May have a reservation issue

kfirst

My bf reserved our cruise through **** and listed my name as Kathy instead of my legal name Kathryn which is on all my proof of citizenship. :eek: Will I have a problem boarding the cruise ship because of this or should I try to get it changed. Do you know if they will charge for this because on ****'s website it states there might be a fee to change any names. Anyone gone through this situation before?

How close to your cruise are you? If it's within the next few days, I would not worry about it. But if you are further out, I would definitely change your name on the reservation to match what is on your proof of citizenship.

Well, when I reserved our last cruise I listed my sister with her given middle name but I forgot she uses the old convention of a married woman using her maiden name as her middle name. Her passport shows her maiden name as her middle name, but the check-in agent at pier said there was no problem. However, since your problem involves your first, not middle name, maybe you should call the cruise line and see if this will be a problem at the pier. Better to take care of it now than be turned away on cruise day!

You absolutely need to check out the policy on your particular cruise. In some cases, you could be denied boarding if your name on the reservation does not perfectly match the name on your passport (this assumes you are on a cruise where you need a passport). If it were me (and we cruise a lot) I would directly call the cruise line and speak with one of their customer service folks.

Hank

I have been told previously that the first and last name on the reservation must match the government documents, ie. passport, exactly. I would not take the risk of being denied boarding. Even if a change is going to cost you some money it won't be anywhere near as much as what you will be out if you are on the dock when the ship sails out to sea.

Unfortunately, you may find that the folks at RCI will not give you much information since you booked through a third party. You may have to deal with ****.

My bf reserved our cruise through **** and listed my name as Kathy instead of my legal name Kathryn which is on all my proof of citizenship. :eek: Will I have a problem boarding the cruise ship because of this or should I try to get it changed. Do you know if they will charge for this because on ****'s website it states there might be a fee to change any names. Anyone gone through this situation before?

Are you in Canada? It's different with **** here. Let me know that before I prattle on.

It might not hurt to call RCI and see if you can change your name with them - when we made our honeymoon reservations for this April, we used my maiden name. Now that my name has changed, I just called them up and they changed it for me in about five seconds.

Now, I don't know if it will be different with a first name, or if you can even get anywhere w/ RCI since you booked with ****. You can still call - the worst they can tell you is to call ****. :o

Call **** and have them do it! They made the mistake of not making sure your names on the reservation and on your ID's were the same. That's their job. Call them.

It's the bf's fault. That's what he gave them. Nevertheless, you are correct in that **** should be the one making the correction.

I believe OP wants to avoid any charge and is trying to find another way about it in case there is one.

**** should not charge to make the name correction especially since the cruiseline does not charge for this. Documents will not be reissued, but the name will be corrected on the reservation and manifest.

Regardless of ****'s policy, I would suggest correcting this as it could cause problems at check in.

How, exactly, was this ****'s fault?

As someone who has been in the travel business for 25 years, I can tell you how this could be ******'s fault (and I said "could be", not "is").

Whenever making any kind of booking that requires government id (i.e. international, cruises, flights), any agent worth his/her salt should ask if the name matches their id, especially when given a name that is usually a nickname. The agencies that I have worked at trained all agents to do this automatically. "So is "Kathy" how her name is listed on her passport?" or some verbiage like this.

Now if he said "yes", that is another issue and not the agent's fault.

As someone who has been in the travel business for 25 years, I can tell you how this could be ******'s fault (and I said "could be", not "is").

Whenever making any kind of booking that requires government id (i.e. international, cruises, flights), any agent worth his/her salt should ask if the name matches their id, especially when given a name that is usually a nickname. The agencies that I have worked at trained all agents to do this automatically. "So is "Kathy" how her name is listed on her passport?" or some verbiage like this.

Now if he said "yes", that is another issue and not the agent's fault.

Ok, maybe. Of course that is assuming that an agent was even spoken to and the booking was not made on line with no agent's help at all.

I use a TA and he has a copy of my passport ,that way there is never a problem .One year the plane company wrote the information wrong and it was a hassle to change but they owned up to their mistake and it was settled about 5 minutes before my plane left , we were last on but we were on .

Archived