Cape Liberty Bayonne Cruise Port Question.

Hello Everyone,

I need someone who works at Cape Liberty Cruise Port terminal. Today, I took a ride down to Cape Liberty Cruise Port this morning and noticed the Explorer Of The Seas was docked further down as usual. I am wondering why? Also, I am wondering if this a perminant arrangement? The reason I am concerned is because I am booking a cruise this week for June and if this a perminant arrangement of the explorer, I can take pictures of it before boarding or in the morning. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Smith

You are not allowed to take pictures of it at the dock area no matter where it is docked for security reasons. Why is this a big deal? Is it going to stop you from booking it? The picture taking is a US port issue and you can take all the pictures you want from the other ports you stop at.

Can you clarify "further down as usual"? Is it docked closer to land than usual or closer to the end of the pier (by the memorial)?

Sue L... is this something new? I only ask because I have never been stopped from taking pictures of the docked ships at any port. I was just in Boston several weeks ago and had free access (obviously not to secure areas) I got pictures of every inch of the docking area. No one gave me a second glance. Also, when we boarded Explorer in Bayonne, I had my camera clicking away the whole time from when we left the terminal building to when we boarded the ship. I just can't figure out why they would care about people taking pictures in this day of the telephoto lens and satellite imagery when you can capture a clear image from any distance. There is no real way to stop picture taking today.

It was further down, away from the memorial last time I was on it . If you stepped straight out of the terminal to the buses out back then it was quite a distance to the left. I took a step outside of the terminal and started to take pictures and the guard came running, yelling at me and explained the rules. He said it was nationwide but who knows and they might have changed it since then.

Getting on our Sovereign cruise last year, there was someone videotaping as we were walking through the area from the waiting area to the ship. Security came and asked him to stop taping and asked him to erase the video. I thought it was because it was video and we were about to go through a security point, but maybe not.

I would think if photography was not allowed, they would have signs.

It was further down, away from the memorial last time I was on it . If you stepped straight out of the terminal to the buses out back then it was quite a distance to the left. I took a step outside of the terminal and started to take pictures and the guard came running, yelling at me and explained the rules. He said it was nationwide but who knows and they might have changed it since then.

happened to me too....the guy wasn't nasty at least...but he said "miss, for security reasons you may not take photos, please go back inside"

(now i did get on of the gangway while in line to board, but i couldn't go out the door of the terminal though!)

Hello - just got off Explorer today and we docked at a different pier from where we left out of - not sure why. There was a bit of a problem when we left getting everyone on board, there was an hour and a half wait to get from the turnpike exit to the terminal. I believe this was due to the ship getting in an hour late and some sort of computer problems (never got a straight answer) So you had an overlap of people getting off and on the ship - made for a bit of a mess. Perhaps the dock change is a way to aleviate the traffic problem?

This is the new docking location for the ship, you still take the bus to the ship. The ship now docks at pier #1 right next to the Bayyone dry dock

Is this the pier directly in front of the 9-11 memorial (the one closest to the harbor) at the end of the peninsula? In the picture below you see Explorer in the back... is the new dock the one in the front?

2959815940099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

Hello - just got off Explorer today and we docked at a different pier from where we left out of - not sure why. There was a bit of a problem when we left getting everyone on board, there was an hour and a half wait to get from the turnpike exit to the terminal. I believe this was due to the ship getting in an hour late and some sort of computer problems (never got a straight answer) So you had an overlap of people getting off and on the ship - made for a bit of a mess. Perhaps the dock change is a way to aleviate the traffic problem?

I just got off the ship today. I didn’t think it was late arriving. I was told the delay was due to a small amount of immigration officers working on a Sunday. I'm sure if you ask immigration, they will say it was the RCCL's fault.

Here is a tip if you park at the pier - have the porter bring the luggage to your car upon your return and NOT to the limo/bus pickup location. My porter said they can’t go to the cars and I believed him after handing him $20.00. I then paid another porter $20.00 to bring my luggage to my car so I didn’t have to get caught in the traffic you described.

Is this the pier directly in front of the 9-11 memorial (the one closest to the harbor) at the end of the peninsula? In the picture below you see Explorer in the back... is the new dock the one in the front?

When we left last weekend, Explorer was the back ship in the picture (we were on our balcony watching the containers being lifted), and when we docked today, we docked in the forward position. Wonder why? Guess it has nothing to do with traffic:o

I just got off the ship today. I didn’t think it was late arriving. I was told the delay was due to a small amount of immigration officers working on a Sunday. I'm sure if you ask immigration, they will say it was the RCCL's fault.

Here is a tip if you park at the pier - have the porter bring the luggage to your car upon your return and NOT to the limo/bus pickup location. My porter said they can’t go to the cars and I believed him after handing him $20.00. I then paid another porter $20.00 to bring my luggage to my car so I didn’t have to get caught in the traffic you described.

Hi, hope you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did. It was a shame about Labadee, but it was good weather for a sea day. We had no problem getting off the ship today, sorry, I wasn't clear, I was referring to boarding last Saturday - I guess you were early enough to miss the line of cars getting to the pier. Thanks for the tip about the porters - didn't know they'd bring the luggage to the car!:)

This is indeed good news! What a great spot to dock the ship. They are really cleaning up the peninsula and now they put the dock alongside the 9/11 memorial. Great move! It is walking distance from the terminal building (I walked to the memorial the last time I was there) but my guess is they will still make you bus over for safety and logistical reasons.

Here is the dock and the memorial...

2936449780099099348S600x600Q85.jpg

2046913120033153609S600x600Q85.jpg

2140817260048331762S600x600Q85.jpg

The Explorer will normally dock where it did today. It is new. We tested it out 2 weeks ago. It is to the right of the building exit instead of to the left. Looks much closer than the other dock. Maybe walking distance.

New_Bayone_Dock.jpg

2959815940099108734S600x600Q85.jpg

When was this picture taken? What ship is that on the new pier?

I'm guessing this was taken in 2005. The ship you see in front is Enchantment of the Seas which cruised from Bayonne that summer after she was stretched (you can tell it's Enchantment by the wings/bridges over the pool deck area).

I'm guessing this was taken in 2005. The ship you see in front is Enchantment of the Seas which cruised from Bayonne that summer after she was stretched (you can tell it's Enchantment by the wings/bridges over the pool deck area).

We were on Enchantment for it's first cruise after the stretch. It was a four night cruise Bayonne to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

This is good news for watching the ship debark. The 9-11 memorial is open to the public, and I have been there many times.

I've taken many pictures also. They're not going to stop me from taking pictures at the memorial, are they?

There has been much talk about a "New Pier" at Bayonne, and I was confused because I never saw a new pier being constructed. Now I understand.

Actually, it is not a new pier. Same pier that has been there, just a new "Berth"

Great thread! I didn't know about the 9/11 Memorial here. Thanks for the link to the brochure.

May I please interject a question while we are discussing Bayonne? Can you see the Statue of Liberty while sailing into and out of Cape Liberty?

If we get to see the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty, what a bonus for sailing out of Bayonne!

Yes, while we were still docked, looking out at NYC from our port balcony we had a view of the Statue of Liberty. Ferries run from Liberty State Park to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island if you wanted to plan a visit.

Archived