Princess cruiser to try RCI - Any help?

Hi folks,

I'm not having much luck with the search function, so I will ask for a comparison between RCI and Princess. We have been on 4 Princess cruises (all Grand class ships), but are considering a 4 day RCI cruise on Grandeur of the Seas.

Can you help me understand some of the differences between Princess and RCI? We are in our 40's, like the Movies Under The Stars feature on Princess, as my wife like to hang out by the pool during the day. We enjoy the dining room food (and are interested in a table for 2), anytime dining, and the buffet on Princess is good enough, although I think it could be better. We like the production shows in the evening. That's really about it. We like to hang out by the pool during the day, eat whenever the mood strikes and just hang out. Will we like RCI based upon this criteria?

Thanks,

Mike

you should like rci as much as you like princess- is there any way you could do your 4 nighter on navigator? instead of granduer? i have not done granduer but have done the enchantment( after the stretch) and for some reason am thinking you might like navigator better.......larger shp with more to do- rci doesnt have muts but there is music playing, band plays some, and there is food available somewhere most all the time-

is the cb a grand class ship? i tried cb last april for a 4 nighter and enjoyed the cruise- missed the royal promenade and ease of navigating the ship but overall had a great cruise on cb-

Granduer is a much older ship--RCI does a good job of "upkeep", but she's old and small....

For dining, you can request a 2-top, but it is just a request. If you do get seated with others, enjoy them! Everyone is there to have fun--including you, I assume! You'll have plenty of time to be alone together!

Do try the dining room for breakfast---it's so much nicer than the buffet! Other than that--have a great time--there's not as much difference in the 2 lines as you may think!

you should like rci as much as you like princess- is there any way you could do your 4 nighter on navigator? instead of granduer? i have not done granduer but have done the enchantment( after the stretch) and for some reason am thinking you might like navigator better.......larger shp with more to do- rci doesnt have muts but there is music playing, band plays some, and there is food available somewhere most all the time-

is the cb a grand class ship? i tried cb last april for a 4 nighter and enjoyed the cruise- missed the royal promenade and ease of navigating the ship but overall had a great cruise on cb-

Thanks for the reply. We are looking at a specific cruise, which is why it's the Grandeur. I know it is smaller than Princess Grand class ships, but that doesn't really bother us. The CB is a Grand class ship, and we have sailed on her once, and she was wonderful.

Can you get a table for 2 on RCI (Grandeur) for dining, you can on Princess, and I really love anytime dining feature, does RCI have that as well?

Mike

You can request a table for two on Royal Caribbean ships. We have had the best luck getting a table for two on smaller RCI ships such as Majesty of the Seas. When we sialed on Brilliance this year we requested a table for two but were assigned to a table for ten! Go figure.

What you can do if you do not get the table you want is find the maitre d' who will be stationed near one of the dining room doors, and ask him if it is possible to change. You may have to change your seating time to get a table for two. Lots of people will be trying to change their table.

I don't know if Grandeur is offering anytime dining options.

If push comes to shove, you do not have to eat in the dining room. You can order room service, eat in the Windjammer buffet or one of the alternate restaurants. I haven't sailed on Grandeur, so I don't know if they have a premium restaurant such as Chops or Portofino or a fun place such as Johnny Rockets diner.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Royal Caribbean.

i am sure the granduer will be great- we have not been disappointed yet but just have our pref. to ships with the royal promenade-

i dont know about my time dining on granduer- whether its offered or not..... rest assured there is food available most times of the day / night ( 24/ 7 ) if you include roomservice- we have eaten in the windjammer several times for dinner because i was running late getting ready for the d.r.- had great meals there in the w.j.- very relaxed - table cloths and "candlelit" tables totally diff atmosphere from breakfast and lunch- and they offer a good many of the same items that are being offered in the main d.r.- not lobster tho....... lol-

We are Loyal Royals who tried Princess for the first time this past August. We found the two lines to provide a similar cruising experience. Some things we liked better on Princess, and other things we thought RCI does better.

You can click on the link in my signature for my review of the Caribbean Princess, in which I made a lot of comparisons between the two lines.

As others have said, Grandeur is an older, smaller ship, so it really isn't comarable to the CB.

I've sailed Carnival, Princess and RCCL and haven't had a bad cruise yet. There is something to like about all of them. While I haven't been on the Granduer, I have sailed the Grand Princess and really loved their movie under the stars feature. Overall I think I like Royal Caribbean better, but I think each ship is different. I like the food and decor better on RCCL.

I think you'll find enjoyable features no matter which line your on. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the cruiselines.

I agree 100% with MD. I think if you can, you should try the major 3 lines. I loved and did not love something about all of them! For every person, I think your experience will be different. For example: (this is strictly our experience, yours may be different!)

RCCL-has something for all of the party I typically travel with, which includes my 2 different kids, one 8 and one 15. Also, I love the fact that the ship doesn't shut down at 10pm. Love the beauty of the ships....all of them, even the older ones!

Princess-Love the overall feel of the ship. Some will say a little 'older' crowd. I felt the balance was perfect and I loved anytime dining and Cafe Caribe. Loved the fact that the pools were chlorinated not salt water. A big issue for my family, but may not pursuade you and yours. I understand from cruise critic, the Freedom class has chlorinated pools! (Big plus for us!)

Carnival-loved the food! Period! Did not care for the pool situation, thought they were small, cold, and EXTREMELY crowded! Heard that they were the 'party' boat. Did not find that last June, summer, (mostly families). However, heard the shorter Carnivals are the party boat!

So, I think RCCL is worth a shot! After you cruise the three major lines, you should be able to make a really good decision of your favorite, however, it could change depending on the dynamics of your family! Have fun, no matter what!!;) A cruise to us is a very special experience and we are still testing the waters of all cruise lines!

We have been mostly on RCI, have tried Princess once (the Golden) and I agree with the others that said you will find the cruise lines comparable. however, the Grandeur is not a comparable Class of ship, so you are not really comparing apples to apples. We have never been on the Grandeur but have been on the Monarch which is an even smaller, older ship I believe and enjoyed it for a 3 & 4 night cruise. However, i would not choose it for a longer cruise.

I do not believe you will have Anytime Dining available of the Grandeur. however, if you have not experienced Traditional Dining the short cruise you are considering may be a good way to give it a try. you may be pleasantly surprised!

We found the entertainment comparable on the ships. We thought the food on princess was a bit better, but the cabins preferable on RCI. I prefer the onboard shopping on RCI. You can also enjoy a hot breakfast on your balcony on RCI, which you cannot do on Princess unless you are in a suite. Again, there a differences on the ships & lines. Don't spend your cruise making comparisons or you will surely spoil the cruise for yourself. Instead, you have the opportunity to have first-time cruiser experiences all over again!

When I tried Princess I made a whole new discovery - changing lines gives you a whole new menu & entertainment options! So enjoy the change. I'm even booked on three different lines right now - just to keep things interesting.:)

If you have been very happy with the grand class ships of Princess, I personally would choose something bigger than the Grandeur (and newer) I sailed one Radiance class, one voyager class and prefer the voyager class better. I think you may be setting yourself up for disappointment in choosing one of RCI older, much smaller ship.

IMO, the differences I miss most when not on Princess is the anytime dining. The evening entertainment on Princess has more variety and options although the quality is better on RCI. The buffet food is much better on Princess and available 24 hours.

You mentioned you like hanging out by the pool areas, well the cushioned chairs close to the pools are SO much more comfortable on Princess than those strappy lounge chairs which I am assuming is what the older ships on RCI will have.

Archived