Consolidator

lawyerrose

Well, despite all the nay-sayers, I booked with an online consolidator, Tickets-To-Europe, and saved thousands on our two business class seats and had absolutely no problem whatsoever. Our Swiss flights never even changed times or flight numbers, even though I booked them almost a year in advance. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just thought I'd report in.

Well, despite all the nay-sayers, I booked with an online consolidator, Tickets-To-Europe, and saved thousands on our two business class seats and had absolutely no problem whatsoever. Our Swiss flights never even changed times or flight numbers, even though I booked them almost a year in advance. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just thought I'd report in.

Glad you had no problems. Just curious-what would you have done if there was a problem??? Let's say the flight home changed from after noon to 9:30AM and you couldn't get to the flight on time. You do realize that consolidator restrictions COULD REQUIRE you to fly the 9:30AM flight on the day you booked or loose your ticket???

THAT is the BIG problem with consolidator tickets.

Always nice to hear reports of a successful trip. Consolidator tickets serve a particular function in the overall market for commercial air transport, and for the most part, purchasers are satisfied with results.

The caveat for air purchasers lies in the word "most." Savvy travelers do a risk-benefit analysis of consolidator tickets. The economic benefit is obvious and attractive. The risks are not so obvious -- but they have explained in detail many times on this board. When one buys consolidator air with full knowledge of the risks, one has made an informed decision -- something like signing a consent form for surgery.

One of many repeating themes on this and other cc boards is the tendency to extrapolate from a part to the whole. One anecdotal experience with consolidator air (either positive or negative) does not extrapolate to the whole nor reveal the entire picture. The attendant benefits remain, as do the attendant risks.

If you keep a large window of time around your flights available, you lower your risks. I always booked the earliest flight (within reason), so I can be bumped to a later one and still reach my destination. I also fly in a day before my cruises, and coming back can be an extra day, too.

My TA taught me this years ago.

For people on a budget, there really isn't a choice of saving thousands on a business class seat, or paying full price with the airline. We follow the money!! :D

When I am faced with a risky decision that may end up costing me BIG instead of saving me money, I always first ask myself "Do I feel lucky?" For about 75% of times I chicken out, but then I really do sleep much better not worrying in advance.:D Stress does affect your health, you know. And there is BIG value in that.;)

Life is an adventure. Skydiving gives you that adrenalin rush. Saving big time with consolidator tickets gives that same rush. Think of the excitement of trying to get on another flight knowing that I am using consolidator tickets from a delayed or canceled flights. If I don't have a set schedule or have several extra days built in, I can do without the rush. Once I am retired and don't have to be somewhere five hours from now, this kind of rush is acceptable. (Retired people love to save money:D)

My SIL was in the Philipines on a consolidator ticket. They switched/bumped her ticket time and didn’t tell her. She wnt to the airport where they explained she couldn’t get out for another ten days. Unfortunately, that didn’t work for the US government. She had just received her Visa to come live here and needed to travel by a certain time. My brother was furious with them for bumping her and after many phone calls and frantic conversations they eventually got her out on the last day acceptable. However, the straight through flight she had to LAX was now a diverted flight and she ended up with two stop overs, one over 12 hours. Told my brother to suck it up and buy a real ticket next time.

...One of many repeating themes on this and other cc boards is the tendency to extrapolate from a part to the whole. One anecdotal experience with consolidator air (either positive or negative) does not extrapolate to the whole nor reveal the entire picture. The attendant benefits remain, as do the attendant risks.

Totally agree and well said!

When you buy cruise air, you are essentially buying consolidator tickets. The cruise line is the consolidator. The cruise lines buy the lowest price wholesale consolidator tickets from multiple airlines Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. If you loose, you get the priviledge of paying deviation fees.

Archived