Taking packaged food off ship in PV, Mazlatan, Cabo

EGG

Fiery? Pot have you met kettle?

Obviously you did not read the post before it was erased. Know your facts first. It was a vicious, nasty and petty attack- a full-page rant condemning all Australians and making jabs about how we are all just the children of prisoners and all grew up in jail and half-way houses and that my husband only learned to cook from working in the jails down there. It was an entire page that went on an on and that is why it was erased. I then responded angrily (as would anyone) with the comment "at least we didn't vote Bush in" and that was my only response. I never asked the moderator to erase it FYI. I fight my own fights if someone wishes to start one. You may not like the fact that I am a very honest and matter of fact person but I do not verbally abuse and carry on to the extent that this person did. I wish you had read the post. You would not be able to defend it. Really. And at least I am admitting to you my end of the disagreement. I wonder if the other poster would be so obliging as to repost THEIR side of things??? Hmmmmm? REPOST!!!!!!

Obviously I did not read the post before it was erased? Know my facts first?

I *DID* read the post before it was erased and I *DO* know my facts, at least as they pertain to this subject.

Yes, the post to which you responded was unkind, and untrue.

One person makes a comment you find offensive (painting an entire country with a broad brush), so you respond by painting an entire country with a broad brush? Lovely. What in the world does a presidential election have to do with the subject at hand? I thought that one of the reasons people liked to frequent this board was that in this superheated political season, they could get away from the accusations and name calling being found all over the internet.

I've been reading your posts recently, and you seem to be an individual with very strong and pointed opinions. I actually enjoy that type of give and take on this board, but what I don't understand is your willingness to not only claim that you and you alone know everything there is to know about shopping, travel, fine dining, the correct wine pour etc., but that your opinion is the only one that counts. There are times I sense a certain underlying "meanness" when you respond to others (Mexican vendors are rip off artists? Americans stiffed you on tips? Stay on the ship--Mazatlan is dirty?). A moral certitude that allows for no celebration of our differences. Is it really necessary to be cruel?

Your reference to "fighting my own fights" has me a bit confused. Why would you want to "fight" another person here on CC? This is a community where experiences are shared, not a bull ring where every opinion seems wrapped up in an insult.

I guess I'm just trying to say each person's opinion is their own truth, and that life is short. Too short to get involved the sort of unpleasantness I've read lately.

We now rejoin the Cruise Critic Message Board already in progress...

Obviously I did not read the post before it was erased? Know my facts first?

I *DID* read the post before it was erased and I *DO* know my facts, at least as they pertain to this subject.

Yes, the post to which you responded was unkind, and untrue.

One person makes a comment you find offensive (painting an entire country with a broad brush), so you respond by painting an entire country with a broad brush? Lovely. What in the world does a presidential election have to do with the subject at hand? I thought that one of the reasons people liked to frequent this board was that in this superheated political season, they could get away from the accusations and name calling being found all over the internet.

I've been reading your posts recently, and you seem to be an individual with very strong and pointed opinions. I actually enjoy that type of give and take on this board, but what I don't understand is your willingness to not only claim that you and you alone know everything there is to know about shopping, travel, fine dining, the correct wine pour etc., but that your opinion is the only one that counts. There are times I sense a certain underlying "meanness" when you respond to others (Mexican vendors are rip off artists? Americans stiffed you on tips? Stay on the ship--Mazatlan is dirty?). A moral certitude that allows for no celebration of our differences. Is it really necessary to be cruel?

Your reference to "fighting my own fights" has me a bit confused. Why would you want to "fight" another person here on CC? This is a community where experiences are shared, not a bull ring where every opinion seems wrapped up in an insult.

I guess I'm just trying to say each person's opinion is their own truth, and that life is short. Too short to get involved the sort of unpleasantness I've read lately.

We now rejoin the Cruise Critic Message Board already in progress...

You admit you read that sickening attack at me and still made a dig at ME and never even referenced the other poster's hatefulness? THAT is unpleasant in itself and is so wrong.:( Really unfair. Shame on you.

I did reference the other poster's comments. I mentioned that I thought they were unkind and untrue. I agree with you on that subject. My point was that instead of responding to that individual poster, you chose to turn your hurt on and insult a whole group of people based on a political view, which has no place in this forum. This wasn't the first time you've denigrated and insulted "Americans" and I think it probably won't be the last.

I am sorry you felt that my comments were unpleasant and unfair. Unlike some others here, it is not my intent to upset or insult anyone else on this board.

• 4 weeks later...
I absolutely will not eat off the ship. I was planning to take off a packaged granola bar and buy bottled water. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? I'll be on a Royal Caribean cruise.

We've been to Mexico many times on cruises and I've never had a problem taking off snack foods (like granola bars). We always rent a car and go *way* out to secluded beaches for snorkeling, and it's nice to have a snack while you are out there since there are no snack stands or markets to be found. Of course, going back into town for a local dinner is always the perfect way to top off your day!

I've never tried to bring the snacks back onboard, though, because we always end up eating them! Hope this helps!

Obviously you did not read the post before it was erased. Know your facts first. It was a vicious, nasty and petty attack- a full-page rant condemning all Australians and making jabs about how we are all just the children of prisoners and all grew up in jail and half-way houses and that my husband only learned to cook from working in the jails down there. It was an entire page that went on an on and that is why it was erased. I then responded angrily (as would anyone) with the comment "at least we didn't vote Bush in" and that was my only response. I never asked the moderator to erase it FYI. I fight my own fights if someone wishes to start one. You may not like the fact that I am a very honest and matter of fact person but I do not verbally abuse and carry on to the extent that this person did. I wish you had read the post. You would not be able to defend it. Really. And at least I am admitting to you my end of the disagreement. I wonder if the other poster would be so obliging as to repost THEIR side of things??? Hmmmmm? REPOST!!!!!!

I have been away and just reread this thread or I would have responded a lot sooner!!!

When I wrote that post it was not a direct attack on you or your husband at all.

I said I thought you were attacking all of Mexico and her people quite unfairly in most of your posts.

I said your posts could be likened to IF we were to assume that all Australians were cons and such because of their family history.

That all Aussies are opinionated and bossy.

For the record I have many Australians and Mexican friends, I simply thought you had painted a very unfair picture of Mexico and her people.

I seem to remember posting a wink and a happy face to show that I was not seriously attacking you or your husband, I thought you seem to believe all the bad that are assumpations and myths about Mexico I was liking it to what are myths and assumpations about Australia. Nothing more.

Please accept my heartfelt apology if you felt I was attacking you, truly I was not at all. :o

• 1 year later...

Kristy, I do first want to thank you for such a gracious apology (on page 1 of the thread I believe). If only there were more CCers willing to admit that they made a mistake.

I suffered from ulcerative colitis for more than 20 years, so severe that I eventually had my entire colon removed. (Best thing I ever did, incidentally -- it is a complete cure) Nevertheless, I never allowed it to stop me from visiting a great number of less developed nations, including many in Africa, Asia and S. America. If you have a gastroenterologist who suggests that you not visit Mexico because of the u.c., you really need to consider going to a better doctor. I was lucky in that regard, having one who had previously been on the faculty of Harvard Med.

Bill

We read, with some amusement, the comments of the OP. Tomorrow we are driving to New Jersey (a family thing) and will have to dine out in New Jersey tomorrow night. Now to be honest, we are more concerned about eating out in NJ than we are when we dine out in Puerto Vallarta (where we live two months a year). PV has a reputation as a restaurant town which is well deserved. The thought of getting grilled fresh red snapper (they do not ever get fresh red snapper in most of NJ) has my mouth watering and we do not even have to pay any 7 % sales tax. In fact, two of us can have a nice dinner with fresh grilled fish, rice, appetizers and margaritas for about $30 (total). We can't help but notice that New Jersey has to close beaches every summer due to high bacteria count (do you think your seafood comes from these waters?) whereas we have never had to deal with closed beaches on the Bay of Bandaras. Ok. Sorry for my rant but its difficult to combat ignorance.

Hank

Isn't it amazing how topics just seem to grow and grow! :-) ACLU_ATTY I don't think the political remark was ever directed at me. It seemed to be between Oz Cleopatra and Quincy_too, one from Australia and one from Canada. LOL

I appreciate your insightful post. That is the only point I was ever trying to make, be careful what you eat and you can get sick and quickly. It certainly put a damper on 24 hours of my cruise and I missed most of Puerto Vallarta because of it. Thank goodness I only ate a few bites of my meal because it just didn't taste right otherwise I might have been sick much longer.

I hope that you and your band of attorney's have a wonderful cruise and that you all stay well! :-)

Kristy

Yup, got caught up in the discussion as well...been to Mexico too many times to count...cruise, drive, jet, sailed etc. Eaten all over including road side stands and 4 star restaurants. Have gotten sick exactly twice, once down for 3 days, but if you consider that I have vacationed down south more than a 100 times best guesstimate that is only 2%. I have experienced food poisoning at the my work place cafeteria almost monthly although to a lesser degree. So I believe that it is safer to eat in Mexico than in the states!:eek:

Archived