Just a question...not trying ot cause trouble...

abitaturbodog

I've been wondering why the CC Group cruises have their threads on the main Carnival page and they haven't been moved to the Roll Call page. Mach, can you explain this one?

That is one of the perks of booking a CC group cruise .. the threads are allowed to be on the main Carnival board;)

Ah, that's what I suspected. With the economy being what it is, the reduced deposit is very tempting. I'll have to look more carefully at the group cruises that are being offered.

Thanks for the info..

I have one going on the Triumph 1/9/2010 that only has a $25 pp deposit until 11/24! Come join me!

I don't have the cruisecritic webpage or message board up yet, but it IS official. Click on the link in my sig for more info.

I've thought about booking on to a group cruise. What other advantages are there?Can you still get a past guest rate?Sorry never done one before I'm a FNG to those things

I don't think you can combine the group rate with any other special rates, but you often get cabin credit. In addition to that, based on the number of cabins booked with the group, you can "earn" additional perks, like cocktail party, photo credits, choc covered strawberries, or more cabin credit.

On top of that, you get to meet face to face with all the people you have been chatting with here (if you want -- you can also remain anonymous!).

Group cruises also plan events together you could choose to join in on.

I've been wondering why the CC Group cruises have their threads on the main Carnival page and they haven't been moved to the Roll Call page. Mach, can you explain this one?

Yeah... this is one of those 'beating a dead horse' thingies...

Cruise Critic group cruises get to keep their roll calls on the main forum for several reasons. They promote Cruise Critic as they tend to increase participation and having them on the main forum keeps them visible.

They do provide some modest revenue to help fund these boards, as well. That's really only true of the larger cruises. The ones with perhaps 20, 30 or 40 folks don't make any money for CC.

These boards are a HUGE undertaking requiring constant attention and a great deal of money.

Now, having said all that I hope this issue quietly goes away. Nearly ever time this is discussed people get irate, start hurling insults and the thread gets deleted.

Mach

I've thought about booking on to a group cruise. What other advantages are there?Can you still get a past guest rate?Sorry never done one before I'm a FNG to those things

Perks... hummm... perks vary by ship and cruise line. As an example, only Carnival allows a reduced deposit. No other line does that.

Typically, the rates are quite a bit better than what's commonly published. There will typically be some amount of OBC and perhaps a bottle of 'champagne' tossed in. Occasionally, a free cocktail party, depending on the 'points' that the cruise earns.

The biggest attraction, for me at least, is the people. My Crazies cruise is populated by a phenomenal group of folks. We literally have come to share our lives with each other. We experienced births, divorces, weddings and deaths... all as a group.

I've made many, many friends in this group who I will know 'til the day I die and we have yet to set foot on our ship.

It may sound like I'm promoting my cruise but I'm not. Our sailing for NEXT SEPTEMBER has been sold out, completely, for nearly two weeks now.

Cruise Critic group cruises get to keep their roll calls on the main forum for several reasons. They promote Cruise Critic as they tend to increase participation and having them on the main forum keeps them visible.

They do provide some modest revenue to help fund these boards, as well. That's really only true of the larger cruises. The ones with perhaps 20, 30 or 40 folks don't make any money for CC.

These boards are a HUGE undertaking requiring constant attention and a great deal of money.

Now, having said all that I hope this issue quietly goes away. Nearly ever time this is discussed people get irate, start hurling insults and the thread gets deleted.

Mach

Mach I don't understand how some one could throw insults and and get irate at you. You are doing all of us" addicts" a great service by keeping the peace,coacing us when needed and helping out when asked too.Maybe some need a lesson in CC manners eh?

I am very grateful for you in put on these threads. I would love to experieince a group cruise even just once to say I did it. We are gathering a great group of people on our roll call and may have a group cruise in mind for next year( If the DH doesn't get deployed to Afghanistan).

Thanks for everything Mach..I appreciated it.

Karen from Canada

But what I need to know is do I want to be a ...

Crazy?

saint? or sinner?

looter?

Tanked?

What's the difference?

:)

I don't know the difference, but I personally think you should become a Crazy!:D Although, now that I think about it, I think the cruise is sold out...

But what I need to know is do I want to be a ...

Crazy?

saint? or sinner?

looter?

Tanked?

What's the difference?

:)

I can say that I have met a few of the Saints and Sinners and I would love to do a group cruise with them. They are a great bunch of people. It just seems that the timing of their trips, the port of embarkation, or price doesn't work for me.

Ya and what are the price differences between past guest and group rates?Just curious..

I'd take the Tanked!!!!!Whooo ahhh!!!

Well, right now my group is about $80-90 p/p less if you book with the group than if you were to book the same cabin category on your own. That's quite a savings! And besides that, if you book with my group, you are automatically bumped up to a B in any category. If you book a guarantee, you start at the bottom of the category.

Let's get Tanked!

Mach

This was never my intention. I was just curious and have never seen any other threads about this in my few years on CC.

I'm all for increased revenue for CC! I'd be lost without this site. No, really...I'd be LOST!!!

I can say that I have met a few of the Saints and Sinners and I would love to do a group cruise with them. They are a great bunch of people. It just seems that the timing of their trips, the port of embarkation, or price doesn't work for me.

Well, right now my group is about $80-90 p/p less if you book with the group than if you were to book the same cabin category on your own. That's quite a savings! And besides that, if you book with my group, you are automatically bumped up to a B in any category. If you book a guarantee, you start at the bottom of the category.

Let's get Tanked!

never flown to New Orleans is it hard to get there from the great white north?We are just above N.D. closest airport is 2 hours drive East of here.Any info?

My opinion...and I stress MY opinion...the CC sponsored cruise threads could have their own section here in the Carnival area, similar to that given to Oasis in the RCI area.

That way everyone can find them if need be and thus not clutter the rest of the Carnival board up.

JMO.

never flown to New Orleans is it hard to get there from the great white north?We are just above N.D. closest airport is 2 hours drive East of here.Any info?

Is Bismarck your closest city? I just did a quick search of flights and found some for about $300 pp, but I couldn't search for jan 2010 on the site I used. I'm not too good at searching for flights -- the last time I flew was in 1999. :o

getting from airport to French Quarter/Central Business District/Port:

It looks like New Orleans in only about 15 miles from MSY airport.

Taxicabs: A cab ride costs $28.00 from the airport to the Central Business District (CBD) for one or two persons and $12.00 (per passenger) for three or more passengers. Pick-up is on the lower level, outside the baggage claim area. There may be an additional charge for extra baggage. $1 fuel surcharge added to total fare.

Airport Shuttle: Shuttle service is available from the airport to the hotels in the CBD for $15.00 (per person, one-way) or $30.00 (per person, round-trip). Three bags per person. Call 1-866-596-2699 or (504) 522-3500 for more details or to make a reservation. Advance reservations are required 48 hours prior to travel for all ADA accessible transfers. Please call well enough in advance for the specially-equipped shuttle to be reserved. For group reservations of 10 or more people please dial 1-866-596-2699. Ticket booths are located on the lower level in the baggage claim area.

If you book with a group cruise and the prices go down over time, do the members receive a price reduction or OBC?

That's another great mystery, just like the upgrade fairy and OBC for regular bookings if the price go down. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Best advice would be to book at a price you think is reasonable and just consider it a bonus if you do get OBC down the road!

Good advice! No matter how good a deal I think the cruise is when I book it (I wouldn't have booked if I wasn't happy with the price), when the price goes down I still WANT the lower price. I have to keep reminding myself that it was a good deal when I booked.

I'll be checking out your group cruise after I post this.

Thanks!

ShipAddict--

I tried to send you an email from your group cruise website but it was rejected for "bad address". You may want to check this out.

Anyway, I didn't realize it was going out of NOLA. We're near Hilton Head, SC and the Florida ports are more "driveable" for our family.

Thanks for the info...and HAVE FUN!

ShipAddict--

I tried to send you an email from your group cruise website but it was rejected for "bad address". You may want to check this out.

Anyway, I didn't realize it was going out of NOLA. We're near Hilton Head, SC and the Florida ports are more "driveable" for our family.

Thanks for the info...and HAVE FUN!

Thanks I fixed it.

Sorry NOLA won't work for you. Just FYI -- I did a quick googlemaps comparison, and it was 10.5 hours to NOLA and 9.75 to Miami. You didn't which Florida port you were looking at, so I just picked the farthest one for comparison. But anyway, looks like the driving distance would be pretty similar!

Archived