Suggestions for shoes that do "double duty"

Sailfish

Help!

I am in need of a nice pair of black shoes that I can wear with my formal outfits and also wear on non-formal nights with slacks or a dress. I am trying to cut down on the number of shoes I pack for a cruise - I used to take up to four pairs! Now that I can only take one bag, I would like a pair of shoes that can do double duty.

I would prefer a low heel, though if it was comfortable, I can go higher. Any recommendations as to style? I wear pumps with my work suits and loafers with pants to work. I have nice strappy (albeit somewhat uncomfortable) black sandals that go well with my dressy outfits. I'd love to get a pair of shoes that I could wear with my formal night cocktail dresses and my more casual dresses and slacks.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Suzi

It depends on how formal your outfits for formal nights are. Most shoes that would go with true formal wear would not really go well with casual wear. Plus, just having one pair of shoe for evenings could be a problem if you have an issue with that one pair.

I'm taking thong-style leather sandals with a kitten heel (like flip-flops but nicer, and with a heel). They'll just have to do for both formal and not-so-formal. At least, that's the plan right now -- it may change as I move into "obsessing about clothing" mode.

I have the kitten heel in black, and will be dressing it up with a pretty broach, the tops are interchangable, and there are dozens to choose from. The fancy tops will work with my dressy stuff, and the casual tops with my other clothes. Loads of tops, Onesole....

I also have the Leasure soles for day wear,, take a look at their website,

www.Onesole.com

Sorry I didn't explain before.

I am going on a 10 night Princess cruise in the Caribbean followed by a week in St. Lucia. I have to really limit my checked baggage to one, as we have to make a quick exit at the end of the cruise to catch an early flight. So, I am taking one formal black knee length strapless dress for formal night. The remainder of the cruise, I plan to wear nice sun dresses or nice slacks. I am taking a pair of leather flipflops to wear with some of my more casual dresses. But I was hoping to take a pair of nice dressy shoes to wear on those nights I wear my slacks or a dressier outfits. I am already taking a pair of sneakers to travel in and to wear in the gym, and a pair of tevas to wear on shore.

Shoes take up so much space, even cutting back on one pair would be a great help. Flip flops and my tevas won't take up much room, and I plan to wear my sneakers on the airplane, so if I can just find a pair of shoes that will work with MOST of my outfits I plan to wear at night, that would be ideal.

The issue I have is finding a simple pair of shoes that will look good with everything. I am also a purse lover - I am now having to limit myself to one purse, which I so hard to do! Thankfully, I have quite a bit to choose from at home! I am also forcing myself to cut back on the amount of make-up and hair care products I am taking. I figure every little bit helps! I have always been able to get by with two checked bags, but as we plan to do self debarking on the last day, I won't be able to manage two suitcases! So, one bag is all I can do.

Suzi

Strappy heels won't take up much space at all--they can be crammed into the smallest space. Now, men's shoes really DO take up some space! But a woman's dressy shoe won't.

So take a neutral (maybe copper or silver) shoes to wear with the formal outfit. Copper goes with almost anything as it takes on either a brown or gold tone, depending on what you're pairing it with.

A strapless gown almost requires something strappy and sexy.

This was my point. If you insist on only one pair of shoes, you will have to settle for a pair that's less than ideal. But it is your choice to do so.

I had a hunch someone would reply telling me this. Thanks for your cander. I will have no choice but to do this - so a compromise it will have to be!

Suzi

I like the idea of "accessorizing" a pair of plain black sandals. Be creative.

If you can find a pair of black sandals that are a bit less than dressy and then embellish them with something like a small brooch or pin you can "dress" them up for formal night.

Just a thought.

I have a pair of Sketchers in black, double-strap Mary Jane style. I've worn them with my more-or-less formal outfits, dressy slacks, casual slacks or capris, and jeans. I love 'em. I also have similar pairs in dark brown and beige, and I wear them the same way.

I think they're very cute and very comfortable.

And remember, not that many people are even going to notice your shoes!!

I had the same problem when packing for our last cruise. I wound up taking a pair of black lace slingbacks that looked good with my formal dresses (floor length), and also worked well with cocktail length dresses and my black dress pants. Here's a similar pair:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7282924/c/71505.html

Although it is true that few people were looking at my feet, I knew what I was wearing, and would have felt uncomfortable in casual shoes - even if they didn't show from under the dress.

You all have really got your stuff together maybe I will get there one day. I packed like 7 pairs of shoes and I just added a pair a few mins ago. So to tell you the truth I'm not sure how many shoes are in my bag their at the bottom. But for the first time ever I am only taking a med suitcase, garment bag and a carryon. Baby steps I guess LOL.

I have the kitten heel in black, and will be dressing it up with a pretty broach, the tops are interchangable, and there are dozens to choose from. The fancy tops will work with my dressy stuff, and the casual tops with my other clothes. Loads of tops, Onesole....

I also have the Leasure soles for day wear,, take a look at their website,

www.Onesole.com

I love my onesoles, I'm so excited that I'll be able to take a lot less shoes on this trip.

I have a pair of "barely there" black evening sandals. They have a narrow band across the toes that is set with black bugle beads, and a heel and ankle strap. They do not have high heels, but the heel is fairly narrow, so they are feminine.

I wear these with all my black evening clothes, dressy and also with my black slacks and skirt.

I have a similar pair in silver that I wear with all my silver and grey evening clothes.

Then, I have flat black walking sandals and good leather walking shoes, of which one pair is on my feet when I get onboard the ship.

That's 3 in the suitcase and one on my feet, but the evening sandals weigh practically nothing.

For the Onesole info..........WOW, they are sooo awesome......ordered some today and got 5 total tops for them for less than $100....YAY!

I can't wait to cruise in Jan and NOT have 6 pairs of shoes with me!

jul :)

cool, what sole did you get?? I feel like starting a library, trading tops out...lol

Love my Onesoles, and I've even added a velcro strap to put fancy bows, and broaches on my tops...

B

cool, what sole did you get?? I feel like starting a library, trading tops out...lol

Love my Onesoles, and I've even added a velcro strap to put fancy bows, and broaches on my tops...

B

I just did the Leisure.......I don't typically wear heels due to a herniated disc in my back........but I picked out a beach scene for going to beach, an animal print to match some outfits, and a black with crystals for formal night......I'm going to order some other ones now for other outfits.

jul

Great, Love the Leasure sole myself, and have them in brown and black. I also love the suede tops and have them in br and bk too. The neoprene tops are very cute, but remember they have a bit of stretch in them, so if you have a narrow foot go down a size or wide go up. Thats the S,M,L, XL,

I picked up the "Kitten heels" in black for my formal dress and will use a standard suede top with my addition of a broach. should be formal enough for anything. These are not as comfy as the Leasure as there made with a solid sole, with no padding, either way they will do for dress up.

Just for info, I've made a black velcro loop, that fits on the tops, to this I can add, bows, broaches, buttons, they look great, I'd post a picture, but I don't know how..lol

Archived