First Post from Someone Actually Sailing Aboard the Solstice!!

elena7seas

To the best of my knowledge, this post, by HOMEBUILT, is the first post from someone actually sailing on the Solstice. I am ridiculously excited to be hearing actual facts and anticipating actual pictures! Thanks so much, Homebuilt!

(Homebuilt's post was originally posted on the "What questions do you have for those on Solstice Inaugural sailing(s)" thread).

icon1.gifOn Board Now

What a beautiful ship! Whoever it was that was worried about a 70s disco look, I just don't see it anywhere. Absolutely everything is tasteful and modern with some really incredible features.

I'm working on answers to the thousands of questions, but I'll have photos uploaded sooner than that, if all goes well with the Internet connection.

As for the chairs without arms, I talked with the maitre d' of each of the restaurants, and they all said that if they had a guest that needed a chair without arms, they would be happy to go on up to the buffet and bring one down. None of the restaurants other than the buffet had simple armless chairs.

The Solstice Theatre is incredible. It has the best sound system I've heard in any theatre. For sound, every seat in the house is a winner.

Chuck

Homebuilt, when next you post, could you please start a new thread? Thanks!!

SWEET!!!!

Real first hand exp. comming out. Any idea if this was sent from ships internet cafe or was it wireless access. If wireless, how was the speed? HUMMMM, maybee I should be asking Homebuilt shouldnt I?

Anxiously awaiting more!!!!

SWEET!!!!

Real first hand exp. comming out. Any idea if this was sent from ships internet cafe or was it wireless access. If wireless, how was the speed? HUMMMM, maybee I should be asking Homebuilt shouldnt I?

Anxiously awaiting more!!!!

That's why I asked him if he could start his own thread, so we could get a real dialogue going. But I'm sure we will have others posting soon. ;)

Great idea elena7seas for the ANSWERS to the questions about Solstice to have it's own thread!

I am really an information junkie when it comes to learning more about the Solstice...and I know others are too! I invision this thread to be toward the top of the Celebrity thread for many days to come as actual cruisers post their impressions and find the answers we are seeking.

Thanks for starting this thread!:D

Lobster129

Overall I give the ship 2 Thumbs Up! I just kept going "WOW!" as I looked through the photos! Most of the public areas are truly stunning and really seem to hit a home run. There are some "quirks" that I am not sure about in practical use, but time will tell (Doors to Silk Harvest seem to be awkwardly placed and look easy to run into, for example).

I am glad to see there is a "free" sauna in the Ladies and Men's changing rooms, not just in the Persian Garden. I do like my afternoon sauna :D The fitness center also looks very bright spacious and inviting. It is hard to motivate me to work out, so a space that is welcoming is a real motivator.

The Grand Epernay dining room has grown on me and I am willing to bet it will be stunning in person! There seem to be quite a few tables for 2 and 4 mixed in as well. The specialty dining rooms all look very well decorated to suit their respected cuisines, while not going too far into being "themed". I really think the Lido setup will work nicely and offer a better variety than most. "Bistro for $5" seems to be sit down all you care to eat for the now-infamous surcharge. I had planned on eating most breakfasts and lunches there in lieu of the Lido, but now will probably only try it once or twice.

I like the decor and overall layout of the cabins and the bathrooms look well designed (though the shower doors SHOULD be frosted rather than clear!), but I again echo my concerns that getting to the closets/dressing area is going to be a hassle - especially in the bed by closet configuration. There is just not enough space. I would personally have gone for a larger floor space by the closet and shorter sofa.

One of the most interesting bits of art is the suspended tree in the atrium - how cool is that! The designers have really thought outside of the box in how to use space for artistic and dramatic effect. There seem to be quite a few other unique and thought provoking pieces of art throughout the ship - something Celebrity has long been know for. I wonder if Christina Chandris still involved in the selection of art and artists at all?

I am curious why so much of the Lawn Club is roped off? Is this just to help the sod take root, or is it indicative of what will become an ongoing issue? Pretty to look at, but please don't walk on the grass? If so then the whole point of it is wasted.

There looks to me to be a nice balance between loungers on deck for sunning as well as in shade. Too often I find not enough area to sit out on deck and get some shade. More and more people are becoming more cautious w/ tanning and concerned about skin cancer, but still want to lounge in the open air and have beautiful sea views. It seems the Solstice's designers were sensitive to this trend and tried to create more opportunities to find shade.

I am also curious why the designers did not put a hot tub or "splash" pool on the Solstice deck? Would have made a great adults only area! I am not sure that this area will be heavily used w/o some sort of access to water. To get to the pools or hot tubs is three decks down and almost 1/3 of the ships length away.

From what I have seen thus far I have to say job well done and I can't wait to sail on her on 12/14 - unfortunately I think a week will not truly be enough to enjoy all that the solstice has on offer. Sounds like a good reason to book another, longer cruise on her or the Equinox :D

She's a beautiful ship. I do see one thing that I'm very disappointed about and that's the shower. On page 24, Homebuilt shows the shower head and the height is not adjustable. I'm very short and one thing I've always liked about Celebrity's showers is that there is a bar where you can slide the shower head up and down to where it's comfortable for your size. Bummer.:(

Garry

I'll be on the Solstice on November 30. Knowing that seven days would not be enough to really appreciate her, I already booked the Eclipse for next December for the 10-night Southern Caribbean cruise (which is the best Caribbean itin there is!).

As soon as the Eclipse comes out, I'll be on her as well.

I've been on all the Millenium class ships even twice on some and you can really get the feel for the ship when you cruise multiple times on it.

Looking forward to this fabulous new concept ship. I'm true to Celebrity.

Happy cruising!

She's a beautiful ship. I do see one thing that I'm very disappointed about and that's the shower. On page 24, Homebuilt shows the shower head and the height is not adjustable. I'm very short and one thing I've always liked about Celebrity's showers is that there is a bar where you can slide the shower head up and down to where it's comfortable for your size. Bummer.:(

Garry

that reminds me of something Martha Stewart once said. she said if the shower head is not hand held as well, then who ever CLEANS the shower is certainly NOT able to a very good job and she wont use it because of that.. LOL

I'm short too, and I like to be able to adjust it down to spray in my face instead of the top of my head:(

I'm short too, and I like to be able to adjust it down to spray in my face instead of the top of my head:(

I hope we can reach it to at least adjust the spray. There are a lot of showerheads I can't reach.:(

Garry

Was wondering if you could tell me how the "obstructed view" looks off the deck around room 7230.. when I signed up for this cruise - no one mentioned anything about obstructed views from the balcony.. guess the lifeboats are in the way if you look out/down... quite disappointing if indeed the views are not good since when I book this cruise I could have chosen any cabin... and no one provided any mention of this to me. Thx!

Wow your right nothings 70's about it.:rolleyes:

solstice 229

What the heck is this?:eek:

solstice 192

Anyway I am glad it suited your taste and wish you a good time, but not for me thank you. LOL

The first one looks really nice!

Great view, too!

Very good concept of the Martini Bar!!!!!

Only few clubs have this concept of having this courtain element.

Archived