Delaying - Final Payment

Bustaty

I am curious to see if anyone has heard of this or done this.

Our final payment is due in about a week. With our dollar (Canadian) taking a big down turn in last while, we are sorry we did not pay off our final payment.

Here is scenario, our daughter called NCL and asked them what happens if we miss our final payment date. According to the person she spoke with, usually they will send another reminder letter, with another date. I have never tested the waters and not sure I want to, but has anyone?

It's not worth losing our cabin over, we were just trying to see if you could get a better exchange rate by waiting.

Advice please.

Somehow, I don't think you are going to get a better exchange rate in the next few weeks. You could be causing yourself a lot of trouble by not paying the balance. Even though you were told by customer service nothing would happen, the ship has the right to cancel your cruise.

I don't know how much more you are talking about, but if the cruise is important to you, I'd suggest you pay on time. JMO.

Bustaty, fellow Canadian, we bit the bullet and paid last week. Like you we'd foolishly booked in American dollars when our dollars were at par. I've read recent predictions that our dollar should settle at $0.85 U.S., but then this was probably made by the same person who said this summer that it would be at $1.15 by the new year.

At least we'd bought US Travellers' Cheques which we'll use to settle our on board accounts.

Our trip includes Europe and we're doing a bit better against the Euro of late.

I bought a bulk amount of USD at 1.157 this week - IMO that would have been a great day to make the payment - but if you use a credit card it's hard to say when that co will put it through and at what rate

Currency exchange is a game at best

There's a chance it'll lower as much as 1.15 again - but then who knows?

From time to time I've paid a couple of days or up to a week late - never had a problem - but I would hate to give you bad advice

Hopefully by paying in USD and using a TA you got such a huge discount on the originally booking that what you lose in currency exchange isn't that big of a deal

Good luck

jc

toronto

POA Dec 27th

Give NCL a call and see if they'll negotiate a different date and/or accept partial payment. At worse, they'll say no; at best they'll work with you as they won't want to lose the booking. Whatever you decide and whatever they agree to, get it in writing. Also, keep in mind that you could forfit your deposit if you don't make or delay making your final payment.

Our final payment is due in about a week. With our dollar (Canadian) taking a big down turn in last while, we are sorry we did not pay off our final payment.

Here is scenario, our daughter called NCL and asked them what happens if we miss our final payment date. According to the person she spoke with, usually they will send another reminder letter, with another date. I have never tested the waters and not sure I want to, but has anyone?

It's not worth losing our cabin over, we were just trying to see if you could get a better exchange rate by waiting.

Advice please.

Don't push it. I have seen reservations cancelled in just a few hours without final payment. What your daughter was told, normally is the case, you are given a very short grace period, still it isn't worth the gamble..

Nita

Advice please.

How much money could really be at stake here? It would be atypical for exchange rates to have huge fluctuations (but, granted, the stock market has proven to have HUGE fluctuations as of late)...they are normally gradual and daily impacts are fractions of a percent. Unless you're contemplating on making your payment VERY late...more than a day or two...but WHY risk it? Over $50?

The rates vary but from when we first booked until our last payment there's about a 20% difference. Now we're steerage passengers so the difference wouldn't be as great as for someone in a suite, but then relative incomes could make the sum just as great a shock to the budget.

We certainly weren't willing to gamble on our perfect windon steerage cabin.

The rates vary but from when we first booked until our last payment there's about a 20% difference. Now we're steerage passengers so the difference wouldn't be as great as for someone in a suite, but then relative incomes could make the sum just as great a shock to the budget.

We certainly weren't willing to gamble on our perfect windon steerage cabin.

Maybe I misunderstood...I was under the impression that the OP was contemplating over a matter of days as to when they should make their final payment...perhaps after the due date. From what you've stated, perhaps, it was from time of booking until final payment is due that the fluctuation occurred. 20% is a lot...I guess it's just a gamble with exchange rates. You had to realize that the Canadian dollar was doing exceptionally well at the time you initially booked...so you could have elected to pay in full at time of booking, right?

We took a land based vacation in Brussels and Amsterdam two years ago...our hotel was around 300Euros a night which was around $450/night...add in food, taxis, entertainment and it was a pretty costly trip. The dollar was weak. That's one of the main reasons that we took a cruise while in Europe last year. More bang for the buck.

Advice please.

What if the exchange gets worse during that time?

Archived