Navigator Greek Isles cruise

UmaS

We're considering taking Navigator to the Greek isles next fall. Has anyone been on this cruise? Have taken two previous Radisson cruises - Paul Gauguin in 2004, and Navigator to Alaska a few years earlier - and

loved both for the ports of call, service, accommodations, ship size

and fellow passengers.

We just returned from a cruise (on the Voyager) from Istanbul to Athens that included the Greek islands. It is an amazing itinerary! Several CruiseCritic members did the same cruise in October. We'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Thanks, Travelcat2,

Did you spend any time in Athens at the end of the cruise? We'd be going in the opposite direction. Our travel agent and nephew both suggested

that 1 1/2 days is ample to see the sights there. Would you agree? What did you think of Istanbul?

Have you posted a trip report? What were highlights of the trip for you?

Any ship's excursions you would recommend? Or can you suggest private tour operators? (We used a couple of private operators during our

Alaska cruise).

My questions are pretty general at this point, as I'm just beginning to research. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I agree that both ships are wonderful. I'd probably want to be on the Voyager for longer cruises -- just because of the dining choices.

Athens can be done in 1 1/2 days -- although it is a beautiful city, we were saddened by the dramatic increase in grafiti since we were last there. Istanbul, on the other hand, is amazing (everyone seems to say the same thing).

If you are able to do the tours in Istanbul yourself, I would recommend doing so. The ship is docked right near the tram that leads up to the Blue Mosque, Topaki Palace, etc. Walking over the bridge and around the city is also fun and very interesting. In my opinion, there is more to see in Istanbul than Athens.

The islands are incredible -- each one unique. I'll let other posters recommend tours -- we tend to do them ourselves. The donkeys in Santorini are in very good shape and are a good way to get to the top of the 700 ft. hill. Yes -- I did a review of the trip (see "Reviews" on the home page -- then look up Regent and Seven Seas Voyager).

Fall is a perfect time to visit this area. Many people who have been to these places in the summer felt it was too hot to do many of the things they wanted to.

I don't want to repeat everything I said in the review..... but would be happy to answer more questions.:)

We were on the Navigator from Athens to Rome about 2 years ago. We are booked on the Navigator again this December. We love the small ship size and enjoyed the restaurants. We did not have any problem getting into Portifino 3 nights. I did notice the vibration there and at the shows, but others we sat with, including my wife, did not notice until I pointed it out. I've never been on the Voyager, so can't compare, but we book cruises for the itinerary rather than the ship in most cases.

The med ports were Santorini, Kusadasi and Rhodes. I'd be happy to send you info on our daily activities in those areas.

Photos from the cruise are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Bornefamily/AthensRomeCruise2006#

My first Regent cruise was on the Navigator and I loved it but since have been on Voyager and would prefer it - mainly for its size and choice of restaurants. I too was recently on the Voyager from Venice/Istanbul/Athens. You can see Istanbul in one day if you plan it well. I tend not to remember what guides tell me, so prefer self touring where possible and with a guide book, Istanbul is easy to get around. Athens was very disappointing but it too can be seen in one day if you plan it. Of course, if you can spare another day, it won't be wasted. Be wary of the cab drivers in Athens - some are very good 'con' artists!

On the first day in Santorini there were six large ships in and I was less than impressed with it - far too crowded and very touristy. Captain Dag found out there were to be 11 ships in on the day allocated in the second week and re-organised the whole week so that we were there with only one other ship. It was fantastic - we went to Oia which is a must. The scenery was picture postcard. It's amazing how my opinion changed so much. Of course, we were extremely lucky with the weather - perfect! I would hate to go there in the heat.

Haven't checked your itinerary but all the islands have their own 'personality'.

Enjoyed your review, Travelcat2, and your pictures, lborne. And thanks to all for your responses. I'm already getting a sense of things to see/do in each port, where to take excursions and where to go on our own. Just

noticed Voyager does a reverse itinerary on Oct. 2. Any thoughts on the weather, crowds during mid-September versus beginning of October???

Ramadan in 2009 is from August 21st to September 19th. We were in Istanbul after Ramadan -- there is a week celebration. Many, many men were out fishing on the 1/4 mile Galata Bridge -- a great sight to see!

This particular cruise (assuming a 7 night Istanbul to Athens or visa versa) is extremely port intensive. There are no sea days and little time is spent on the ship during the day. So, either ship would be fine. Pick the one with the best dates for you, and, check with your TA to find out if your cabin selection is available.

I was just reading some posts on Tripadvisor about travel during Ramadan. Apparently only 50% of the Turkish people fast. Many restaurants are open (although some will not serve alcohol). Things are pretty much like normal except that the city is much more crowded (with Turkish people from other parts of the country). There are apparently 2-3 days where everything is closed, however, I was not able to determine which days these are.

I'd suggest doing some research before making a decision. If I come up with anything new, I'll post it here.

Archived