Paranoid about tendering!

grey625

DH and I are booked on NCL Dawn to Canada/New England in Sept. 2009. After the two CTN we have taken, we are really excited about getting away for a week without any kids :p

Anyway, after lurking for a while I learned that two of the ports are tendered. The problem is I am scared out of my mind to get onto that boat. I have had people tell me it's no big deal, but after watching some of those videos on YouTube there is no way in **** I am getting off the ship. I feel so silly and I know I am probably overreacting, but I am someone who cannot even climb 2 rungs up a ladder without fearing for her life. I can see myself getting to the door and not being able to step one foot onto the stairs.

Please tell me I am not the only one with this fear. Or if I am, please give me some tips on how I can get off the ship without totally freaking out.

Every time I've had to board a tender it's like stepping off the ship and right onto the tender. And besides, you have all those cute crewmen right there ready to give you their hand! My elderly mother had no trouble tendering so I'm sure you'll be just fine!

I would not worry to much about stepping onto the tender boats. There's really no stepping involved, you just kind of move from the ship to the tender, and on the plus side as said before, there are lots of very cute crewmen to grab your arm and help you on!!!

Just think of the adventures you will have on shore and all the new things you will see. I too was a little scared, but no way I was going to be left behind and be told of the town and not see it for myself!!

Take a deep breath and enjoy your cruise!!:D

Melody:)

Please tell me I am not the only one with this fear. Or if I am, please give me some tips on how I can get off the ship without totally freaking out.

My best friend is freaked by heights, depths, railings, gangways, being too near the rail, being able to see out the windows on the higher decks, stepping anywhere the footing is "different". She managed fine, she concentrated on my voice, and if I recall correctly, we were able to get into the tender sort-of in tandem. Though I'm not absolutely sure about that, I think that's what we did. Honestly, for me, it was such a non-event I don't have a clear recollection of our tendering. I do know that we talked and joked though, to keep her mind off it.

And to get onto the ship using the gangway, she'd look at ME, talk to ME, listen to ME, while I just more or less nudged her in the directions she needed to go. It worked -- she never had to stay behind at a port.

A lot depends on the specific tender, weather conditions and the locale. If the ship is using small tenders, then there may be more movement than if the ship uses a large tender that, for example, holds 200 people. More important, if the weather and seas are rough, the motion (and danger) will be greater. Twice now at Grand Cayman, we have experienced pretty rough seas and tough tendering conditions. Each time, the tender was moving 3-5 feet up or down at a time, and banging hard against the side of the ship! In these rare cases, you are basically asked (and they will help you) to time your step (almost a jump!) at the right moment when the tender is even with the gangway. The vast majority of other times however, when tendering at other ports of call, it is a relatively smooth and uneventful operation. Heck, you see many seniors and people with physical disabilities getting on so you know it's no big deal on those days!

If the captain elects to anchor and allow tendering, then it's generally presumed to be safe. I recommend you just go down to the lower deck, use your own judgement and see it for yourself! I'd hate to see you miss a port of call over an unfounded fear.

My best friend is freaked by heights, depths, railings, gangways, being too near the rail, being able to see out the windows on the higher decks, stepping anywhere the footing is "different".

Wow. If she can do it, I am definately overreacting. My biggest fears are heights and drowning, but I am able to sit on the balcony no problem. Go figure.

Each time, the tender was moving 3-5 feet up or down at a time, and banging hard against the side of the ship! In these rare cases, you are basically asked (and they will help you) to time your step (almost a jump!) at the right moment when the tender is even with the gangway.

That is what I am afraid of! But it is rare you say? I guess I should try to stop worrying.

You'll have a "step up" into your bathroom! That won't freak you out, will it? The tender is HUGE--and it's very easy to access!

If it's so rough that you can't do it, you'll simply stay on the ship! But, chances are that the tender will barely be bobbing at all.

Don't worry until that moment--you'll just ruin the rest of your good time!

That is what I am afraid of! But it is rare you say? I guess I should try to stop worrying.
I'm not trying to scare you but there are the occasional stops where the seas are rough and tendering is not fun. On those days, you might very well elect to stay onboard. However this is a small minority of the time so don't let the worst case make you afraid! Again, you can always change your mind if you don't want to board the tender for any reason. Overall tendering is very safe and even fun! My kids look forward to tendering like it's a mini-excursion in of itself!

And remember the crew is always there help you aboard the tender! The cruise line and the ship's crew definitely want you to make it ashore safely and comfortably, and to enjoy yourself! :)

DH and I are booked on NCL Dawn to Canada/New England in Sept. 2009. After the two CTN we have taken, we are really excited about getting away for a week without any kids :p

Anyway, after lurking for a while I learned that two of the ports are tendered. The problem is I am scared out of my mind to get onto that boat. I have had people tell me it's no big deal, but after watching some of those videos on YouTube there is no way in **** I am getting off the ship. I feel so silly and I know I am probably overreacting, but I am someone who cannot even climb 2 rungs up a ladder without fearing for her life. I can see myself getting to the door and not being able to step one foot onto the stairs.

Don't feel bad my mom can't even look at a picture of a cruise ship without feeling weak. At least you can make it on the ship.

I am able to sit on the balcony no problem. Go figure.

If my friend and I had ever been able to afford a balcony, the only way (I know this for a fact) that she'd have been able to be out there was if I was standing with my back against the railing/partition facing her, blocking most of her view. We always did laps around the deck for exercise, and she needed me between her and the railing at all times. But we made it work, and she had fun. (After 2 hours of her driving through the mountains, and VEERING into other lanes if we were approaching a drop-off, I swore I'd NEVER let her drive in the mountains again :) )

Tendering is a part of cruising. Sometimes it's so easy you'll hardly know you have stepped off the ship and into the tender. I had a terrible fear of heights until we took our 10 yr old grandson to Disneyland. Somehow I figured out how to go on all the rides with him and then later figured out I was being pretty stupid not being able to climb a ladder! I still can't stand at the railing and look over the side without my stomach ending up in my throat!!!

Play it by ear - if you try and don't make the tender it isn't the end of the world but if you don't try you will be mad at yourself for not trying!!

Well I am pretty scared of alot of stuff, heights, being underwater, driving fast, but the tender I am okay with, usually it is very calm and like everyone else said someone will help you off and on. There are many elderly folks that don't have stable footing most of the time that are helped on and off with no problem, so please try and go so you don't miss some of the terrific ports that you will be visiting.

Been readin this thread all day - but first chance to respond. Remember, the millions and millions of calm completely stable tender boardings never make youtube - they are too boring - you're only going to see the worst. Believe me, they have plenty of crew there - and they won't let you get hurt or fall in.

Thanks everyone. I figured I was probably overreacting.

And also keep in mind that they simply don't tender if it's not safe that day. There is no "tender must run at all costs" policy. If the weather conditions, or sea conditions are too rough, they cancel it.

Have a great time, and who knows. By the time your second tender ride happens, you might even want to sit up on the top deck and enjoy the ride from up there.

On a recent cruise in the Med, we called into Monte Carlo and had to tender in. Going in was great, the weather was fine but a bit of a swell developed, so much so that the cruise ship had to come more in shore to cut down on the trip. I am not frightened of water or heights, but what a ride back to the ship that was, they even closed the upper deck on the tender, really great getting tossed about, then you get into the lee of the ship and all went calm. What I am trying to say is getting on and off the tender is usually easy and should hold no fear, but a tender may bounce about a bit if the sea has a swell, which only needs to be 2 or 3 feet. The other point to bear in mind, tenders are also life boats and although not the most stable in the water, they don't sink either

If it is too rough to tender they will not tender! We couldn't tender in Grand Cayman last month. (We got our port fee back- it was deducted from what we owed!) Years ago in Cayman it got so rough later in the day the ship moved to the other side of the island were it was not rough. They bused the passengers over there to get on the ship. This was late in the day. Don't know if thats been done again but the captain was very aware of the water.

Don't worry. You can watch pasengers getting on the tender from railing above the tender station. You'll see its easy!

On my next cruise, I will have to tender into Belize I think. I'm a little frightful since I've never done it before and I've never seen any.

My question is, when you get onto the tender, is the boat already in the water or do they lower you from a higher deck?

No - it's a boat that is alongside the cruise ship - it's like stepping from one boat onto another. They put a ramp (gangway) from the cruise ship over to the tender - and the tender is right up against the cruiseship. What folks are talking about is if the water is a bit wavy, the ship might be going up (swell) while the tender is going down (trough) - the gangway is the bridge between them.

People are imagining a tender as a lil dinghy or rowboat - it's not - it can be used as a lifeboat too (any thing will do when abandoning ship) - think more of when you go somewhere like Baltimore's Inner Harbor and they have water taxis.

On my next cruise, I will have to tender into Belize I think. I'm a little frightful since I've never done it before and I've never seen any.

My question is, when you get onto the tender, is the boat already in the water or do they lower you from a higher deck?

I love tender ports.

Getting on and off has never been a bother but I really can`t imagine how they would get a scooter or wheelchair on. I have only been on ones with a step down after you board.

Most of the time, tendering is simple and smooth. There are usually two, or more, crew to help you step from the ship to the tender--elderly people, small children, those with disabilities, everyone manages just fine. The tender boats float beside the ship and are quite large--we're not talking rowboats here--and usually have a large covered deck.

We've been lucky to have never, in quite a few cruises, had a rough tender embark/debark, except when sailing with a Windjammer cruise some years ago. Tendering was an adventure on those small sailing ships, that have much more movement than the giant cruise ships, but even then 80+ year-olds were able to make it. If there is some up-and-down movement, the crew will do even more to ensure you safely get on board.

If it's truly too dangerous to tender, the port will be skipped. You will be fine--don't miss seeing an island because it's a tender port.

Archived