everywhere. Chances are slim since Sony seems to have seriously underestimated the demand. :(

Oh, well...it gives me some more time to save up!

Dave

Archived