Cold weather cruise fashion ideas?

AZPam

I am leaving in less than 3 weeks for a river trip down the Rhine that starts in Switzerland and ends in Amsterdam. This will be the second time we have done this, but I am looking for some new ideas. I don't live in a cold weather climate, so it's a little more of a challenge to know what is the latest and greatest fashion wise for cold weather.

I'm looking for ideas on must have things that you cold weather dwellers wouldn't or couldn't live without. These cruises aren't real dressy by any means, but I don't want to just be in jeans either, at least not every day.

Boots, gloves, layers, SmartWool, cashmere, a nice soft wool or cashmere scarf you can also use as a wrap, etc. I have a couple pairs of tights that are mostly wool I got at J. Crew, and they make a good underlayer for pants if you want to cut down on bulk. Have a great black wool jumper I got at Athleta, that I wear with a Smartwool turtleneck, tights and boots and a scarf if it's really cold. Casual but can be dressed up and it's cute and warm.

I'm not a big fleece fan, but we see a lot of fleece where I live.

Cashmere, merino wool & fleece (it comes in lots of styles as well as thicknesses these days--not just the athletic looking jacket, though I own those too:p)

I don't get cold, really--even when skiing, I always want ice water, not cocoa:o As long as my feet and my ears are warm, I'm happy. So--cashmere socks and a fleece earband (easier than a hat for me, though I have hats too--better if it's snowing--but if it's just cold I'll wear a headband only).

[i realize I live in NC now, but I grew up in New England and lived in the mountains of Utah for a few years, so I do know cold:D One thing I hate about living in NC is not having a chance to wear all my cute wool sweaters]

Living in a colder climate the latest "trends" are: Chunky knit sweaters and cardigans in longer lengths. Tweed (coats with fur collars) but also knee length skirts and trousers. Patterned wool tights (colourful are in big time - not just black) to go with the tweed skirt. Hats, scarfs and gloves are a must too along with a pair of good quality leather ankle or knee high boots. Grad yourself an oversized handbag and your good to go.

You've gotten some great advice, so I really can't add much in terms of clothing.

My hands always get cold, and I have these hand warmers that really work well. They can be reused.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___04957?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=4957

You're going to be walking around for hours outdoors in the cold weather. If your hands tend to get cold, these things are just great.

Have a fantastic trip!

Definitely check out the items on the Athleta website. They have many dresses, jumpers and skirts in neutral colors that you can mix up with colorful tops. I bought the black Tech Stretch Skirt the other week and, let me tell you, I LOVE it! It is so comfy that I think I'll be wearing it more than some of my pants this winter. Pair it with some leggings, and I'm good to go! I'll second the Smartwool items. They make socks, base layers, sweaters, and now they also are in the boot business. If you like fun socks, they are definitely worth a look. A fun trend is to wear your tights, then put a pair of colorful knee socks on and then your boots. It adds a bit of whimsy to an otherwise very plain outfit. There are handwarmers that are alternatives to usual gloves. I see this trend everywhere. I even saw some in the window of Club Monaco in Beverly Hills, and last week, lots of them in the stores in Calgary. Athleta also has some pretty darn stylish warm pants made from different kinds of travel-friendly fabrics. I have several pair, and I do use them when I travel to Europe in the winter. I do take one long scarf with me to use in different ways. But, then, I pick up more scarves on my travels - it's a nice way to remember trips and a colorful souvenier.

Living in a colder climate the latest "trends" are: Chunky knit sweaters and cardigans in longer lengths. Tweed (coats with fur collars) but also knee length skirts and trousers. Patterned wool tights (colourful are in big time - not just black) to go with the tweed skirt. Hats, scarfs and gloves are a must too along with a pair of good quality leather ankle or knee high boots. Grad yourself an oversized handbag and your good to go.

Thanks for the patterned tights tip. We will be in London in Feb. and that sounds perfect. I'll have to start looking for some, because it sounds perfect with my black wool jumper and would change the look so I can pack lightly. I wish I had kept the kilted skirts my MIL got in Scotland on her honeymoon. Sounds as if they would have been great this year.

Slidergirl I also like the socks with tights tip. There's some shopping that needs to be done here!

I think knee socks over tights looks very young--I don't want anything "peeking" out the top of my boots. I wouldn't wear it (and I'm 35, so....)

Every time I get the Athleta catalog I ogle that Tech skirt--but it seems very short? Do you like the length? (for your height)

Thanks for the great tips! Sounds like I am along the right path with what I have so far. I'm not planning on taking any dresses or skirts, but love the tights idea. Not sure if it would ever be cold enough here to wear them, but may have to consider it anyway!

Hi...

You've already been given great tips on what to pack.

There's one thing I don't leave home without and that's a couple of pair of silk thermals. I take one patterned pair to wear as PJ's (they fold to nothing and will dry in a day if hang them in your bathroom) and one solid black pair to wear under clothing. Usually, unless it's extremely cold, I wear only the top.

If I find during the day that I'm just too warm, it's easy to slip into a rest room and remove the silk thermal and it folds into a small ball in my purse.

I hope this idea is helpful to you.

Enjoy your trip.

murphysmum;)

I think knee socks over tights looks very young--I don't want anything "peeking" out the top of my boots. I wouldn't wear it (and I'm 35, so....)

Every time I get the Athleta catalog I ogle that Tech skirt--but it seems very short? Do you like the length? (for your height)

The skirt isn't that short on me. I'm 5'8" and the skirt hits about 3" up from the middle of my kneecap. As for the "young" look, well, I'm older than you and I like to have fun once in awhile with my clothes. I mean, I won't wear the knee socks to work or out on a date, but if I'm out running around someplace that I'd wear my jeans or fleece pants, I'll do the skirt with the tights and knee socks. It's frivolous and fun. If I "dressed my age", I wouldn't be running around town in my Mountain Hardware black down jacket, jeans and Keens with my hair in a ponytail sticking out from the hole in the back of my baseball hat :-). If it's a snowy or dreary day, it's always nice to throw on a bit of whimsy to make myself smile.

Go for the skirt! If you wear leggings and boots, the length is perfect! I will say that the picture in the catalog or on the website has the skirt looking shorter than it is on me by about 2 inches. I've seen that model in town (they shot parts of the winter catalog here in Park City), and she has legs that go on forever.

Hi...

You've already been given great tips on what to pack.

There's one thing I don't leave home without and that's a couple of pair of silk thermals. I take one patterned pair to wear as PJ's (they fold to nothing and will dry in a day if hang them in your bathroom) and one solid black pair to wear under clothing. Usually, unless it's extremely cold, I wear only the top.

If I find during the day that I'm just too warm, it's easy to slip into a rest room and remove the silk thermal and it folds into a small ball in my purse.

I hope this idea is helpful to you.

Enjoy your trip.

murphysmum;)

Thanks for the tip! I have already got a pair of silk long johns and just love them.

Go for the skirt! If you wear leggings and boots, the length is perfect! I will say that the picture in the catalog or on the website has the skirt looking shorter than it is on me by about 2 inches. I've seen that model in town (they shot parts of the winter catalog here in Park City), and she has legs that go on forever.

That's funny--Park City is one of the places I lived during my Utah residency;) I definitely do not dress in North Carolina the way I did in Utah (and it's more than just the temperature). But I still might try the skirt--Thanks!

That's funny--Park City is one of the places I lived during my Utah residency;) I definitely do not dress in North Carolina the way I did in Utah (and it's more than just the temperature). But I still might try the skirt--Thanks!

The skirt is extremely comfy - totally soft and stretchy. It would fit in just fine in NC,or anywhere else in the winter where it gets even the tiniest bit cool. You may not wear it with Uggs (or the new, horror, Crocs winter boots), but it is perfect for those casual days when you want to wear something other than your jeans or yoga pants. I wish they had one in their brown shades - I'd buy that one, too.

For those looking for patterned tights, there are many different patterns and colors for this year. And, different textures, from lightweight opaque to sweaterlike. It's a fun time to want to look for tights!!

Archived