Salt and Pepper Shakers

SabreSailor

Here's a heavy-duty one for the CC experts. At the end of each dinner on a recent cruise, our steward would place the salt and pepper shakers into the bread basket and remove it from the table. My assumption is that the uneaten bread is discarded - do they also dispose of the shakers (they are the plastic variety)? The ship was not under code red, and we were at the second sitting.

I know - this isn't a big deal! Just curious....

HAL salt and pepper shakers are removed for cleaning and filling. They are very much too nice to be disposable.

Think you may be referring to other shakers. The ones we had in the dining room on the Zuiderdam were of the plastic variety and I don't think they are refillable - they're the ones you might take to a picnic....

Think you may be referring to other shakers. The ones we had in the dining room on the Zuiderdam were of the plastic variety and I don't think they are refillable - they're the ones you might take to a picnic....

Plastic picnic style salt and pepper shakers in an HAL dining room? I'm speechless. In all our cruises on all the HAL ships (including 5 or 6 on Zuiderdam), I've never seen anything like that on a formal HAL dining table.

Sorry......can't answer your question.

I hadn't ever seen the plastic variety before either. And the "good ones" used to be left on the table at the end of the meal. Sounds like this is either something new or an anomaly....

Actually I have always seen the dining room staff remove the salt and pepper shakers from the dining room table by placing them in the bread basket -- this has been going on for years. They do it right before they serve dessert.

Eventually everything has to be cleaned off the tables so that the clothes can be changed for the next setting.

Going a little "off topic", I'm not a big fan of the "coarse" salt grinders in the Lido. Are they popular with most pax?
Not with me. They are absolutely ridiculous. I want the taste of salt from my shaker, not the texture of salt from a grinder. Who wants to crunch through salt on their scrambled eggs?

Not with me. They are absolutely ridiculous. I want the taste of salt from my shaker, not the texture of salt from a grinder. Who wants to crunch through salt on their scrambled eggs?

I agree. Out by the Lido pool they have the "regular" salt shakers, but in the Lido buffet area they employ the "grinders". Those little "salt rocks" on your eggs are unpleasant.

Most Cruise Lines follow standard European Service standards. Under those standards, it is common practice to remove salt and pepper dispensers from the table before dessert or cheese is served. The reason being that most people do not require salt and pepper for their cheese or dessert.

On all cruise ships, the USPH requires that leftover bread from your table is discarded.

Originally Posted by meterman2

Going a little "off topic", I'm not a big fan of the "coarse" salt grinders in the Lido. Are they popular with most pax?

I like 'em. :)

I like them too! We started using the grinders at home a few months ago, because the sea salt is better for you than regular salt. However, I am not a fan of the coarse salt on certain food items (eggs could be one,) so we found a sea salt in a shaker form, made by Morton. The flavor isn't as good as the coarse salt, though. ;)

I like them too! We started using the grinders at home a few months ago, because the sea salt is better for you than regular salt. However, I am not a fan of the coarse salt on certain food items (eggs could be one,) so we found a sea salt in a shaker form, made by Morton. The flavor isn't as good as the coarse salt, though. ;)

How about chocolate with sea salt and lavender? It sounds weird but it was so good. :)

How about chocolate with sea salt and lavender? It sounds weird but it was so good. :)

Do not do anything to ruin perfectly good chocolate, or you will have to answer to me. :mad:

Is that understood, young man?

Do not do anything to ruin perfectly good chocolate, or you will have to answer to me. :mad:

Is that understood, young man?

"Young man'? Madam, why thank you.... ;)

That was not ruined chocolate at all, believe me! There is a little store near us that make their own chocolates and they have some interesting combinations. We just had to try the sea salt and lavender one: the filling was a little crunshy from the salt and had a hint of lavender infused. I was very surprised at how good it was!

If we ever did get to sail together I would even volunteer bring you one to try. :)

Archived