Live from the Maasdam - Nov 7 to 21, 2008 - Southern Caribbean

GmaPajama

GMAPajama, I didn't realize that they serve breakfast in the Pinnacle. What are the hours and how much do they charge?

Breakfast in the Pinnacle is a perk for suite guests (PH, SA, SB, SC); it's included in their fare.

The menu is the same as the dining room.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Guadeloupe

I guess I don’t have much nice to say about Guadeloupe. The waterfront is the most depressed, and depressing, we’ve seen so far. There’s a straw market just steps from the ship - but prices were so high that we passed everything by. Like, t-shirts for $30. There were a lot of spice vendors - but we decided we had no idea what might be mixed in with the open bags of spices, so passed on that too. A few people from the ship started out hiking to town, but turned back after just a block or two. They said the streets were covered in garbage. One of our CC couples took a tour to a distillery and a banana plantation. Both were closed because it’s a Sunday. The gift shop at the distillery was open, so they could get a little closer - but they could only look at the banana plantation from the road. They said the garbage in the roads goes at least as far as they did.. We did pass a nice marina and some resorts on our way out, but as far as I could see that’s the only nice area on the island. I would not look forward to this port on a future cruise.

This is formal night number three, so after tonight there will be just one left. Then the tux and gowns go back into storage till the next cruise. I think I forgot to report that we saw more tuxes on the second formal night than we did on the first. Also, we noticed that second dinner seating had a larger percentage of tuxes.

Game shows have been a lot of fun to watch this cruise. Cruise Director Savannah has a unique sense of humor and makes everything incredibly funny. We’re not usually much interested in the game shows - but hers are really fun. And, of course, we have Ccer’s Zak and Laura (Vols4Cruising) who keep on winning them. They are certainly good sports!

We were on this cruise 2 weeks ago and the captain made an announcement not to throw things overboard.

Also in the daily schedule there was a notice advising people this would happen and not to throw anything overboard.

We were told by crew that several locals have died doing this!

I know -- it is sad that some people just think of what could happen.

Guadeloupe

I guess I don’t have much nice to say about Guadeloupe. The waterfront is the most depressed, and depressing, we’ve seen so far. There’s a straw market just steps from the ship - but prices were so high that we passed everything by. Like, t-shirts for $30. There were a lot of spice vendors - but we decided we had no idea what might be mixed in with the open bags of spices, so passed on that too. A few people from the ship started out hiking to town, but turned back after just a block or two. They said the streets were covered in garbage. One of our CC couples took a tour to a distillery and a banana plantation. Both were closed because it’s a Sunday. The gift shop at the distillery was open, so they could get a little closer - but they could only look at the banana plantation from the road. They said the garbage in the roads goes at least as far as they did.. We did pass a nice marina and some resorts on our way out, but as far as I could see that’s the only nice area on the island. I would not look forward to this port on a future cruise.

So sad you missed the beauty of this island.

Have to say the worst part of the island is near the ship.

We toured Basse-terre 2 weeks ago with a rental car and found this part of the island to be very beautiful and relatively clean with amazing rainforests and quaint villages. The island is actually more modern than most of the other ports we visited. We drove into an industrial area to collect our car and it was like any you would find in France. The roads are also some of the best condition we encounted in the Caribbean. You need to get away from the port. It is true not much is open because it is a Sunday but if you plan the day you can use the time to see beaches, coffee plantations and the rainforest. The problem is HAL does not provide any information about the island, only 1 tour and there is little info online.

So sad you missed the beauty of this island.

Have to say the worst part of the island is near the ship.

We toured Basse-terre 2 weeks ago with a rental car and found this part of the island to be very beautiful and relatively clean with amazing rainforests and quaint villages. The island is actually more modern than most of the other ports we visited. We drove into an industrial area to collect our car and it was like any you would find in France. The roads are also some of the best condition we encounted in the Caribbean. You need to get away from the port. It is true not much is open because it is a Sunday but if you plan the day you can use the time to see beaches, coffee plantations and the rainforest. The problem is HAL does not provide any information about the island, only 1 tour and there is little info online.

We toured Guadeloupe a few years ago and like you say, the island is lovely outside of the city. We actually did the banana plantation and distillery tour and was happy with it. We had a nice young girl as our guide. But the city of Point - a - Pitre is a disappointment. (I think you meant this rather than Basseterre - that town is on the island of St. Kitts.) We did not see garbage like what is meantioned, however, the town was dirty and felt unsafe and people were rude. I think we might skip touring this island also unless we decide to hire a guide to take us out into the country with another couple or two. It is lovely out in the mountains in the rainforests.

We toured Guadeloupe a few years ago and like you say, the island is lovely outside of the city. We actually did the banana plantation and distillery tour and was happy with it. We had a nice young girl as our guide. But the city of Point - a - Pitre is a disappointment. (I think you meant this rather than Basseterre - that town is on the island of St. Kitts.) We did not see garbage like what is meantioned, however, the town was dirty and felt unsafe and people were rude. I think we might skip touring this island also unless we decide to hire a guide to take us out into the country with another couple or two. It is lovely out in the mountains in the rainforests.

Basse-Terre is actually one of the 2 islands that make up Guadeloupe.

I think another issue is language. I speak French and that really helped. The people seemed to be more pleasant when you were speaking their language. This is a similar situation to France, where I lived for a while. You got a warmer response when you spoke French than English.

November 17, 2008

St. Maarten

We had an early tour today, so had room service breakfast again. As before, it arrived exactly on time and the food was hot. Even the toast was hot enough to melt the butter - I don’t know how they manage that, but it’s great.

Our tour was called “Natural Wonders of St. Maarten” and began at 8:15 am. It was an interesting bus trip aroun the entire island, and included several stops, one of which was at a small zoo. We could actually see St. Kitts from the top of one of the mountains. The tour was just over 3 hours and we felt it was time well spent. The color of the water here is amazing. That perfect color of blue found only in the Caribbean. They are building a new pier - big enough to accomodate the new ships of 5,000-plus passengers. We’ve been watching the progress from our balcony - the only change during the past 6 hours seems to be where the workers are standing with their hands on their hips. Just like road construction at home.

St. Maarten was busy today, with 3 ships in port. We were joined by Royal Caribbean’s Serenade of the Seas and P&O’s Ventura. Gosh, those are big ships! Too big for us.

We did the daily quiz again - we usually win that several times, but haven’t won at all yet on this trip. Maybe today will be the day. We have won Team Trivia a couple of times, once with Ccer’s Don and Ronnie, and once with just the two of us. We received our invitation to Cruisin'Lady (Joyce and John)’s Anniversary Party on Wednesday. It will be fun to gather as a whole group again to help celebrate their 25th.

I have never gained weight on a cruise, but I gotta tell ya ... the pants I just put on for dinner are pretty snug around the waist. Maybe the ship’s laundry shrunk them. One can hope. :)

Basse-Terre is actually one of the 2 islands that make up Guadeloupe.

I think another issue is language. I speak French and that really helped. The people seemed to be more pleasant when you were speaking their language. This is a similar situation to France, where I lived for a while. You got a warmer response when you spoke French than English.

Oops, sorry I misunderstood the reference to Basseterre.

Yes, it is rather similar here in Canada in the province of Quebec with regard to speaking French rather than English.

It was my understanding the Pinnacle was the specialty restaurant yet you said you went there for breakfast. I am confused.

How would you class the food in the dining room vs the specialty restaurant. Now that the fee is going up to $25 - it seems a bit too much. When we go in May with our friends - $100 for the four of us seems way out of line.

When I was on Azamara in September the specialty restaurant was only $10 - that I felt was worthwhile.

Reading that meatloaf was a food option makes me wonder just how decent the meals are in the dining room. I would have expected better.

Thank you for taking the time out to tell us about your cruise it has been enjoyable reading.

Forgot to ask how much the packages were for internet time.

Dianne

Royal Caribbean charges $25 pp to eat in their specialty restaurants (Chops and Portofino) so it looks like HAL is simply following suit.

Gma mentioned that the meatloaf was being served as a "comfort" food. There were probably several other more exotic choices on the menu but she was ready for traditional American cooking. The longer cruises that I have been on usually offer a "comfort" food dinner choice once or twice a week (like meatloaf, turkey breast, spaghetti, etc.) to give diners a familiar food choice. I don't think it's means the food quality is questionable. I don't dine on the food choices usually offered in the dining room on a regular basis. It's good but every now and then I want something familiar when away from home. Being from Texas, I like tacos and cheese enchiladas or gumbo and creole but that isn't traditional fare.

It was my understanding the Pinnacle was the specialty restaurant yet you said you went there for breakfast. I am confused.

Guests staying in SA, SB, SC and PH suites can have breakfast in the Pinncale Grill. It is the same menu as in the main DR.

Ken

Forgot to ask how much the packages were for internet time.

There's a $3.95 fee to set up an Internet account. After that, there's a choice of payment plans:

You can pay a flat rate of $0.75 per minute or purchase a package plan of

100 minutes for $55 or

250 minutes for $100.

The first package has a bonus of 10 minutes, and the longer package has a bonus of 20 minutes if you purchase on the first day. On my last cruise there were additional bonus minutes for renewing a plan.

On the last day there is usually a choice of two small packages (15 minutes, or so).

We were on this cruise 2 weeks ago and the captain made an announcement not to throw things overboard.

Also in the daily schedule there was a notice advising people this would happen and not to throw anything overboard.

We were told by crew that several locals have died doing this!

I'm like Deep68, it was posted in the daily paper and there was two small boats that came up to the ship. I was standing above where the tender would return and I guess that the HAL crew members in this area must told the young guys in the boat to leave the area. About three minutes after a second boat of young boys arrived, a port police boat arrived and the young men left the Maasdam. I didn't see anyone toss anything over the railing. I know one man was about to and the couple next to him told him what the daily paper had stated about this.

I know in April 2007 when we made the tender stop, we this encounter anyone coming out.

Guadeloupe

This is formal night number three, so after tonight there will be just one left. Then the tux and gowns go back into storage till the next cruise. I think I forgot to report that we saw more tuxes on the second formal night than we did on the first. Also, we noticed that second dinner seating had a larger percentage of tuxes.

Game shows have been a lot of fun to watch this cruise. Cruise Director Savannah has a unique sense of humor and makes everything incredibly funny. We’re not usually much interested in the game shows - but hers are really fun. And, of course, we have Ccer’s Zak and Laura (Vols4Cruising) who keep on winning them. They are certainly good sports!

I can say that once you got out of the city area in Guadeloupe, it was wonderful!! I did a tour with shoretrips and went on a full 6 hour tour with lunch at a woman home in Deshaies that was the highlight of the tour. We took a small road to head to a sugar plantation where we chopped sugar cane to enjoy the juice. We also stopped to pick fresh fruit. I went to wonderful beach near Sainte-Rose that you could only reach by driving through a pasture (we had to watch out for the cows :D). We also went to a small waterfall that local families were enjoying. I can say that in these areas that I and the five other tourists (they were a family from France) were the only non locals there. I had a wonderful driver/tour guide that translated for me. I can only speak very limited French, but manage with my guide and my efforts.

I will say that HAL and the Guadeloupe tourist board need to do a better job in promoting this island. It's a true gem and I will admit that it's one of the reasons that I'm looking to do this cruise again in 2010.

November 18, 2008

Tortola

Yet another beautiful island. These places sure make flat, boring, cold Chicago look bad. Though, that’s where our kids and our puppy are - so that’s where our hearts are. We’ve heard a couple of people say two weeks is too long for them, and they’re going to stick to the 7 and 10 day cruises. We prefer to book the longer ones. Guess that’s why there are so many choices. Something for everybody.

Tonight was the Suite Dinner. It was entirely Indonesian, in the Half Moon Room. Soup and dessert were served to us, the remainder was buffet style - but a dining steward walked with each of us to explain all the dishes and carry our plates to the tables. A ship’s officer sat at most every table, and it was a delightful dinner. I hope they continue to do this. I thought you’d enjoy a look at the menu:

GADO - GADO

Assorted blanched vegetables with peanut sauce

SOTO AYAM “MADURA”

Madura chicken soup with fresh vegetables and shredded coconut

NASI GORENG

Fried rice

PISANG GORENG

Fried banana

SATE

Marinated beef from the barbeque with peanut sauce

GORENG UDANG

Shrimp in butter

AYAM GORENG

In ketiap marinated and baked chicken

KRUPUK UDANG

Shrimp cracker

BABI KECAP

Pork marinated in soy and ginger sauce

SARUNDENG

Peanuts and roasted coconut

SAMBAL GORENG BUNCIS

Green beans flavored with sambal

ACAR

Sweet and sour vegetables

PUDENG NASI SOAS

Rice pudding with brown sugar sauce

KOPI

Coffee, Tea

We were surprised to see the Pinnacle Grill manager and chef come to our door to go over the menu selections for our cabana at Half Moon Cay. This has been done by telephone on our other cruises, and in person was a nice touch. We’ve been trying to put our finger on exactly what it is that’s made this cruise seem so special - and have decided it’s the crew adding just a bit more elegance. Not one particular thing, but an accumulation of extra touches. We are saddened to know it’s almost over.

Oh Donna........ YES, you understand. :)

It is the crew that makes a Maasdam cruise so very special.

It is those things like Chef coming to speak with you in person rather than by phone; it is the steward who walks with you at the Suite Dinner Buffet to explain the dishes. HAL crew does those special things that make you feel pampered and special and to show you they want you to enjoy your cruise to the max.

All HAL crews are outstanding and we have never met a HAL crew we weren't impressed with but Maasdam's is a very special crew. (Of course, we sail Maasdam so much we know her crew better than on other ships.)

Archived