Take Laptop on Conquest...or Not??

nanuak

Lugging it onboard I could have done without but I take lots of photos and video and it gave me a way of off-loading my cameras at the end of the day to free up my cards (and backup). It was also nice to look the photos on the laptop.

Do you have kids? It's a way for them to watch a DVD too.

I never once hooked-up to the Internet while onbaord. That I can do without on vacation.

I want to take my new laptop with me on our cruise, but my husband is trying to change my mind.... Why shouldn't I?

The downside with bringing a laptop in board is that you'll use it and internet access is kinda pricy...

I take mine all the time and have never had any kind of problem...

Im going on the Liberty tommorrow and ive got mine with me plus my ship has Bow2Stern WIFI so it can be used from the room don have to battle for a computer at the Internet Cafe.....Heres some info Below about the Internet

Wireless internet access is available across our entire fleet. Depending on the vessel, we have either limited wireless access in and around the shipboard internet café and select public areas or a complete "Bow2stern" wireless network. The complete "Bow2stern" wireless network is currently available on the following vessels; Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Splendor.

The "Bow2Stern" network allows our guests to enjoy Internet access from literally anywhere on board, including all public areas, lounges, bars and pool decks, guest suites and cabins. To take full advantage of this feature, guests should bring their personal laptops along with them, as the number of laptops available for rent onboard is limited. In addition, this network provides supports the latest Wi-Fi enabled iPhones, PalmPilots and Blackberrys.

Internet Café Price List

We have several options available to guests wishing to use the internet service. the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options* are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop.

• An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

• A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute ("Pay-As-You-Go") is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted Time Plans

Discounted Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation. Please note that there is no refund for unused minutes on these Time Plans and upgrading selected pricing options is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

I am thinking that I since can plug my camera card directly into my laptop and download pictures, it would be a great idea.

I can also start on my review, so that I don't forget things (I'm getting older). I know that on our last Conquest cruise, I didn't take enough pictures.

Can I connect from my cabin (6483), or will I need to go to the Internet Cafe? Do I need a phone cord, or will my wifi card work?

I really should stay away from the internet, as that would allow my office to have direct contact YUCK! That is why we go to the Caribbean every year (it only took about 3 years of $500-$1000 international phone charges, for them to stop calling me on vacation).

We don't have any kids (other than 4 legged, and winged). I guess I could placate my husband by bringing some DVD's :D .

What is the likelyhood of theft? Do ya'll lock your laptops up when out out of the cabin?

Im going on the Liberty tommorrow and ive got mine with me plus my ship has Bow2Stern WIFI so it can be used from the room don have to battle for a computer at the Internet Cafe.....Heres some info Below about the Internet

Wireless internet access is available across our entire fleet. Depending on the vessel, we have either limited wireless access in and around the shipboard internet café and select public areas or a complete "Bow2stern" wireless network. The complete "Bow2stern" wireless network is currently available on the following vessels; Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Pride, Carnival Legend, Carnival Destiny, Carnival Triumph, Carnival Victory, Carnival Valor, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Freedom and Carnival Splendor.

The "Bow2Stern" network allows our guests to enjoy Internet access from literally anywhere on board, including all public areas, lounges, bars and pool decks, guest suites and cabins. To take full advantage of this feature, guests should bring their personal laptops along with them, as the number of laptops available for rent onboard is limited. In addition, this network provides supports the latest Wi-Fi enabled iPhones, PalmPilots and Blackberrys.

Internet Café Price List

We have several options available to guests wishing to use the internet service. the below options are available. Please note that the internet pricing options* are identical, whether an Internet Café terminal is utilized, or a laptop.

• An initial one-time Activation Fee of $3.95 applies to each user.

• A basic time charge of $0.75 per minute ("Pay-As-You-Go") is available. Minutes are rounded to the next full minute.

Discounted Time Plans

Discounted Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans do not have to be used in a single session and can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation. Please note that there is no refund for unused minutes on these Time Plans and upgrading selected pricing options is not available. Plans are subject to change.

Cruises less than six days in length:

• 30 minutes for $16.50 ($0.55 per minute)

• 60 minutes for $24.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Cruises six days in length and longer:

• 100 minutes for $55.00 ($0.55 per minute)

• 250 minutes for $100.00 ($0.40 per minute)

Rick&James,

Thanks for this information, but I don't see the Conquest listed as a "Bow2Stern" ship :( .

Lugging it onboard I could have done without but I take lots of photos and video and it gave me a way of off-loading my cameras at the end of the day to free up my cards (and backup). It was also nice to look the photos on the laptop.

Do you have kids? It's a way for them to watch a DVD too.

I never once hooked-up to the Internet while onbaord. That I can do without on vacation.

Nezmo,

I read your review, and loved LilC's evening wear with the towel animals (she looked lovely, what a lucky guy you are).

I think that it would be great to be able to download all my pictures, and start with an empty card on a daily basis.

It is much easier for me to type a daily log on my laptop, then trying to remember after the fact.

Maybe it could be too many DOD's, single malt scotch, or martini's??? :D

I brought my laptop on Conquest back in July, and I never even plugged it in. I set it on the desk and there it sat, the whole trip. Yes, I used the internet but I just went into the internet cafe since it was right next to the dining room. While I was waiting for them to open the doors to the dining room for dinner I caught up on email.

I've got heaps and heaps of 1 GB and 2 GB cards so it ended up I didn't even need to download my photos onto the laptop which is why I brought it in the first place.

My laptop is one of those small and super light kinds, so lugging it isn't an issue - I just didn't use it!

Which is not to say others don't...I saw lots of people just kicking back by the lobby bar using theirs. I didn't have the need for it and won't bring it again.

Good luck on your decision~

I am thinking that I since can plug my camera card directly into my laptop and download pictures, it would be a great idea.

I can also start on my review, so that I don't forget things (I'm getting older). I know that on our last Conquest cruise, I didn't take enough pictures.

Can I connect from my cabin (6483), or will I need to go to the Internet Cafe? Do I need a phone cord, or will my wifi card work?

I really should stay away from the internet, as that would allow my office to have direct contact YUCK! That is why we go to the Caribbean every year (it only took about 3 years of $500-$1000 international phone charges, for them to stop calling me on vacation).

We don't have any kids (other than 4 legged, and winged). I guess I could placate my husband by bringing some DVD's :D .

What is the likelyhood of theft? Do ya'll lock your laptops up when out out of the cabin?

We always take our laptop so that we can download our pictures - sometimes a couple of times a day. It is so handy.

We don't use it to connect to the internet. This is our only vacation without a portable office!

As for theft - we leave the laptop on the desk, with a picture slideshow. It is fun to watch while waking up, going to sleep or getting ready for dinner. Even the cabin stewards have said they enjoyed watching it!

It would have been wonderful to have had mine on my cruise. I didnt take it because of the weight and I have to help everyone else with their luggage, but when Ike hit, if I had had it set up, I would have felt much better at least more in control, knowing what was happening.

Also, when folks had to rearrange to go out of New Orleans, those using the internet cafe had to wait hours, if you had been already set up just in case to go online on the ship, booking a car would have been a piece of cake online.

It would be handy if things go wrong.

Any other ideas???

I bring mine along for the drive (GPS on a laptop is great), but do not take it on the ship. For downloading pictures, we have an Epson P4000. If you have never heard of it, it is a self-contained, portable photo storage device and palm sized photo album (if desired). Handy way to have others look at the photos without having to scroll through the camera or get the laptop out. Pocket size (large pockets), battery or AC adapter power. Your camera card plugs into the slot and a USB cable conbnects to your computer when you get home.

Disclaimer: No, I do not work for Epson. This is just a handy device to have when traveling if you take a lot of photos.

Oh wait-dont forget the PDA-your cell-maybe the kids xbox -two ipods and a gps and your relaxing cruise will be just like at home:eek: One plus should be that there should be plenty on lounge chairs as most will be in their rooms on the internet:D

My wife and I each take a laptop on every cruise. We both have IBM Thinkpad X22's at the moment, which are small and light. The X20's are very inexpensive on Ebay right now, and are only slightly less powerful. Hope this helps.

I bring mine along for the drive (GPS on a laptop is great), but do not take it on the ship. For downloading pictures, we have an Epson P4000. If you have never heard of it, it is a self-contained, portable photo storage device and palm sized photo album (if desired). Handy way to have others look at the photos without having to scroll through the camera or get the laptop out. Pocket size (large pockets), battery or AC adapter power. Your camera card plugs into the slot and a USB cable conbnects to your computer when you get home.

Disclaimer: No, I do not work for Epson. This is just a handy device to have when traveling if you take a lot of photos.

Great idea!

Oh wait-dont forget the PDA-your cell-maybe the kids xbox -two ipods and a gps and your relaxing cruise will be just like at home:eek: One plus should be that there should be plenty on lounge chairs as most will be in their rooms on the internet:D

I know you are being sarcastic, but....

PDA built into cell phone.... check

IPOD w/speaker docking station.... check

Car has blue tooth activated GPS, so its not necessary to bring the hand-held.

Lounge chair(s) on 9A balcony.... I hope check :D.

Any other ideas???

On the pro side, it makes a great place to set your Drink of the Day as you lay back on your lounge chair - no more reaching down to the side of your chair searching for your drink and no chance someone will knock it over:D :D :D

I'm seriously considering bringing my laptop. I'm traveling with my best friend, leaving DH, DS15, and DS9 at home. I can send them photos and touch base with an email each day/evening if I bring it.

I'm really unhappy about the cost. I wouldn't mind $55 for unlimited access - but for 100 minutes!! Seems awfully pricey - but - it would stop me from staying online too long. I have 5 days to decide - I'll be on the Liberty on Nov 1 - wooohooo!!!

We downloaded pictures daily and prepared multiple e-mails with the pictures attached to our family at home (off line). Once all of the e-mails were prepared, we would go on-line and launch the e-mails. I think we spent a total of 30 minutes on the net during our 7 day cruise. We will take the laptop on the next cruise as well. I also kept a daily journal of the things we did each day (when you are old like me you have to do this in order to keep things straight - different port each day - had to keep track of what happened where and when)

Archived