Best cruise

tcocktail

i am thinking about taking a cruise to south america. we love the beach and enjoy sight seeing. we are repeat customers on Celebrity but my feeling is that although we always enjoy them. i think they are slipping so i am open to anyone suggestions.

What time of year is best for going to the beach?

thank you

i am thinking about taking a cruise to south america. we love the beach and enjoy sight seeing. we are repeat customers on Celebrity but my feeling is that although we always enjoy them. i think they are slipping so i am open to anyone suggestions.

What time of year is best for going to the beach?

thank you

The only decent beach on MOST SA cruises is in Vina del Mar/Renaca/ConCon (Valparaiso area) and would be enjoyed pre/post cruise. There are a few cruises that start and end in Rio which has great beaches (and dangerous beaches) and a few more North up the coast of Brazil (Fortaleza probably has the best beaches in Rio).

Seasons are reversed and December, January, and February are summer. Once you get about 300 miles South of Santiago, it will be much too cool/cold to enjoy the beach. One one of my trips around SA (Celebrity Mercury-2002) it SNOWED on the deck as we were rounding Cape Horn. Everyone wrapped up in hats, gloves and heavy coats. Can be VERY cold and windy in Puenta Arenas and for at least one day, you cruise through the Chilean Fjords. At certain points, you are less than 650 miles from Antarctica. DEFINITELY NOT a "beach cruise".

tcocktail,

Look at a map of South America. The Northern countries (Venezuela, Colombia, etc.) are tropical (Tropic of Cancer). It goes down to equatorial areas (Ecuador, Peru, parts of Brazil, etc.). Then more tropical areas (Tropic of Capricorn) in Peru, Brazil, parts of Chile. Then temperate areas (Chile, Argentina) and on to Antarctic areas, like Southern Patagonia. The difference is as great as between Juneau and Miami.

There is no average temperature for South America. Tropical and equatorial areas have two seasons: dry and rainy. Four seasons are present only in temperate areas. Also, along the Western shore, the Andes are a huge factor - how high are you going? Guayaquil and Quito are very different climates because of the elevation even if they are both on the equator.

If you are inetrested in specific countries at different times of the year, do a google search for "world weather" and explore different areas. You'll be able to see average monthly temps and rainfall for different places.

On the standard SA "round the horn" cruise, you'll be in a range of climates and you'll enjoy it more for the sightseeing than for sunning in the beaches. As for the best cruise line, they all cover more or less the same ports, so it depends on your budget and ship size preferences.

M

Wow, I did realize the weather change. I thought it was warmer. So is January the best time to go being that it is in the middle of the summer. What is the average temp?

What cruise line do you like for this trip?

Thank you

Usuahaia and Puenta Arenas-average temperature-highs in the mid to upper 50's, lows in the low 40's

Puuerto Montt-highs in the low 60's, lows in the mid 40's

Santiago/Valparaiso-highs in the low 80's, lows in the low 50's

Buenos Aires-highs in the low 80's, lows in the 60's

It will be warm as you leave Rio, BA or Valparaiso. Then it gets cooler, cooler, cooler until you start back up which ever coast you didn't leave from.

I have been on X 3 times in South America. Around the Horn-Mercury and Infinity. And a repo cruise leaving FLL, going through the Panama Canal and down the West coast of SA to Valparaiso also on Infinity. I personally would stay away from cruises that go to the Falklands. That is one of the most canceled ports due to high winds.

IF you want warmer, the repo cruises stop in warmer places (and are generally pretty darn cheap). No, the repo cruises do not go "around the Horn". But gets you to SA and you could, if you chose, fly to Machu Pichu or go to Buenos Aires/Iguazzu Falls via air. And no, you won't get to see penguins without going to FAR South America. Enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

We are booked on the April 12th, 2009 repositioning cruise out of Santiago to Los Angeles and expect warm temperatures. Price right now is excellent! We have already had discounts worth $500+ pp. Countries visited are Chile (of course), Peru (we are taking the 2 day Machu Picchu tour), Costa Rica and Mexico. Hope you can join us. So far no one has answered my roll call:)

We are booked on the April 12th, 2009 repositioning cruise out of Santiago to Los Angeles and expect warm temperatures. Price right now is excellent! We have already had discounts worth $500+ pp. Countries visited are Chile (of course), Peru (we are taking the 2 day Machu Picchu tour), Costa Rica and Mexico. Hope you can join us. So far no one has answered my roll call:)

Thank you all very much you have given me food for thought. I really would like to go to Uruguay And Argentina. I will need to do some reasearch. If anyone has any information on these two places I would appreciate it.

mattie00 Is this the NCL cruise? Have you sailed with them prior? Can you compare them to other lines?

Hi, yes we have sailed NCL twice before: Wind in Hawaii and Star for Mexican Riviera. We greatly enjoyed both cruises, mainly because we aren't tied to a scheduled time to do anything (except tours). We are so heavily scheduled in our business lives that we just want to do what we want when we want and Norwegian fills the bill. We have not sailed with anyone else, however. Take everything you read with a grain of salt as everyone's expectations are different. I find it extremely helpful to read both good and bad. Perhaps we aren't hard to please but we also aren't going in with 5 star expectations considering the cost of NCL's cruises.:D

Usuahaia and Puenta Arenas-average temperature-highs in the mid to upper 50's, lows in the low 40's

Puuerto Montt-highs in the low 60's, lows in the mid 40's

Santiago/Valparaiso-highs in the low 80's, lows in the low 50's

Buenos Aires-highs in the low 80's, lows in the 60's

It will be warm as you leave Rio, BA or Valparaiso. Then it gets cooler, cooler, cooler until you start back up which ever coast you didn't leave from.

I have been on X 3 times in South America. Around the Horn-Mercury and Infinity. And a repo cruise leaving FLL, going through the Panama Canal and down the West coast of SA to Valparaiso also on Infinity. I personally would stay away from cruises that go to the Falklands. That is one of the most canceled ports due to high winds.

IF you want warmer, the repo cruises stop in warmer places (and are generally pretty darn cheap). No, the repo cruises do not go "around the Horn". But gets you to SA and you could, if you chose, fly to Machu Pichu or go to Buenos Aires/Iguazzu Falls via air. And no, you won't get to see penguins without going to FAR South America. Enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

What are the pro's and cons of repositioning cruise? Would you do it again?

What are the pro's and cons of repositioning cruise? Would you do it again?

Would I do it again??? In a heartbeat if I could get the time away.

Pros: Generally VERY cheap.

Star Princess leaves San Francisco on November 20, 2008-18 days-ends in Valparaiso. About $800pp TOTAL for an inside cabin. That cruise goes down the West Coast of the USA, Mexico and South America. Lots of beach areas and warm weather. The same cruise continues on to Rio and includes the Falklands. You can book 32 days-inside cabin-for a total of about $1600pp TOTAL. THAT's cheap!!!!

Some of the SA repo cruises leave from Florida and go through the Panama Canal (full transit). So if you have never been through the Canal (great experience), you get that experience as an added benefit. Again, beachy stops and warm weather.

And some of the other SA repo cruises go down the East Coast of South America. Again, warm weather and beachy areas. Those cruises usually aren't quite as cheap.

Cons:

On strictly a repo cruise, you do not get to FAR South America. You won't see the penguins, you won't see the Chilean Fjords, you won't see Cape Horn, the furthest South lighthouse in the world, nor see the furthest south point of land (Tierra del Fuego) in the Americas.

A repo cruise is usually an inexpensive way to see ANY area-Europe, Asia, South America or even Alaska/Russia/Asia or Asia/India/MidEast. Two years ago, a repo cruise that left Bangkok, went down through Singapore, stopped in a couple of places in India and through the Suez Canal into the Med was pricing out at about $40.00 per day for an inside. THAT was truly a bargain for a 22 day cruise.

Since you want beachy, warm weather and Buenos Aires, I would take the repo cruise from either Florida or the West Coast, then fly to BA. You could even go to Machu Pichu with all the money you save.

Just curious-why do you want to go to Uruguay???

We did the Infinity out of Valparaiso to FLL. In early April 2008. Water and beaches were deserted and very cool. It is off season there. It would be like an October day in the North. I don't see you spending a lot of time at the beaches anyway. SA beaches from Chile, Ecuador and Peru are very drab. Weather is nice in the 70s. We did sight seeing and had the best time ever. Canal was awesome.

I have to disagree with one poster. IMHO there were many great beaches on our Azamara cruise from BA to Santos last February including Punte del Este, Ilheba and Intajai besides Rio. They may have been referring to a cruise around the cape. January and Feb until mid march has warm weather on the Atlantic coast. On the Pacific, Lima is rarely warm and has alot of fog.

The repo cruises that go down the West Coast hit a couple of places in Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, some go to Nicaragua or Guatemala-all beach areas, all warm. The OP wanted BEACH. Almost 2/3 of the days on a West Coast repo cruise to South America are in BEACH areas.

Any repo cruise will be relatively warm for the entire cruise. Manta, Guayaquil, Lima, Rio all have horrible, dirty beachs. But it is WARM, not like going around the Horn.

greatam

Just curious-why do you want to go to Uruguay??? While I was recuping from being sick I watched Samantha Brown in Latin America. I was very interested in Uruguay's charm and likeness to Europe. In fact that is what exactly brought my interest to South America.

I am becoming very surprised of what you are all writing regarding your trips. The conditions of the beaches, the weather.

So if we do a cruise from BA then we miss the beaches? But if we do a repo cruise we will get some stops with beaches? If we do a repo cruise is it better in the fall or the spring?

Thank you all very much.

greatam

Just curious-why do you want to go to Uruguay??? While I was recuping from being sick I watched Samantha Brown in Latin America. I was very interested in Uruguay's charm and likeness to Europe. In fact that is what exactly brought my interest to South America.

I have no desire to go back to Uruguay. Been there, done that about 3 times. Once on a cruise, once with a business associate and once on a business trip. I am in South America at least 4 times per year during the summer season. I own an international logistics company that is in charge of shipping fruit from Chile and wine from Peru, Chile and Argentina. Uruguay wines are not big sellers in the USA and we have little business from Uruguay.

I am becoming very surprised of what you are all writing regarding your trips. The conditions of the beaches, the weather.

So if we do a cruise from BA then we miss the beaches? But if we do a repo cruise we will get some stops with beaches? If we do a repo cruise is it better in the fall or the spring?

Thank you all very much.

There are some areas in South America that have glorious beaches. BUT they are generally NOT port stops for a cruise ship. From BA around the Horn, you will have very few stops that I would consider "beachy"-Buenos Aires (although there is no beach per se) and Valparaiso (where the cruise ends). And certainly not very beachy weather the further south you go. At one point in a normal around the Horn cruise, you are 600+ miles from Antarctica. NOT warm and usually VERY windy.

If I were to do a repo cruise again, it would be in the fall, especially one going down the West Coast. Hot summer turns into VERY comfortable fall the further south you go on the coast. So the water is still warm.

My repo cruise was from Fll, through the Canal. It had already started to cool off in Florida, so the water was getting cooler. Aruba and Panama were warm and humid. Once you get on the West Coast of South America in Venezuela, Ecuador and Peru, the waters are heavily polluted. No such thing as the EPA controlling dumping or toxics in the water. I spend quite a bit of time in Lima for business. The only people I ever see in the water are teenagers/college kids IN WET SUITS. NOT because of the cold water-because it is gunky looking, nasty water. Chile is MUCH better, but most countries in South America are bordering on third world countries. You are not in Kansas, Toto, and if you are taking a cruise to South America (other than a West Coast repo cruise), decent beaches are few and far between.

Would I do it again??? In a heartbeat if I could get the time away.

Pros: Generally VERY cheap.

Star Princess leaves San Francisco on November 20, 2008-18 days-ends in Valparaiso. About $800pp TOTAL for an inside cabin. That cruise goes down the West Coast of the USA, Mexico and South America. Lots of beach areas and warm weather. The same cruise continues on to Rio and includes the Falklands. You can book 32 days-inside cabin-for a total of about $1600pp TOTAL. THAT's cheap!!!!

Some of the SA repo cruises leave from Florida and go through the Panama Canal (full transit). So if you have never been through the Canal (great experience), you get that experience as an added benefit. Again, beachy stops and warm weather.

And some of the other SA repo cruises go down the East Coast of South America. Again, warm weather and beachy areas. Those cruises usually aren't quite as cheap.

Cons:

On strictly a repo cruise, you do not get to FAR South America. You won't see the penguins, you won't see the Chilean Fjords, you won't see Cape Horn, the furthest South lighthouse in the world, nor see the furthest south point of land (Tierra del Fuego) in the Americas.

A repo cruise is usually an inexpensive way to see ANY area-Europe, Asia, South America or even Alaska/Russia/Asia or Asia/India/MidEast. Two years ago, a repo cruise that left Bangkok, went down through Singapore, stopped in a couple of places in India and through the Suez Canal into the Med was pricing out at about $40.00 per day for an inside. THAT was truly a bargain for a 22 day cruise.

Since you want beachy, warm weather and Buenos Aires, I would take the repo cruise from either Florida or the West Coast, then fly to BA. You could even go to Machu Pichu with all the money you save.

Just curious-why do you want to go to Uruguay???

For some reason the repo cruises that HAL does are their most expensive cruises. I looked at both the Eurodam and Maasdam (in August) and the Maasdam (smaller ship) is about $5,000 and up for an outside for 18 nights. These both are from Europe to the East Coast and I was told they are this way since they sell out. Maybe these aren't true "Repos".

For some reason the repo cruises that HAL does are their most expensive cruises. I looked at both the Eurodam and Maasdam (in August) and the Maasdam (smaller ship) is about $5,000 and up for an outside for 18 nights. These both are from Europe to the East Coast and I was told they are this way since they sell out. Maybe these aren't true "Repos".

Correct-HAL runs quite a few cruises that are actually RT to various places or "open jaw" trips from one continent to another, but then return to a third (Europe to South America to the USA)

I can see HAL repo cruises from California and Florida for a reasonable price. 22 days-inside-base price from California-$1299. From Florida-27 days through the Canal, down the West Coast of SA, then back up the coast to California-base price $1999.00

in order to really "see" or understand what the other posters are saying.

Without the visual aid (the map), it would be difficult for you to understand why if the cruise ends at Buenos Aires, you would miss the beaches - because Rio, is NORTH of Buenos Aires - in fact, at least 2 seadays North. I say this, because I have a feeling that you seem to have very little knowledge of SA and thus unable to "picture" SA in your mind. A map would help you to see this better. BTW, AAA has a world map you can order if you are member, it is not ideal, given it is a World Map, instead of a SA Map, but at least that is a start.

If you are looking for beaches, a SA cruise does NOT fit the bill - a Caribbean cruise or a Mexican Rivera cruise suit you better. A SA cruise is primarily a sight-seeing only cruise, and to satisfy the desires of going to the most Southern tip of the Land Mass, namely the Tip of South America at Tierra del Fuego, and the thrill of "Round the Horn" - Cape of Horn.

You would do much better to get yourself more familiar of the geography of South America, the countries and the points of interests first, BEFORE you would consider what type of cruises (repo, the regular, or the one that goes to Antactica for a few days), and cruiselines. Because then you would at least have an idea on what to look for, and what interests you the most, and then choose your cruise accordingly.

greatam

Thank you all very much.

:) Hi There: Been reading the various answers about your proposed cruise to South America. RCCL's Mariner of the Seas is being moved from Florida (Pt. Canaveral) to California departing Jan. 4th and arriving Feb. 19th. Actually, the ship is too large to transit the Panama Canal - so has to go

around Cape Horn with stops in the Caribbean ( CocoCay, Barbados, St. Kitts, and St. Maartin) then on to Salvador de Bahia and Rio (Brazil)

Montevideo (Uruguay), Buenos Aires (Argentina) Usuhuia (farthest city in

the world) around Cape Horn and the Chilian Fjords) and then on to Valpariso, Chili, some stops in Peru, Costa Rica and then the Mexican coast (Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas) before

ending in Los Angeles.

The cruise consists of 3 separate legs - you can book one or all three - the most

savings would be if you can do the entire 46 days. We are doing the first

two and flying home from Valpariso on Feb. 3rd. If you are seriously considering this trip - and can only do one or two legs - book your return

airfare to the states through RCCL - much, much cheaper airfare.

You will have all temps on this trip from warm to hot/humid to quite cool and/or downright cold. You just have to plan your wardrobe accordingly.

We have a private tour booked in Ushuaia to actually walk among the penquins - so contrary to the other posts - you will see them.

The other great advantage of this itinerary is that the ship does three

overnites - in Rio, Buenos Aires and Valpariso - so we have more time

to explore these great cities.

If you do go and stop in Rio - be VERY CAREFULL - not a very safe city

especially at nite - and NEVER travel alone. I understand the police are

not very efficient or helpful. DO NOT wear jewelry, or have camera equipment in full view - actually dress like the locals.

If this trip "fits the bill" - you will need to apply for a visa for Brazil - which

takes about 1 to 2 weeks providing your passport is up to date. Also, you

will need a Yellow Fever shot for Costa Rica (third leg). Would be a good

idea to update your tetanus and Hepititis A and B, as well.

We sail in just about 6 weeks - so better make up your mind ASAP.

There is a really great thread under the Mariner of the Seas - Around the

Cape - which would give you tons of info and talk to some of the others

who have been booked on this trip since last August, '07. :):)

Based on your requests, this cruise is your ideal pick-the ports are mostly beach towns:

Sat, Feb 28 Buenos Aires,Argentina 9:00 P

2 Sun, Mar 1 Montevideo,Uruguay 10:00 A 7:00 P

3 Mon, Mar 2 Punta del Este,Uruguau 7:00 A 6:00 P

4 Tue, Mar 3 Imbituba,Brazil 11:00 P

5 Wed, Mar 4 Imbituba,Brazil 3:00 A

5 Wed, Mar 4 Porto Belo,Brazil 10:00 A 6:00 P

6 Thu, Mar 5 Ilhabela,Brazil 8:00 A 5:00 P

7 Fri, Mar 6 At Sea

8 Sat, Mar 7 Salvador,Brazil 12:00 P 8:00 P

9 Sun, Mar 8 Ilheus,Brazil 7:00 A 5:00 P

10 Mon, Mar 9 At Sea

11 Tue, Mar 10 Buzios,Brazil 12:00 P 11:00 P

12 Wed, Mar 11 Rio de Janeiro,Brazil 7:00 A

13 Thu, Mar 12 Rio de Janeiro,Brazil 3:00 P

14 Fri, Mar 13 Santos,(Sao Paulo) Brazil

Thank you all for the information. I will look into each and every suggestion. Greatam what do you think of the stops on the Radiance? How does the Radiance compare to Celebrity

Again, thank you all very much.

Tom

Do not know what you are looking for, but since we have been on Radiance and on Celebrity's Summit, I would offer the following as our personal opinions.

I can say Radiance is a much more beautiful ship than Celebrity's Summit (same class ships would be Infinity, Millenium, and Constellation). Radiance has loads of glasses, translates to, you can see thru to outside from all the public areas, vs virtually all the bar and lounges on Summit, the views are blocked by lifeboats - by far the most stupid ship design we see. Radiance also has an 8 deck high Centrium with stunning artwork suspended from the top to midair. Summit's lobby area is a 3 storey high hohum atrium. Cabin-wise, Radiance cabin is better-designed as well. At least you would not find 4 doors all open into a tiny area like Summit (the bathroom, 2 closets and the entry door, all open into a tiny square, so if the closet is opened, the other person cannot pass thru to go to bathroom...) Summit was rather run-down when we sailed her 2 years ago. Most funitures in the lounges can use re-upholstering - most piping were worn, ditto for the seats and armpads. Infinity is a year younder than Summit, followed by Constellation. Millenium is the oldest of this class.

However, if you are thinking about Celebrity's Solstice - then it is their brandnew ship. Century and Galaxy are old ships, older than the Millie class.

Foodwise, I forgot about what the quality was on Radiance, except the choco desserts were to die for. We did a 14 day Panama crossing on Summit and absolutely hate the foods in dining room - almost no seafoods, mostly meats, but the problem was the dishes, especially the soups, were extremely salty. Not only they were too salty to kill the taste, but they were unhealthy to the body, especially to persons have highblood pressure. We overheard people complained to the Headwaiters about how the foods were too salty for the health reason. Desserts on Summit were very good, particularly the variety of cheesecakes. But no souflee was ever offered on the whole 14 days. However, Summit has Aqua Spa which offers cold, but tasty healthy foods for lunch. It also has a Sushi bar which offers real sushi.

Do not know what you are looking for, but since we have been on Radiance and on Celebrity's Summit, I would offer the following as our personal opinions.

I can say Radiance is a much more beautiful ship than Celebrity's Summit (same class ships would be Infinity, Millenium, and Constellation). Radiance has loads of glasses, translates to, you can see thru to outside from all the public areas, vs virtually all the bar and lounges on Summit, the views are blocked by lifeboats - by far the most stupid ship design we see. Radiance also has an 8 deck high Centrium with stunning artwork suspended from the top to midair. Summit's lobby area is a 3 storey high hohum atrium. Cabin-wise, Radiance cabin is better-designed as well. At least you would not find 4 doors all open into a tiny area like Summit (the bathroom, 2 closets and the entry door, all open into a tiny square, so if the closet is opened, the other person cannot pass thru to go to bathroom...) Summit was rather run-down when we sailed her 2 years ago. Most funitures in the lounges can use re-upholstering - most piping were worn, ditto for the seats and armpads. Infinity is a year younder than Summit, followed by Constellation. Millenium is the oldest of this class.

However, if you are thinking about Celebrity's Solstice - then it is their brandnew ship. Century and Galaxy are old ships, older than the Millie class.

Foodwise, I forgot about what the quality was on Radiance, except the choco desserts were to die for. We did a 14 day Panama crossing on Summit and absolutely hate the foods in dining room - almost no seafoods, mostly meats, but the problem was the dishes, especially the soups, were extremely salty. Not only they were too salty to kill the taste, but they were unhealthy to the body, especially to persons have highblood pressure. We overheard people complained to the Headwaiters about how the foods were too salty for the health reason. Desserts on Summit were very good, particularly the variety of cheesecakes. But no souflee was ever offered on the whole 14 days. However, Summit has Aqua Spa which offers cold, but tasty healthy foods for lunch. It also has a Sushi bar which offers real sushi.

I have been on the Summit and the service was first class , however the food was NOT up to the standard that I had been accustomed to on Celebrity. In fact we were on the Galaxy in May and talk about the salt. OmG, my Mother and our friend both had swollen feet it wasn't until we got home that we figured ouot it was the large amount of salt in the foot. What is Celebrity doing. Besides that I was the winner of a hair in my dessert. I like the service in the dinning room the relax multpile courses for dinner but the quality has been terrible. I was hoping that maybe the 5 star Royal Caribbean ships wouldbe the same as Celebrity.

Thank you for your input.

Archived