Stupid ? about price drops and discounts

kathyemma

I am sailing NEXT SATURDAY!!! WOO HOO!!!

I originally paid 1600 p/p for a D1 cabin. I got a 200 (?) diamond discount - so the price went down to 1400. Then they offered a military discount so the price dropped to 1199. And then they offered a resident discount so the price dropped to 999. I have paid the 999. Shouldn't I get more money back - the 200 diamond discount?

Also - do they still have the soft serve machines on the mariner?

TIA-

Kathy

The current price on your D1 is $1319. There is no military or residency discount currently available so it is hard to tell if you should get additional cash back.

To clarify, did the residency go down $200 or did it go to $999. That makes a difference. If it went down to $999 on the website then it would seem you should get the balcony discount.

The resident discount - which is no longer offered - took the price down to 999 - which is what i paid. And I really think I should have ended up paying 799 or 899 - forget what the diamond discount it. This is the first time I have used a TA (a friend of mine) so I just sent him off an email to see if he can fix this for be before I sail.

Kathy

I originally paid 1600 p/p for a D1 cabin. I got a 200 (?) diamond discount - so the price went down to 1400. Then they offered a military discount so the price dropped to 1199. And then they offered a resident discount so the price dropped to 999. I have paid the 999. Shouldn't I get more money back - the 200 diamond discount?

TIA-

Kathy

Getting a little greedy?

;)

The $200 balcony discount is per cabin and while you noted that it was already applied you technically got only $100 per person.

And since the discount already has been applied you don't get another D discount.

Let me ask you a question though: since the diamond discount is applied the same way as the platinum discount how often have you applied the discount before?

Sounds like the diamond discount was originally applied and then when the price dropped, it was not re-applied.

That's the way I'm reading it as well. Kathy, definitely call your TA about and check to make sure your diamond discount is still applied to the reservation.

Sounds like the diamond discount was originally applied and then when the price dropped, it was not re-applied.

Why would the diamond discount have to be re-applied?

Once on the reservation it always shows as Dxxx-PRECRUISE and then the $$ is deducted.

The only thing what changes is the cruise fare.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Once I sent an email showing the original price, then listing the discounts one at a time, my TA and the cruise line understood what I was saying. I was right, when they gave me the new price based on Sr Cit discount they did not apply the Balc discount as well.

Once they saw the figures the Balc discount was applied. All of this was after final payment. I got a credit on my credit card for the difference.

Getting a little greedy?

;)

Not if she is entitled to it and either RCI or her TA made an error.... if RCI offers these discounts but makes it difficult to figure out how to apply them due to their convoluted pricing schemes, we as consumers should be able to get all we can as long as it is within the constraints and bounds of RCI's policies. Going after anything less would be stupid. That's like saying you shouldn't itemize your deductions on your tax return as the standard deduction is enough, and counting up all those charatable contributions, home mortgages, medical expenses, etc... is just being greedy...

Maybe you have enough disposable income to not worry about having to accumulate discounts and can leave money on the table, but I don't think that is the case with most cruisers.

Still haven't heard from my TA - I have a fear he is on a cruise right now. I will try calling him tonight. If I already got the discount - thats fine - but a part of me thinks I didn't. And that 200 will pay for plenty of foo foo drinks!!! I need all the help I can get. Trying to sell 2 houses right now. Anyone want to buy one? Got a nice one in MD on the bay and one outside of DC.

Will you let you guys know when i hear something.

Oh - and noone answered the ? about the soft serve by the pool on the Mariner. Is is still there??

Kathy

Exactly. It's deducted off the LOWEST fare she qualifies for. The lowest base price cruise fare she qualifies for is now $999/pp - $1998 for 2/cabin. Then apply the Diamond Discount for another $100/pp or $200/cabin off. The fact there were interrim discounts for military and residency don't invalidate her Diamond Discount off the final price.

Why would the diamond discount have to be re-applied?

Once on the reservation it always shows as Dxxx-PRECRUISE and then the $$ is deducted.

The only thing what changes is the cruise fare.

Getting a little greedy?

;)

We all deserve to pay the correct amount for our cruises.:rolleyes:

Exactly! This has happened to me quite a few times. The rate goes down below what we originally paid and they have to reapply the Balcony Discount to the lowest rate.

Not if she is entitled to it and either RCI or her TA made an error.... if RCI offers these discounts but makes it difficult to figure out how to apply them due to their convoluted pricing schemes, we as consumers should be able to get all we can as long as it is within the constraints and bounds of RCI's policies. Going after anything less would be stupid. That's like saying you shouldn't itemize your deductions on your tax return as the standard deduction is enough, and counting up all those charatable contributions, home mortgages, medical expenses, etc... is just being greedy...

Maybe you have enough disposable income to not worry about having to accumulate discounts and can leave money on the table, but I don't think that is the case with most cruisers.

Whoever you are.....

If you look at my post you will see that this line was sarcastic in nature indicated by a wink smiley..

:mad:

No worries - I saw the smiley face! But i swear - I am having so much fun with these price drops!! I know my TA is probably ready to kill me.

Kathy

Whoever you are.....

If you look at my post you will see that this line was sarcastic in nature indicated by a wink smiley..

No worries - I saw the smiley face! But i swear - I am having so much fun with these price drops!! I know my TA is probably ready to kill me.

Kathy

I have a wonderful TA and plan to continue to patronize her. But, I don't usually flip my reservation until just before the final payment. That way I have control over my sailing. I like being able to call RCI and get everything straightened out without a middleman. :)

TIA-

Kathy

In answer to your last question: YES. They still have soft serve on Mariner - at least they did when I sailed her at the end of September. And I made good use of it!!:rolleyes:

In answer to your last question: YES. They still have soft serve on Mariner - at least they did when I sailed her at the end of September. And I made good use of it!!:rolleyes:

My dd has been bugging me about it.

And I just spoke with my TAs assistant. All the TAs are on a cruise right now - so whoever if filling in for them is checking into the discount for me.

Kathy

Whoever you are.....

Sarcasm is passive aggression. You don't need to have been hanging around these boards much to understand that.

Any post involving saving money, combining discounts, pinching pennies, etc. is met with the same disdain. The REAL issue is that cruising is no longer the exclusive club that some wish it still was; any attempt to break into this club by trying to do it cost-effectively is viewed as "abusing the system", being "cheap cheap cheap", not willing to pay "the cost of a vacation", people hurting the cruise line by "not spending their OBC", and passengers killing the industry by "worrying about what they spend on a cruise". (These comments should sound famiiar).

Face it - in order for the cruise industry to continue to survive they can't cater just to the old "cruisers", but also need to attract destination vacationers. That particular category tends to be more value-conscious and is more concerned about what they spend. And with the economy going they way it is, it will only continue.

Archived