Anyone Speculating? Mariner Society.....

sail7seas

Given the economic times, I suspect even if more had been considered, practical restraints will dictate less.

I don't honestly think any change necessary.

HAL has the highest percentage of repeat cruisers. They don't need to offer us 'gimmes' to get us back again and again.

I expect very little "REAL' change. Perhaps a small OBC predicated upon number of days or small discount on future cruises.

The tricky part of all of this is to not water down the perks that those sailing in Deluxe Suites pay dearly for. And I say this as someone who is more apt to sail in the cheap seats, than not.

Looking at it from the perspective of a cruise line, assuming I wanted to improve the current program, I would be more inclined to reward based upon accumulated money spent, than days sailed. That of course presumes that the cruise line retains this information within the repeat guest data base.

The tricky part of all of this is to not water down the perks that those sailing in Deluxe Suites pay dearly for. And I say this as someone who is more apt to sail in the cheap seats, than not.

Looking at it from the perspective of a cruise line, assuming I wanted to improve the current program, I would be more inclined to reward based upon accumulated money spent, than days sailed. That of course presumes that the cruise line retains this information within the repeat guest data base.

I agree. I think the odds high they have a running total on the amount each Mariner has spent but, of course, I'm only guessing.

We've had the conversation in the past about a guest who has 500 days sailed in an "S" suite vs a guest with 500 days in an Inside Cabin.

Both have 500 days of loyalty to the line but have spent considerably different sums.

I don't know or really even have an opinion if that makes any difference. I go back and forth in my thinking about it. I see and agree with both sides of that conversation.

That if HAL decided to pay off mariners mortgages and put all their kids thru college there would still be people complaining.
Count us with RuthC and Sail - no mortgage and no kids that need college funds. There isn't a 'one size fits all' (if such a thing EVER exists) except a good old discount or OBC.

But, will the size of the bust vary upon the amount said Mariner has paid over the years? Will those for whom have only booked S suites be larger than those who've only booked inside cabins? What about those of us who have booked everything from insides to suites? More problems. :eek:

We've had the conversation in the past about a guest who has 500 days sailed in an "S" suite vs a guest with 500 days in an Inside Cabin.

Both have 500 days of loyalty to the line but have spent considerably different sums.

HAL currently applies a simple calculation for determining Mariner status – days on board. To HAL, all Mariner days are created equal. But not all days are equal to the Mariner who pays for them! ;);)

There are several factors that affect the "price" of a Mariner day. It’s already been discussed here that a day in a Suite costs a whole lot more than a day in an Inside. But type of accommodation is not the only variable to consider. What about class of ship? The Prinsendam costs a whole lot more per diem across all accommodation levels compared to other vessels. The S & R ships tend to cost more than the Vistas, whether in a Suite or an Inside, even on the same routes. What about season? Peak summer & holiday times typically cost more per day than off-season, across all accommodation levels. What about itinerary? A flip thru HAL brochures shows that remote, exotic itineraries like Iceland, Greenland or Antarctica cost more per diem than the popular & heavily marketed sailings like Alaska or the Caribbean. And a day on a Grand Voyage in any accommodation costs more than a day on virtually any other sailing.

To be “fair” in its calculation of Mariner status, HAL would need to consider a host of factors. I don’t think this is practical. As we know, HAL has difficulty keeping track of simple days. I also do not think that HAL will cannibalize its existing Suite product by including those perks as give-aways in any revamped Mariner program.

What about those of us who pay for included dry cleaning/pressing/laundry in the price of our Suites? We are 500 days and always sail in a Suite, so under free pressing and laundry, 'high day' Mariners like us would get nothing. Doesn't seem quite fair for us to pay for something we would have gotten free based on our Mariner status..... unless they discount our cruise by an appropriate sum of money.

We don't drink 5 sodas in a year. What would I do with a soda card?

We often have Pinnacle dinner gift cards.

Not trying to be difficult, just pointing out the reality of why it is so hard to please everyone.

Wouldn't seem a great idea to anger their very high day Mariners who spend so much booking those suites, would it?

I have always maintained, the best idea is OBC or amount of money off future cruised based on number of days. Everyone likes money and it is equitable to all and can be used as one wants. You want to go to the Spa, great. I want to go to Pinnacle, great.

Isn't this basically what I said?

Btw, one can now purchase the laundry and pressing package (we did) and the cost was $99.00 for two for 10 days. Why would this anger Mariners if someone had a 100 points and could pick the laundry package on a 7-10 day cruise??? I can purchase that right now for $99.00. If you are in a Suite and do not need laundry you could pick something else, such as coffee, Pinnacle Grille, Spa, Bingo, bottle of wine.

It's basically the same thing as OBC but OBC can be somewhat of a problem. You have already hard people say their TA will not combine OBC with Am Ex OBC (you can't use Am Ex credit if you use a TA who is part of Ensemble for example), or some OBC promotion can't be combined with stockholder credit or some other OBC. Having a menu is a way to keep this "credit" completely seperate so that Mariners can save them (just like the airline rewards) and use them as they need/want and not even on a specific cruise since they could order on the cruise or order a logo hat etc when they get home. I thought MightyQuinns idea was brilliant.

To be “fair” in its calculation of Mariner status, HAL would need to consider a host of factors. I don’t think this is practical. As we know, HAL has difficulty keeping track of simple days. I also do not think that HAL will cannibalize its existing Suite product by including those perks as give-aways in any revamped Mariner program.

The problem is that now HAL is selling many of these (not the use of the Neptune lounge though) in the form of a Suites Amenity package. Someone posted recently of their experience when the booked an inside cabin along with the Suites Amenity package.

But, will the size of the bust vary upon the amount said Mariner has paid over the years? Will those for whom have only booked S suites be larger than those who've only booked inside cabins? What about those of us who have booked everything from insides to suites? More problems. :eek:

There's also the risk of the bust not looking like the person,or they only want it displayed on a certain ship or only in the Neptune Lounge. Yes "Houston" we've got problems.

Back To The

denby_drawing_board.jpg

icon13.gifSince they stopped the dividends don't expect anything more on your cruise.

I saw this on my stock web site this morning:o So the question is while it is low should I quickly buy a whole bunch more and try to make a quick 40 cents a share in December then sell or will it drop drastically more after the dividend pay out making the few bucks I make in the probably last ever dividend stupid:confused: I am thinking just to stay where I am. I doubt they will ever go back to paying a dividend.:(

But back to the original Speculation of Mariner Perks.... I think just give us ship board credit based on number of days. It really is a Win Win. The Mariners will spend more based on having ship board credit which increases on board revenue and the Mariners can chose what they want. Over all giving the ship board credit does not really cost the company dollar for dollar and in many cases they come out ahead.

All of this conversation about it has brought me back to.......

They Really do not have to give us anything different than now. We keep coming back for the crew, the ships, the experience. It still remains true they have the highest percentage of repeaters in the business. They must be doing a great many things right!

I don't expect and really don't much care about them offering more.

JMO ..... :D

All of this conversation about it has brought me back to.......

They Really do not have to give us anything different than now. We keep coming back for the crew, the ships, the experience. It still remains true they have the highest percentage of repeaters in the business. They must be doing a great many things right!

I don't expect and really don't much care about them offering more.

JMO ..... :D

Sail I totally agree 100% :) But.....since it was HAL that said they were going to be doing something to the Mariner Perks it is still fun to speculate ;)

We were on the Pdam in July/August for the Norway\Iceland\Greenland\Scotland cruise and it was our first exposure to the "luncheon". I think lunch in the dining room on any given day is more personal than this luncheon was. The selections were very limited, wine hard to come by, and personal attention totally lacking. We accepted it for what it was, but the others at our table were clearly displeased and very vocal, which made it even more unpleasant.

Since Captain Gunderson is so outgoing and friendly, we were quite disappointed as there was no recognition of anything except having cruised on HAL sometimes in the past.

Next time, unless there's a change, we'll have a lunch of our choosing on our time. Just off Princess for 31 days and certainly enjoyed the internet usage and fairly nicely done Captain's Circle gathering!! Working toward elite on Princess for the free laundry that would have really helped out on the 31 days!! :rolleyes:

We have attended this lunch a few times -- the last one we went to on the Westerdam was the worst -- everything was smothered in onions!! That is all you tasted.

We gave up going to the Mariner functions. The last few were so crowded you could barely get around much less enjoy snacks, food, or drinks. Realize some people love them and I understand that but they could do away with them and we'd not be particularly disappointed. Again, the Mariner program isn't much and reading this thread really points out how very difficult it is or would be to meet all the various expectations. Glad it's not my job.

Don't wish to quote so many people here.

But someone mentioned that HAL "COULD" pay off our mortage and pay for the children to go to college. HMM - we would lose out on that -- morage has been paid off for 25 years and we don't have any children

Spa -- don't use it -- have no desire to use it.

Free laundry, dry cleaning, etc., -- we already get that free.

An extra dinner at the Pinnacle -- okay -- we only get 1 from AMEX PLat.

We gave up going to the Mariner functions. The last few were so crowded you could barely get around much less enjoy snacks, food, or drinks. Realize some people love them and I understand that but they could do away with them and we'd not be particularly disappointed. Again, the Mariner program isn't much and reading this thread really points out how very difficult it is or would be to meet all the various expectations. Glad it's not my job.

For the better part of 2 years HAL has been doing the lunches -- Don't have to worry about barely getting around.

I'm not sure about how to add my own thoughts here, mainly because most of you have many more HAL cruises under your belts than I do, and I don't wish to appear supercilious.....

.....anyway - here's my two cents/pennies/drachma (delete as appropriate)

Currently, the Mariners program costs HAL almost absolutely nothing. It will almost certainly stay that way. Marketing departments are paid a fortune to make sure they retain repeat customers at the lowest possible cost. The tricks they employ are to make it appear to the customer that they are being treated to something 'unavailable' to the first time cruiser, and therefore are somehow 'preferable' to have on board.

On our last cruise, 86% of the cruisers were Mariners, a number that I don't think is unusual for HAL. It simply is not possible to give 86% of 1200, 2000 or 760 people something for nothing.

What might be on the cards is a revamp of the scheme, in order to align the rewards in line with the profit generated by the cruiser in question. To play devil's advocate, why should someone who regularly cruises in the Penthouse Suite receive exactly the same rewards as someone who has the same number of days, but by booking the lowest cost accomodation on the ship? Personally, I don't care who sleeps where, but I can assure you that the Marketing department at HAL will be trying a lot harder to retain the PS cruisers than they will the lowest category of passenger.

Think of it this way....in the UK, almost every supermarket or high street chain store has a 'loyalty' program. These are almost always based upon the amount you spend with the store in question, not on the time you spend in the store, why should a cruise line looking to retain its best customers be any different. You already know that HAL can track every penny you spend on their ships, and will be able to target their marketing at those who bring in the greatest profits.

So, in a nutshell, here's my prophecy. HAL's Mariner program will change from being 'Days' based to be 'Profit' based somehow. They might couch it in different terms, but if they're serious about retaining their profitable clients, that's what I'd be doing.....

As I said, just my 2p/d/c'th

Tim

I'm not sure about how to add my own thoughts here, mainly because most of you have many more HAL cruises under your belts than I do, and I don't wish to appear supercilious.....

.....anyway - here's my two cents/pennies/drachma (delete as appropriate)

Currently, the Mariners program costs HAL almost absolutely nothing. It will almost certainly stay that way. Marketing departments are paid a fortune to make sure they retain repeat customers at the lowest possible cost. The tricks they employ are to make it appear to the customer that they are being treated to something 'unavailable' to the first time cruiser, and therefore are somehow 'preferable' to have on board.

On our last cruise, 86% of the cruisers were Mariners, a number that I don't think is unusual for HAL. It simply is not possible to give 86% of 1200, 2000 or 760 people something for nothing.

What might be on the cards is a revamp of the scheme, in order to align the rewards in line with the profit generated by the cruiser in question. To play devil's advocate, why should someone who regularly cruises in the Penthouse Suite receive exactly the same rewards as someone who has the same number of days, but by booking the lowest cost accomodation on the ship? Personally, I don't care who sleeps where, but I can assure you that the Marketing department at HAL will be trying a lot harder to retain the PS cruisers than they will the lowest category of passenger.

Think of it this way....in the UK, almost every supermarket or high street chain store has a 'loyalty' program. These are almost always based upon the amount you spend with the store in question, not on the time you spend in the store, why should a cruise line looking to retain its best customers be any different. You already know that HAL can track every penny you spend on their ships, and will be able to target their marketing at those who bring in the greatest profits.

So, in a nutshell, here's my prophecy. HAL's Mariner program will change from being 'Days' based to be 'Profit' based somehow. They might couch it in different terms, but if they're serious about retaining their profitable clients, that's what I'd be doing.....

As I said, just my 2p/d/c'th

Tim

Love your 2 cents!!

If HAL would reward those of us who have booked some pricey cruises -- WOW -- that would be so nice!!!

Some of our 15 - 23 day DELUX suite cruises have been very pricey!!

And the person who sails 500 days in an "S" suite gets their reward in terms of the enhanced service and "perks" that go along with that suite. Mariner awards reward days sailed on the line ... period. What type of accommodations you sail in shouldn't make one iota of difference.

As you know, I 100% agree that Mariner benefits should be kept entirely separate from suite benefits. It is unfair to duplicate them and thus degrade the value the suite passenger is getting for his money. But part of keeping them separate means that the suite passenger enjoys an entirely different set of perks, based on his accommodations. Only the suite passenger will get the enhanced level of service that comes with those accommodations, such as the use of the Neptune Lounge concierge, the canapes, the unlimited laundry, etc.

If HAL wants to further enhance suite benefits, by perhaps including some free internet, extra parties, etc., that's fine. But any enhancements to the Mariner program should be based on days sailed regardless of what you spent to do so.

Just my humble opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Some of our 15 - 23 day DELUX suite cruises have been very pricey!!

And they're pricey because you CHOOSE those accommodations. You enjoy that enhanced level of service while onboard.

Mariner perks reward days sailed and that's it. If I am willing to sail them in an inside cabin and a far lower price than you pay, then that's my choice. I don't get the same "quality" of cruise that you get in the luxury accommodations. That's a choice I made, just as you've made yours, and it shouldn't matter beans in terms of the awarding of Mariner days. A day on a HAL ship is a day on a HAL ship, regardless of where your cabin is located. Mariner recognition should reward that, and nothing else. Suite perks will take care of compensating you for the extra you spent over me. If you don't feel you are being compensated enough in that regard, then that's a decision you have to make the next time you are selecting your accommodations, but you shouldn't be looking to the Mariner program to enhance the value of your suite. After all, we all sail the ship, and thus should be treated equally in that regard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

And they're pricey because you CHOOSE those accommodations. You enjoy that enhanced level of service while onboard.

Mariner perks reward days sailed and that's it. If I am willing to sail them in an inside cabin and a far lower price than you pay, then that's my choice. I don't get the same "quality" of cruise that you get in the luxury accommodations. That's a choice I made, just as you've made yours, and it shouldn't matter beans in terms of the awarding of Mariner days. A day on a HAL ship is a day on a HAL ship, regardless of where your cabin is located. Mariner recognition should reward that, and nothing else. Suite perks will take care of compensating you for the extra you spent over me. If you don't feel you are being compensated enough in that regard, then that's a decision you have to make the next time you are selecting your accommodations, but you shouldn't be looking to the Mariner program to enhance the value of your suite. After all, we all sail the ship, and thus should be treated equally in that regard.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was thinking the same thing myself.

I agree with Rita. Nothing would turn me off more than feeling that some passengers aren't valued as much as others. Sort of 'We really don't value your continued patronage' or 'We don't want to serve your kind'. :eek: What we pay for a cruise gets us the cabin and assorted benefits for that cruise. Period.

Besides there is also the 'Grand Mariner' status. Those Grand Voyages cost more per diem than a cheapie Caribbean cruise where there is lots of competition.

Plain and simple - count the days only.

Archived