Price Dropped on Cruise and NCL not offering to match or OBC or...

nolaAlive

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolaAlive viewpost.gif

I could have booked the "upgrade" cat to begin with, but I wasn't interested. In my opinion, what they offered wasn't an upgrade, but a downgrade. I had already rejected those cabins as being undesirable when I booked in the first place.

They may not be desireable to you, but to NCL they are a step up...more expensive cabins then you picked/purchased. So by them offering the upgraded cabins to you, they are compensating you in their opinion. Just because you don't want those cabins, doesn't negate the fact that they were offered, and they are considered an upgrade.

I am the customer not NCL. What they are offering are cabins that I considered inferior to begin with, which is probably one reason why they are unsold.

I could have, and would have, purchased those cabins to begin with, if they were superior to what I have.

They are only offering a paper upgrade - in reality, it is a downgrade.

I understand cash is at a premium which is why I was willing to settle for an OBC which doesn't remove cash from their pockets and could encourage me to spend more. Who spends an OBC without going over the amount?

I don't get how OBC doesn't remove cash from their pocket. OBC gives you free products....dinners, liquor, items in the gift shop, etc. Those items have to be purchased by NCL and you get them for free. So how does OBC not cost them money?

It amounts to a discount, not products for free. If NCL were to offer an OBC, it might cost them 50%, probably less, in real dollars, but would be a 100% value to me.

The net result is that I will NOT spend a dime on the ship unless it provides a serious multiple in value to me.

For example, we have reserved a number of NCL excursions. I also know I can purchase the same excursions for half the price by not booking ship tours. This is one area I can re-visit. I have been to all the ports before.

But for the sake of what some seem to want to argue, suppose I had booked those cabins to begin with. The prices on those have also dropped. Since they are no higher category balconies, there is no possible upgrade they could offer. What then?

Yes there is...mini suites and suites.

I told them the upgrade they were offering was not an upgrade at all, and tried for suites of any kind (round two of negotiations) and was turned down. Of course, the rep I was talking with had to go through some mysterious help (hopeless?) desk to get this ruling.

I don't blame the rep at all. They were actually apologetic about the situation.

While I will probably sail on NCL again, I have learned the lesson. Only book last minute specials they may offer. It's the only way to be treated fairly.

I'm sorry but I fail to understand what is unfair about this. They are heavily discounting cabins so that they don't sail empty since final payment is passed. Had the prices of the rooms you booked gone up, would you be upset if NCL asked you to pay the higher price? I'd bet that you would, yet you want the lower price now. You cannot have it both ways.

I hope that you are able to put this aside and enjoy your trip. You obviously were happy with the price you got when you booked the trip or you wouldn't have booked it. So try not to let this issue ruin your hard earned vacation.

CG

All of the mainstream cruise lines are heavily discounting cruises these days. It appears that some are better than others at doing the right thing, which is to not only attract new cruisers, but to attract/reward repeat cruisers. Heck, a non-trivial credit toward a future NCL cruise would also work.

Once you have made an AGREEMENT to pay a certain price and have reached the final payment time, then the deal is sealed. If the price goes up or down, your contract is sealed.

Bologna. Baloney. Whatever.

Apparently only on NCL.

If the ship sinks before the cruise date, is the deal really sealed?

I could have booked the "upgrade" cat to begin with, but I wasn't interested. In my opinion, what they offered wasn't an upgrade, but a downgrade. I had already rejected those cabins as being undesirable when I booked in the first place.

I understand cash is at a premium which is why I was willing to settle for an OBC which doesn't remove cash from their pockets and could encourage me to spend more. Who spends an OBC without going over the amount?

But for the sake of what some seem to want to argue, suppose I had booked those cabins to begin with. The prices on those have also dropped. Since they are no higher category balconies, there is no possible upgrade they could offer. What then?

While I will probably sail on NCL again, I have learned the lesson. Only book last minute specials they may offer. It's the only way to be treated fairly.

I know it may seem like people are bashing you and maybe some are. But not all of us are. Most of us are just trying to show you that when you purchased your cruise you made an agreement. I understand there is a lot of money at stake here. But you did make an agreeement. Now you are on here saying NCL is the bad guy for not letting you break that agreement. Other cruise lines may offer OBC's or whatever, but NCL doesn't. Although I don't think it will get you very far, I do think you should call NCL Monday and talk this over with a supervisor. Maybe they can work out something that will make you feel better. Again, no bashing from me, but it does seem like you want your cake and to eat it too. I think that is what some of us are just trying to say.

No matter how it works out, I do hope your family has a great cruise. I have always wanted to take a Christmas cruise, but it has never worked out for us.

One rule: Do not return to web-site to re-check the prices after the final payment date has passed!!

Amen! This is also a great rule for airline tickets also.

And with the way the economy is going and with expected sales this would also work for TVs, Computers, dvd players, game systems, work out things, cars, bikes, tools etc.

Bologna. Baloney. Whatever.

Apparently only on NCL.

If the ship sinks before the cruise date, is the deal really sealed?

I believe that NCL would then be in default of the contact that both parties agreed to. NCL would then refund your TOTAL cruise payment since they were unable to meet the agreed upon terms.

That is, unless the entire company went under. (pun intended)

Let me understand this. Someone shops for a cruise. They find a price they like and pay it. They are ready to cruise.

* If the cruiseline NEVER lowers the price, they are perfectly happy with what they paid.

* If the cruiseline RAISES the price for other people, they are happy. In fact, you might even tell those other people they should have bought earlier.

* If the cruise sells out and others can not buy a cabin at any price, they are happy. Again, you might tell others they should have bought earlier.

BUT - if the cruiseline has some cabins that are about to be EMPTY when the ship sails and they decide it makes good business sense to sell them cheaper to fill them and get some revenue, then you are mad. You are mad that somebody else got a deal.

So, in the end, you are not mad about your price. You are mad that somebody else is getting a better deal.

I checked the price today of an upcoming NCL Christmas cruise. It looks like the price for the 3 cabins I have booked is $2000 or so less.

The cruise is paid for and now in the penalty phase. All NCL will offer is a cabin upgrade to a deck I wasn't interested in when I booked the cruise, much less now.

They won't refund some of the difference or offer an OBC or anything else.

I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to pay the penalty, cancel the cruise and rebook at the lower fare.

Has anyone ever gotten any different results with NCL? Their response is not much of an incentive for me to book next year's Christmas cruise with them.

Just yesterday I got a client an upgrade from an outside cabin to a balcony plus the $150 OBC, The cost for the client: $84.00 total, needless to say the client is very happy. I did this last week as well a couple of times. All were after final payment was made. What did your travel agent say about this?

Nita

This could be true, but then they would risk me canceling and then booking on a different cruise line. Would they really refuse my money? In this economy, I tend to think not.
Don't kid yourself, they very well take that chance..You were offered an upgrade which some lines wouldn't even have done that, you choose not to take it, that was your choice...

BTW, Carnival doesn't always match. I said a group last year, they were all past cruisers and still Carnival wouldn't even give them upgrades...

Nita

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the customer not NCL. What they are offering are cabins that I considered inferior to begin with, which is probably one reason why they are unsold.

I could have, and would have, purchased those cabins to begin with, if they were superior to what I have.

They are only offering a paper upgrade - in reality, it is a downgrade.

Had you booked those cabins in the beginning, would it not have cost you more money? If so, they are an upgrade no matter if you like them or not.

It amounts to a discount, not products for free. If NCL were to offer an OBC, it might cost them 50%, probably less, in real dollars, but would be a 100% value to me.

The net result is that I will NOT spend a dime on the ship unless it provides a serious multiple in value to me.

For example, we have reserved a number of NCL excursions. I also know I can purchase the same excursions for half the price by not booking ship tours. This is one area I can re-visit. I have been to all the ports before.

I still fail to see how OBC is not real cash TO YOU. And that's what we are talking about...cash to you. You say you already have excursions booked. You were going to pay NCL cold cash for those excursions. So if you received an OBC, NCL would not realize the cash for those excursions. So how is OBC not real money?

I told them the upgrade they were offering was not an upgrade at all, and tried for suites of any kind (round two of negotiations) and was turned down. Of course, the rep I was talking with had to go through some mysterious help (hopeless?) desk to get this ruling.

You statement was that if you had originally booked the cabins they are offering you now as an upgrade, there would be no other upgrade to offer you as they are the highest balcony cabins. I said that that was not true,there are suites. And you are saying that they won't offer you a suite. That is because that would be at least a 2 catgory upgrade from where you are now, not a one category like they are offering you. Had you purchased the "best" balcony cabins originally, you would have spent more money for those cabins, and a one category upgrade would be to a mini-suite.

All of the mainstream cruise lines are heavily discounting cruises these days. It appears that some are better than others at doing the right thing, which is to not only attract new cruisers, but to attract/reward repeat cruisers. Heck, a non-trivial credit toward a future NCL cruise would also work.

I'm sorry that you think that some of us are attacking you. We aren't. And I can understand why you want to try and get something out of them. And I don't blame you for trying. I think that all of us would. However, NCL's policy (good or bad) is that no OBC or refunds are given once final payment is past. If you know that when you book, then you have to be prepared for the price of your cruise to fall drastically after final payment and not be able to do anything about it.

I do want to suggest that you call them back and ask them what the price would be to upgrade to a mini-suite. It may be a trival amount of money and you could get a great upgrade for a very cheap price.

Have a great trip...I'm envious of a Christmas cruise! :D

CG

It says in the fine print on just about all these issue's that it's either for new bookings only or so forth. Like OhioNCLcruiser stated, if the price went up and NCL charged you more would you not have a complete crap attack?

I sure would, and as I suspect, most would. That's why cruiselines don't do it. Instead of raising the fare, they charge fuel supplements, increase onboard prices, increase the number of revenue-generating products and services on board, and start charging for things previously free. So booking early absolutely, positively does not prevent them from raising the price of your cruise.

Sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it, too. That's not the way the risk/reward trade-off works. You chose the book it early for peace of mind path, and were unwilling to take a chance at getting a lower price weeks before the cruise.

When people book a cruise, they are locking in a price for the product they expect to get. Now, cruise lines are businesses that need to be profitable, and I do not begrudge them having to make changes to generate more revenue. But while they may have no choice but to increase onboard prices, charge a supplement for a previously free restaurant, or cut back on staff, it lowers the value of the product you paid for.

They benefit from early bookings just as much as passengers do. They get the use of your deposit money long term. Early bookings help them with their forecasting. When sailings are filling early, they can increase the rates. Since early bookings offer advantages to both passenger & cruise line, why should the passenger incur all the disadvantages? Now who is it again that wants to have their cake and eat it too?

One rule: Do not return to web-site to re-check the prices after the final payment date has passed!!

I really don't agree with this. As long as you understand that you won't get any OBC or refund, you can get some great upgrades after final payment. On our last trip, my brother got upgraded from a small inside to a much bigger OV just days before leaving cause of the price drop. So for upgrade possibilities, it can be worth watching.

CG

I'm surprised that so many people seem perfectly fine with the fact that NCL has dropped prices by as much as 40% for some bookings (and now with dropping or lowering the fuel surcharge, it's even more) and already booked passengers are getting zero compensation for that. Almost every other industry I know of, and many other cruise lines for that matter, are willing to adjust prices or provide some sort of compensation for this type of thing. Even if NCL doesn't offer the full amount back in the form of a cash refund, I still feel that some sort of compensation is due.

I had booked the highest level outdoor cabin. There is no available cabin upgrade because the next higher level is a suite which is way more than what we paid for. So we just get screwed out of several hundred dollars. I haven't gotten on the ship yet, but I absolutely PROMISE you we will never be sailing NCL again. (Nor will we be nearly as free with out money on the ship. Shore excursions have already been cancelled and rebooked with private groups.) We are only in our 20s and cruise very frequently. We have the potential to be spending a lot more money over our lifetime on cruising. NCL has just lost a potential life time customer over a few hundred bucks. Even a couple of dinners in a surcharge restaurant...a shore excursion....an onboard credit.....a discount on a future cruise....a spa credit. Something....anything would have been a gesture of good faith that NCL cares about its customers. I know the economy is tough on the cruise lines right now. But alienating your customers is very bad business. I've had more luck getting a few frequent flier miles out of the airlines. Sorry NCL, but it will be back to HAL, Carnival, and Celebrity in the future. It's been a long time since a company has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I really don't agree with this. As long as you understand that you won't get any OBC or refund, you can get some great upgrades after final payment. On our last trip, my brother got upgraded from a small inside to a much bigger OV just days before leaving cause of the price drop. So for upgrade possibilities, it can be worth watching.

CG

Yes, you are right CruisnGram.

But, at the same time you need to be rational enough to NOT be upset if they do not offer you anything. Some people just can not handle it when they realize that could have gotten something for less and is not available to them. If you can handle this simple fact, then you should keep checking. If you are weak and can not handle it, then do as the poster before said - DON'T CHECK once you have paid.

CG

I agree with this, I think the point is, don't keep watching and then expect the cruise line to honor all requests. What your brother got is similar to what my client got yesterday. the reason they got the OBC had to do with the promo...The reason they got the upgrade for only a few $$s had to do with price drops.

Nita

Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's week cruises are very tricky to forecast. Years ago, one had to book early as the ships filled up fast. A few years ago, the Thanksgiving sailings became easier to book last minute. This year, I am seeing Christmas week price drops and fewer New Year's week price drops.

My rule is to expect nothing after final payment. Even so, anything is worth a try, worth a request, worth an inquiry...sometimes more than once! The difficult part is that the Christmas/New Year's sailings cost 2-3 times more than regular sailings.

Last spring I booked the Gem's New Year's sailing in a balcony. The price never dropped. I did not see any balcony or higher cabins released immediately before or immediately after final payment. I was thankful that I booked early because we wanted at least a balcony! I was totally prepared to see it go the other way. Given in our economy, I was expecting to see drastic price drops after final payment on the remaining cabins. Sure, I would have realized I had taken a chance, I would have my TA call anyway to try, but would fully understand the "no" because after sailing so many years with NCL, I know the contract I sign regarding rules after final payment.

On the flip side, my Pearl 02/22/09 handi-capped mini-suite aft price went way down and final payment is not until December. This adjustment occured during the recent NCL sale that ended yesterday. One phone call by my agent got the reduced price and the onboard credit.

The sale was so fantastic that I booked the Dawn for April 09. The combined price for the Pearl mini-suite and a Dawn balcony is only 2/3 the total price of the Gem during New Year's week.

My long-winded points are: 1. when you book a cruise, you really need to be totally satisfied with the price you book with, 2. no matter the cruise line, you really need to know the terms of their contract, 3. watch the fares in case yours goes down before final payment, and 4. after final payment, it can not hurt to ask because sometimes your request may be agreed to.

These boards are very useful in finding this stuff out! Over the years, most of my knowledge came from here.

coka

I sure would, and as I suspect, most would. That's why cruiselines don't do it. Instead of raising the fare, they charge fuel supplements, increase onboard prices, increase the number of revenue-generating products and services on board, and start charging for things previously free. So booking early absolutely, positively does not prevent them from raising the price of your cruise.

When people book a cruise, they are locking in a price for the product they expect to get. Now, cruise lines are businesses that need to be profitable, and I do not begrudge them having to make changes to generate more revenue. But while they may have no choice but to increase onboard prices, charge a supplement for a previously free restaurant, or cut back on staff, it lowers the value of the product you paid for.

They benefit from early bookings just as much as passengers do. They get the use of your deposit money long term. Early bookings help them with their forecasting. When sailings are filling early, they can increase the rates. Since early bookings offer advantages to both passenger & cruise line, why should the passenger incur all the disadvantages? Now who is it again that wants to have their cake and eat it too?

But in doing the things you have said they do, where in the agreement have they changed what the agreeement was between you and the cruiseline. None of the things you mentioned that they could change the charge for are in the agreement made when you purchase the ticket. That is why people find it hard to understand why it is a bash at the cruise lines. They are living up to the agreement made that is in writing when a cruise ticket is purchased.

I'm surprised that so many people seem perfectly fine with the fact that NCL has dropped prices by as much as 40% for some bookings (and now with dropping or lowering the fuel surcharge, it's even more) and already booked passengers are getting zero compensation for that. Almost every other industry I know of, and many other cruise lines for that matter, are willing to adjust prices or provide some sort of compensation for this type of thing. Even if NCL doesn't offer the full amount back in the form of a cash refund, I still feel that some sort of compensation is due.

I had booked the highest level outdoor cabin. There is no available cabin upgrade because the next higher level is a suite which is way more than what we paid for. So we just get screwed out of several hundred dollars. I haven't gotten on the ship yet, but I absolutely PROMISE you we will never be sailing NCL again. (Nor will we be nearly as free with out money on the ship. Shore excursions have already been cancelled and rebooked with private groups.) We are only in our 20s and cruise very frequently. We have the potential to be spending a lot more money over our lifetime on cruising. NCL has just lost a potential life time customer over a few hundred bucks. Even a couple of dinners in a surcharge restaurant...a shore excursion....an onboard credit.....a discount on a future cruise....a spa credit. Something....anything would have been a gesture of good faith that NCL cares about its customers. I know the economy is tough on the cruise lines right now. But alienating your customers is very bad business. I've had more luck getting a few frequent flier miles out of the airlines. Sorry NCL, but it will be back to HAL, Carnival, and Celebrity in the future. It's been a long time since a company has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel bad for you in that it seems your cruise is already ruined and you haven't even stepped foot on the ship. You are going to let this dictate what you do on your vacation that you spent good money for. That means not only have you lost the difference in what the fare is now, you really have lost every thing you pad for the cruise. Can you imagine how upset you would be if the price of the cruise had gone up, which does happen, and they contacted you asking you to pay the difference? Why should that be any different. It's no different than what you seem to be asking for. Just because they are a company is no reason they shouldn't expect you to pay more when they price goes up if you expect them to pay the difference if it goes down. Believe me, for every customer they lose by keeping with the agreement you made when you purchased their ticket there are ten more they will get that take advantage of the price drop.

It doesn't seem like ANTHING anyone offers as explanations as to why NCL will not do what the unhappy people want is EVER going to change their minds. It seems to be an exercise in futility. Maybe the best thing to do is give up and just let them wallow in their unhappiness.;)

It doesn't seem like ANTHING anyone offers as explanations as to why NCL will not do what the unhappy people want is EVER going to change their minds. It seems to be an exercise in futility. Maybe the best thing to do is give up and just let them wallow in their unhappiness.;)

You are so right iheartdba. It doesn't do any good to try to show them that they are not being screwed, that NCL is living up to the agreement made by both parties when they bought the cruise. Don't know why any of us try.

Just like any other aspect of travel, everyone is not going to pay the same price. You can book a hotel and can pay more/less than someone else in the same category room next door to you. You can book a flight and pay more/less than the person sitting next to you on the plane. You can rent the same category car for the same period and pay more/less for it. I think people just need to accept that in the the travel industry, you're either the person paying the most, the person paying the least, or somewhere in the middle.

Just like any other aspect of travel, everyone is not going to pay the same price. You can book a hotel and can pay more/less than someone else in the same category room next door to you. You can book a flight and pay more/less than the person sitting next to you on the plane. You can rent the same category car for the same period and pay more/less for it. I think people just need to accept that in the the travel industry, you're either the person paying the most, the person paying the least, or somewhere in the middle.

Allright! That'll be enough of that! We can't have people coming on here and being logical. It just doesn't seem to fit the mood. :rolleyes:

Terry,

You know what I think is humorous about this whole thing, and I mean the joke is on me in a way?;)

We cruised for a number of years before I knew about CC so didn't know that you could get an adjustment if the cruise price went down before final payment. That means that we booked a cruise and THAT is what we paid.

We probably could have gone on another cruise with all the money we didn't save. But, you know what? It doesn't matter. We booked at what we thought was a fair price, paid it, went on the cruise, had great times and were happy. :)

Terry,

You know what I think is humorous about this whole thing, and I mean the joke is on me in a way?;)

We cruised for a number of years before I knew about CC so didn't know that you could get an adjustment if the cruise price went down before final payment. That means that we booked a cruise and THAT is what we paid.

We probably could have gone on another cruise with all the money we didn't save. But, you know what? It doesn't matter. We booked at what we thought was a fair price, paid it, went on the cruise, had great times and were happy. :)

LOL.. that is too funny cause the same is true for us. We never looked back to see if we were getting screwed. We would never have booked the cruise if we werent happy with the price we paid. Thank god. Seems like you guys have had as great of vacations being blinded to the current price as we have. I mean it when I say I feel sorry for these people so upset by it, especially saying they will never cruise with NCL again, etc. They make it seem like their vacations are ruined before they ever leave. What a total waste of money for them. Its like I read on another posting.. it's only hurting yourself. If when they go to book future cruises they do not look at what options NCL has for them at that time, then they might get screwed out of more money by paying more for the same cruise but with a different cruise line. We love NCL, but we keep our options open to what serves our needs best at the time we book.

I'm so glad I found this thread today! I filled up my gas tank yesterday and paid for my gas. Today that same gas station is selling gas for 8 cents less per gallon than I paid yesterday.

I'm going to that station today and ask for either a refund of the difference in price or a credit on my next purchase at their station.

Works for me.;)

Dianne

I'm so glad I found this thread today! I filled up my gas tank yesterday and paid for my gas. Today that same gas station is selling gas for 8 cents less per gallon than I paid yesterday.

I'm going to that station today and ask for either a refund of the difference in price or a credit on my next purchase at their station.

Works for me.;)

Dianne

let us know if it works so we can all go back and get more!!! LOL

Archived