Perks for suites?

Suni99

I am thinking about moving from a balcony to a AF, I am wondering what definte perks are included and If i can justify the price jump. I have read alot of the boards but am a bit confused with different responses that have been given. Any info would be great. thanks:) Also any recent pics from the pearl would be fabulous.

Suni - AF's are mini-suites and do not receive the same perks that a full suite would receive (AE and above). The AF will have a tub/shower combo rather than just a shower and there will be a curtain that can be used to "separate" the couch area from the bed area (it's all one room).

Only you can decide if the extra $$ are worth it to you.

Either way, you'll love the Pearl and you'll have a great cruise!

Best to get the info from the horse's mouth - check out the NCL web site. There's lots of info on the suites. Sometimes, different ships have different perks because they are larger or smaller (for example, not all ships have garden suites, so some people may be given those perks and some may not).

I do think mini's get priority embarkation and disembarkation. I'm not 100% for sure, but I would have sworn they do. Also, I believe the bathtub is a nice size. While it isnt a garden tub, if it is the same size as the ones in the AE (and I think it is) I could easily fit in it and I'm a big guy. I don't know if they have the special coffee maker in them. I kind of think they may not because that is usually maintained by the butler, but they may. Even if they do, I can tell you I was not impressed with that coffee maker. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you. The location of the mini might make it worth the extra $$.

Do they have a different area to checkin for the AF passengers? If so what is the difference between AF and the other categories..Thank you for your help..

When we sailed on the Pearl, they did not. The seperate embarkation area was for the AB suites and above only.

When we sailed on the Pearl, they did not. The seperate embarkation area was for the AB suites and above only.

We're on the Dawn in February 2009 in an AD suite. The "suite perks" only start at the AE level on that specific ship. As several posters have indicated, it might be different for different ships. On the Dawn, the AC, AD, and AE suites are really not suites at all but larger rooms with a separate sitting area and with larger balconies. The Garden Villa down through the AE get the suite perks such as priority embarkation, disembarkation, butler, concierge, Cagneys breakfast and lunch, priority tendering, bottle of champagne in cabin at embarkation, canapes in room everynight, upgraded bedding, toiletries, upgraded room service (anything from any restaurants including specialty), etc. What you're paying for in the AE, AD, AC are the perks, not the room. So the big question is "are the perks worth the extra money TO YOU?" To some they are and some they are not. Its all up to you. Like everyone tells me, "Its your VACATION" :). They were important to us especially for the priority tendering, embarkation and disembarkation. Everything else is just a nice added touch to pamper ourselves because we've never really been on a great trip or vacation before. But if you don't care about any of that you might want to apply that money to excursions, possibly trying some specialty restaurants, shopping, gambling, spa treatment, or what ever is important to you. Or, just put the money in the bank and save it for your next cruise:). Whatever you choose, you're gonna have a great time.

If you move to an AE, just be prepared to never want anything less! I took an upsell on the Sky and I *had* booked an AF for next January, but changed it to an AE to sail in December when NCL was giving the on board credits. I decided that I *did* like all the little perks!

If you go, just know that you will need to consider tips for the butler and concierge and even a little extra for your housekeeping. It's worth it IMHO, but you certainly want to make it part of your cruise budget if you are like me and like to have your ducks in a line when it comes to any extras! We are not high maintenance people, but trust me, you will LOVE the pampering should you decide to move up. :D

oic, okay thanks, so its just a bit bigger and a bathtub. to get the other "perks" you must move to a villa if im reading you right. I was looking for the expresso machine,bathrobes, etc:)

It broke my heart when I saw that it was not the Lavazza! I just gotta ask you Terry, was it the coffee maker that you were not impressed with or the coffee itself? We are pretty big coffee connoisseurs in our home (just bought a Tassimo because they offer European coffees that I LOVE <3 not to mention we do a lot of French pressed coffees) and I think it will upset me more if the coffee is awful. They made a really nice French press coffee at Cagneys on the Sky, even though I found they press a little too fast and it gets a little chunky for my taste. :eek:

Even if they do, I can tell you I was not impressed with that coffee maker.

They really should be called Deluxe Balcony and not a suite. They are slightly larger and do have a curtain to divide the sitting area - but still a balcony

From what I have read here, it sounds like our deluxe balcony we had on HAL and a regualr balcony we had on Disney. Both those lines give you a bath tub and a curtain to speerate the room-not that that truly gives you privacy. (the curtain)

The only true plus I see in a NCL minisuite is the actual balcony is a little larger, and the room itself is a little larger. On HAL and Disney, the balconies were around the same size as a balcony in the regular balcony rooms of most lines. You know, not wide enough for a lounger.

Next Sunday we are in a minisuite on the Pearl, so I guess I will get to see for myself.

That is the one we had on the Sky...you are so right, it was easy to use and not only the coffee, but the Limon tea rocked. I fell so in love with that machine that I wanted my own. I went and looked for one...cheapest I found was $700 and the pods are about .50 a piece! :eek: I could deal with that if the cup amounts were larger, but you are right...it was certainly tasty!:D

This is the coffee machine we had on the Gem in April was the Lavazza Blue. It was fantastic and made a great cup of coffee. Very easy to use also...

thanks gary, i get it now. I like the idea of a bathtub to soak my back, but im sure they are not full sized, so i guess its best to save the cash and hit the hot tub:D

If it is like the bathtubs on Disney and HAL, they are dinky. They are not as big as the bath tub you have in your second bathroom-you know the kid's bathroom. I even find those small now, since we have a garden tub in our master bath at home.

So I still showered, on Disney and HAL, but it was nice to sit on the side of the tub and shave.

We are in a AF minisuite also-so I suppose this is the smaller tub? not the size of your second bathroom at home? Anyone know? I guess it really does not matter-as it won't be my garden tub at home. LOL!

If it is like the bathtubs on Disney and HAL, they are dinky. They are not as big as the bath tub you have in your second bathroom-you know the kid's bathroom. I even find those small now, since we have a garden tub in our master bath at home.

So I still showered, on Disney and HAL, but it was nice to sit on the side of the tub and shave.

We are in a AF minisuite also-so I suppose this is the smaller tub? not the size of your second bathroom at home? Anyone know? I guess it really does not matter-as it won't be my garden tub at home. LOL!

mom, that is what i would want to , to be able to sit and shave, i have 3 herniated disks in my back, so my mobility is limited, but i can suffer through , i do not want to spend 125$ more pp for a tiny bit more room and tiny bathtub, is rather use that money towards spa treatments:D

That is the one we had on the Sky...you are so right, it was easy to use and not only the coffee, but the Limon tea rocked. I fell so in love with that machine that I wanted my own. I went and looked for one...cheapest I found was $700 and the pods are about .50 a piece! :eek: I could deal with that if the cup amounts were larger, but you are right...it was certainly tasty!:D

Could you tell me what all you can make with this machine? Or like what they give you in order for you to make with the machine. I was never a coffee drinker at all but lately I've gotten into Cafe Mochas and such. So I'm just wondering if they supply some of the stuff so you can make different things. I suppose I could ask the butler for some chocolate syrup like people have said they do in the restaurants too.

They had several different teas that were fabulous. You didn't have to put anything in the the Limon tea...it had a wonderful fresh lemon taste that was pretty surprising considering it was coming from a pod and was already sweetened. I am an iced tea drinker. It's a rare occasion I enjoy hot tea, but they were amazing. Only complaint was it didn't make enough. Erlindo helped me out there and kept the machine stocked once he found out from DH that I loved it!:D

As for the coffee, you will get milk and cream in your refrigerator. There is a little pitcher that you can froth the milk with and I certainly think that you could get chocolate syrup from the butler. I put Frangelica in mine at home....that might be available on the ship somewhere depending on if you like alcohol or not....obviously, lots of options with that. :p You could certainly bring some good vanilla, chocolate powder or maybe a favorite dry creamer from home and just add the frothed milk. I have an expresso machine and I loved the frother on this machine...they do have a cheaper version of it, but I already have 3 different machines now!:eek:

Could you tell me what all you can make with this machine? Or like what they give you in order for you to make with the machine. I was never a coffee drinker at all but lately I've gotten into Cafe Mochas and such. So I'm just wondering if they supply some of the stuff so you can make different things. I suppose I could ask the butler for some chocolate syrup like people have said they do in the restaurants too.

You are not going to get a *pod* for it, but you would have milk and if you either got the butler to bring you syrup or you brought your own, you certainly could steam your milk and mix it up to have it. It would definitely be the same thing....probably just take you steaming 3 milk pitchers. They are a lot smaller than the one I have at home and the cups with the coffee maker are expresso sized.

I was wondering the same thing... can you make hot chocolate with it? :D

We have a Keurig here and the little pods are about 50¢ each for this machine too. :( I did buy a couple of the filters for it and can use any coffee in those. Really is much more cost effective, just not as convenient.

I should have tried the tea, but I just made espresso, coffee and cappucino. They were all good with Kahlua too.

I also looked at the Lavazza machines when we came back from the cruise but decided they were too pricey also. Maybe someday!!! :D

Jackie

Archived