CD Morning Show...

RickEk

Y'all... just a quick question for all of you that have cruised recently.

On all of my past cruises, the morning show has always been the CD and assistant CD doing a live show that features what's happening on the ship that day. On our last MR voyage on the Sapphire Princess a couple of weeks ago, the morning show was a canned presentation (you could see that some of it was filmed in Alaska). Is this a trend? Or was our CD just lazy? or camera-shy? or what? :p

I just got back from the Emerald Princess Transatlantic last month, and from what I could tell, the show, called "Wakey Wakey TV," appeared new. Sometimes they would have a guest lecturer on to talk about whatever presentation they would make later in the day. And since I had met one of the lecturers in the Wheelhouse earlier, I figured the show was shot live. Neil, the CD was very energetic, but I still wonder how he and the asst CD managed to get up so early to do the show. (The first showing is at 6am.) Maybe they tape the night before.

I just got back from the Emerald Princess Transatlantic last month, and from what I could tell, the show, called "Wakey Wakey TV," appeared new. Sometimes they would have a guest lecturer on to talk about whatever presentation they would make later in the day. And since I had met one of the lecturers in the Wheelhouse earlier, I figured the show was shot live. Neil, the CD was very energetic, but I still wonder how he and the asst CD managed to get up so early to do the show. (The first showing is at 6am.) Maybe they tape the night before.

Sorry to spoil the illusion but yes, the show is definitely put together the previous day, usually late afternoon

Seems the show now has a new title though.

I believe the OP is asking if these are not just taped ... but taped and then used over-and-over. I must admit that I never paid close enough attention to them to tell. But, as long as the events, port times and the "drink of the day" is the same from cruise to cruise, there's probably no reason not to reuse them. It's not as if they're giving any "timely" news.

i think they tape the staff members talking about the activities that day the night before so that's different each cruise but mix in some canned segments like boutiques and bartender stuff or gambling tips-may account for seeing something in alaska-i remember i saw a bartender on one show that i knew and he wasn't on the ship anymore...

We were on the Crown for the TA from Copenhagan and I can tell you it was definately made for that day. Yes, they tape it around 4:00-4:30 the day before, but Kelvin and Brett had music trivia everyday and read all the entries and these were people on our cruise.:cool:

We were on the Grand last month and it was definitely a new show every day. I don't know when it was recorded, but it was timely with trivia questions that could be answered and they would announce the winners the next day, it was not a recorded show that was used from cruise to cruise.

Yes, they are definitely taped ahead of time and are taped every day. I have to admit that I very, very rarely watch them as I read the Patter and decide for myself what I want to do that day. I don't need an amateurish "comedy" routine to entice me to an event.

When we did the Sapphire Mexican Riviera a couple years ago, it seemed funny to me that the morning show always had the sunrise in the background from the promenade bar where the CD did the show. Except that the sunrise would have been on the other side of the ship on the southbound leg. Then we saw him later one afternoon taping the show, with sunset doubling as sunrise LOL.

I think, just like soap operas, we aren't supposed to pay attention to background details.

I'm the OP and I agree with most of you that the shows that I've experienced on other voyages might have been taped the night before, but it was still sorta spontaneous with trivia contests that involved folks on our cruise and crew members that you could see around the ship (I know for a fact that the show on the Coral Princess a year ago was absolutely live, because they'd discuss something that had happened late the night before).

The one on the recent Sapphire voyage was called "BS in the Morning" or "Breakfast Show in the Morning" and was just a series of taped montages... basically a ship's tour focusing on a different area each morning.

I personally like the wacky, tongue-in-cheek "live" shows because they'd show off the CD's personality and it was lighthearted enough to just leave on the TV in the morning whilst enjoying a pot of coffee and getting ready for the day. :)

We were on the Grand last month and it was definitely a new show every day. I don't know when it was recorded, but it was timely with trivia questions that could be answered and they would announce the winners the next day, it was not a recorded show that was used from cruise to cruise.

The show on the Grand in April was the same as mentioned above. With names of current cruisers read for winning the question of the day and well wishes for birthdays and anniversaries to those that bothered to request a mention on the show.

We were on the Crown for the TA from Copenhagan and I can tell you it was definately made for that day. Yes, they tape it around 4:00-4:30 the day before, but Kelvin and Brett had music trivia everyday and read all the entries and these were people on our cruise.:cool:

Yeh..........like the ones who kept on winning. Every day. :D;):D

Yeh..........like the ones who kept on winning. Every day. :D;):D

Well that was us this past cruise:D We turned it on every morning and thought it was kinda funny. They would bring in guests like the guy who runs the jewelry stores and people who work in the spa. They had a question of the day and asked for jokes so we kept sending in jokes everyday and winning something- 6 Princess luggage tags a nice pen and a cross stitch thing:cool: John

Here is a list of the prizes we won on the TA cruise on the Crown. Some were from the morning show and others were from trivia games, etc. We had to buy another suitcase to get it home. Eat your heart out Pia!!!!! LOL!:D

Basically, our booty consisted of the following:

2 bottles of champagne

3 t-shirts

3 coffee mugs

2 needlepoint kits

5 baseball hats

5 luggage tags

5 passport holders

1 glass clock

1 keychain

6 decks of cards

5 I.D holders

2 Medals of honor

5 tote bags

1 scrap book

1 key chain

Some parts must be live, for example, on Coral Princess we were always told the outside temperature, in Alaska, and weather conditions at the time of the first broadcast. It would be too much to hope that the C.D. could ALWAYS be right, if it was taped the day before.

john

Here is a list of the prizes we won on the TA cruise on the Crown. Some were from the morning show and others were from trivia games, etc. We had to buy another suitcase to get it home. Eat your heart out Pia!!!!! LOL!:D

Basically, our booty consisted of the following:

2 bottles of champagne

3 t-shirts

3 coffee mugs

2 needlepoint kits

5 baseball hats

5 luggage tags

5 passport holders

1 glass clock

1 keychain

6 decks of cards

5 I.D holders

2 Medals of honor

5 tote bags

1 scrap book

1 key chain

Good grief!! You could have set up a table outside the port embarkation area after you debarked and had a little flea market right there! Some of the new pax's might have enjoyed purchasing their first Princess momento as they boarded!! :D

Our daughter loves the shows when we cruise and has won the contest on three cruises. :D:D:D

We were in the caribbean then Alaska with Kelvin and he remembered "Emily" and actually had her on the show. It was taped the night before.

Really silly but we like them!!!

Good grief!! You could have set up a table outside the port embarkation area after you debarked and had a little flea market right there! Some of the new pax's might have enjoyed purchasing their first Princess momento as they boarded!! :D

On some of our Princess cruises we did just that; sold our prizes. One of the best Asst. CD's out there (Frankie) runs a white elephant sale. Lots of fun and you can really get rid of "stuff." Impulse port purchases as well as Princess prizes. On one cruise I had 12 Princess bags which I sold for $7/each. :)

On some of our Princess cruises we did just that; sold our prizes. One of the best Asst. CD's out there (Frankie) runs a white elephant sale. Lots of fun and you can really get rid of "stuff." Impulse port purchases as well as Princess prizes. On one cruise I had 12 Princess bags which I sold for $7/each. :)

What a great idea! They could hold it in the dining room next to the last day sale! I'd go.. to buy and sell! :D

What a great idea! They could hold it in the dining room next to the last day sale! I'd go.. to buy and sell! :D

No way. That's where they sell their own stuff that they want to unload. Frankie always held it in the Vista lounge; now known as Club Fusion on the newer ships.

No way. That's where they sell their own stuff that they want to unload. Frankie always held it in the Vista lounge; now known as Club Fusion on the newer ships.

:D Well, since I just got off the Sapphire Princess, I actually meant the dining room next door to the dining room they were holding the last day sale in... (The Sapphire has four dining rooms in the space of most other ship's two dining rooms). But yeah, the Vista Lounge or Club Fusion would work just fine...

Archived