Dear Carnival - Additional Revenue Idea

klfrodo

Problem

Ever since the airlines have introduced luggage restrictions, I'm sure you've also seen a reduction in on board revenue in souvineer, tobacco, and alcohol sales.

For myself, I have to be careful regarding my purchases to ensure that we don't go over the airline imposed weight limits and additional charges which can be substantial in many cases.

Solution for all parties involved.

I'm sure that Carnival Corporation has negotiated favorable rates with FedEx and/or UPS for corporate shipping. These rates are already lower for Carnival than what I can get as an individual consumer.

On the last FULL day of the cruise, I would like to come down to the 0 deck and pack 1 box ( or drop off 1 suitcase) up to 50 pounds. I will fill out the paperwork to include a customs declaration form. I will receive a copy of the tracking number. Then when we get to port the next day, Carnival will hand over my package to be cleared by customs and shipped to my address.

Carnival will bill my on board S&S account for this service. For numbers , let's assume Carnival's corporate rate with FedEx/UPS is $35 for 5 day ground delivery. I would expect Carnival to make money also, so add $10 as a service fee.

Who's Happy

The consumer. I get to purchase more stuff to take home for family and friends and I don't have to schlep everything thru the airport.

Carnival. Increased revenue

FedEx/UPS. Increased revenue

It's an idea that can work. I'm sure there are problems with my scenerio but let's not say "It can't work because...". Let's say " I see a problem, here's how it CAN work ...".

Have you emailed Carnival? This would be a truly fabulous service and could definitely see myself using it... Even if Carnival only allowed the service for items bought while onboard (maybe taking responsibility for items bought off of the ship would pose a problem to them), it would still save me some room (and would inspire cruisers to do more of their souvenier shopping on the ship).

Have you emailed Carnival? This would be a truly fabulous service and could definitely see myself using it... Even if Carnival only allowed the service for items bought while onboard (maybe taking responsibility for items bought off of the ship would pose a problem to them), it would still save me some room (and would inspire cruisers to do more of their souvenier shopping on the ship).

Haven't e-mailed Carnival. We know that Carnival watches these boards. That's what I'm counting on anyway.

I'm sure the idea isn't perfect, but I'm counting on my fellow cc'ers to find flaws in the idea and to also provide solutions to those potential flaws.

Ding Ding another idea for revenue growth.

Sell packing material (boxes, shipping tape, bubble wrap) in the gift shop.

Fantastic idea, in our last Carnival capers(Destiny NOV 4th) DHL(shippers) had an ad from either Nassau or Grand Turk, I was somewhat questioning the reliability of such service but felt that if Carnival could handle something like that that I would be more than Comfortable.....On a side note and relevant to this exact thread, at the Destiny luggade pick up there was a piece of luggage going around and around smelling like Bacardi coconut rum, (apparently had broke with the "GENTLE" baggage handling) So I say COME ON CARNIVAL!...

This is the best idea! We forgot our little travel scale at home during our last cruise. This seriously put a damper on our purchasing because DH knew we were very close to the weight limits! He says it was my 12 pairs of shoes. I say it was his size 12 shoes :D

On our Alaska cruise because my mom brought a LOT of clothes (she'd she's need to change 2 or 3 times a day) and then bought souveniers, in Skagway, we stopped at the Post Office and bought a box and tape, rushed back to the ship and packed up a 20x20x20 box. then I rushed back to the PO to mail it. Then rushed back to the ship. I would have been okay, but the excursion train pulled in just as I got there so I was at the end of a looooong line.

Thank goodness for the shuttle into town!

The cost was about $20 for the box, tape and shipping. But I would certainly be willing to pay more for the convenience and for not having to carry a heavy box.

Alix

Problem

On the last FULL day of the cruise, I would like to come down to the 0 deck and pack 1 box ( or drop off 1 suitcase) up to 50 pounds. I will fill out the paperwork to include a customs declaration form. I will receive a copy of the tracking number. Then when we get to port the next day, Carnival will hand over my package to be cleared by customs and shipped to my address.

Customs at the port wouldn't even have to get involved as Carnival could put the pkgs in a bonded container and Fedex could pick it up put it on their plane to Memphis and it would get cleared there with the rest of the international freight.

Your idea is really not as hard as it sounds, good one.

Carnival will bill my on board S&S account for this service. For numbers , let's assume Carnival's corporate rate with FedEx/UPS is $35 for 5 day ground delivery. I would expect Carnival to make money also, so add $10 as a service fee.

So $45 to ship a 50 lb package. It would have the benefit of being convenient (although, you'd have to stand in line on your last cruise day with the other "shippers")

But, as things stand now, if I check one bag with the airline I have booked for our January cruise, it is $15 and the second bag is $25. That adds ups to 100 lbs for $40. True, I'd have to do the customs thing and schlep the bags to the airport, but I do that now and haven't had a problem.

While I see the merits of this plan, I probably wouldn't use it.

I think this is a great idea! Everytime my grandma comes to visit us in MD from FL she ends us doing a lot of shopping and then shipping a box back home. She ships it on her last day here and then it arrives the day after she gets home!

This is such a great idea! I got slammed with overweight bag fees last time (all 4 bags were 70-75lbs) I would gladly have paid to ship a lot of it home rather than pay at the airport and get all the bags there when they're that heavy.

Didn't one cruise line have a program similar to this only on a larger scale? Where someone picked up your luggage at your home and you didn't have to worry about it again untill it was in your stateroom, and on the way home they took all your luggage the night beore and shipped it back to your house? I WISH carnival did that!

I was expecting the idea to be that since the airlines were charging extra for bags, that the cruiselines should, too.

Everyone should be allowed one carryon and one checked bag. Every additional checked bag = $25. This would cut down on the cases of soft drinks and water (and smuggled booze since packing space would be at a premium) and force those people who believe they can't live without to purchase on board = extra revenue.

It would cut down on all the bags that people think they need to haul around. Those that drive bring everything but the kitchen sink since they don't have to pay the baggage fees to the airlines.

Besides generating revenue, it could have the following impact:

• cut down the time for bags to be delivered to the cabins
  • quicker getting everyone on & off shuttles
  • less packed clothing could mean additional formal wear rentals and laundry services
  • alleviate some of the insane congestion on disembarkation morning (while we're at it, reserve self-disembarkation for those with early flights only; if someone else insists, charge them a fee)
  • faster retrieval of luggage and getting on your way when you return.

I don't know how they pay for the dock workers, but if it's hourly and they have less baggage to handle, they might save money that way as well.

I have no idea whether less luggage would have any meaningful impact or not, but maybe less baggage brought on board would mean less weight the ship is carrying, therefore more fuel efficient.

I don't think that this would be legal. According to the Customs and Border Patrol website, the duty free exemption applies only to items that accompany you across the border.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/duty_free.xml

Quote:

The duty-free exemptions ($200, $800, or $1,600) apply if:

• The items are for your personal or household use or intended to be given as gifts.
  • They are in your possession, that is, they accompany you when you return to the United States. Items to be sent later may not be included in your $800 duty-free exemption. (Exceptions apply for goods sent from Guam or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)

end quote:

In this case, the border is the gangway of the ship. If you surrender them to someone else for shipping, then they are acting as in importer.

I checked the USPS and UPS websites. The USPS prohibits mailing wine and spirits altogether. UPS only accepts wine shipments from shippers who are licensed to ship wine. Beer and spirits are accepted on a contract basis only.

So, as much as I would like to see some such program, I don't think that there is any way to do it, legally. I used to bring back a couple of liters of my favorite booze, but I haven't been able to do so, since the ban on liquids in carry-on luggage. Even if I wanted to risk the overweight luggage fees of the airlines, I don't want to risk the bottle breaking in transit.

I thought about taking a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box along with me, folded flat in my luggage. Upon returning, I would put two bottles in the box and drop it at a post office on the way. Unfortunately, you can't always count on passing a P.O. enroute to the airport, or having the time to stop. Now, I find that it is illegal, anyway.

I'll bet that someone at the cruise lines thought of this long ago. Even before the ban, I would have paid a reasonable fee to avoid the hassle of carrying a beavy box of liquor through airports.

Paul

Guess I don't see the advantage other than not carrying the bags to the airport. Money spent would be similar, MAJOR hassle on the last cruise day, and the fees would differ according to the distance shipped.. Could be more than the airlines fees.

I've never looked into it but maybe they already have shipping of on board purchases?

Dan

Ding Ding another idea for revenue growth.

Sell packing material (boxes, shipping tape, bubble wrap) in the gift shop.

I don't think that this would be legal. According to the Customs and Border Patrol website, the duty free exemption applies only to items that accompany you across the border.

Quote:

• The items are for your personal or household use or intended to be given as gifts.
  • They are in your possession, that is, they accompany you when you return to the United States. Items to be sent later may not be included in your $800 duty-free exemption. (Exceptions apply for goods sent from Guam or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)

end quote:

In this case, the border is the gangway of the ship. If you surrender them to someone else for shipping, then they are acting as in importer.

I checked the USPS and UPS websites. The USPS prohibits mailing wine and spirits altogether. UPS only accepts wine shipments from shippers who are licensed to ship wine. Beer and spirits are accepted on a contract basis only.

So, as much as I would like to see some such program, I don't think that there is any way to do it, legally. I used to bring back a couple of liters of my favorite booze, but I haven't been able to do so, since the ban on liquids in carry-on luggage. Even if I wanted to risk the overweight luggage fees of the airlines, I don't want to risk the bottle breaking in transit.

I thought about taking a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box along with me, folded flat in my luggage. Upon returning, I would put two bottles in the box and drop it at a post office on the way. Unfortunately, you can't always count on passing a P.O. enroute to the airport, or having the time to stop. Now, I find that it is illegal, anyway.

I'll bet that someone at the cruise lines thought of this long ago. Even before the ban, I would have paid a reasonable fee to avoid the hassle of carrying a beavy box of liquor through airports.

Paul

If packed properly (see hint above) bottles typically do not break. We have brought back several bottles well packed with bubble wrap and packed tightly between clothes that have arrived just fine.

To the OP, this is a FAB idea!! Just wonder about the laws to ship booze. Perhaps this would work for everything BUT the booze. I've heard that people actually buy things OTHER than duty free booze at foreign ports but for the life of me, I cannot fathom what that would be??!! :)

Problem

Ever since the airlines have introduced luggage restrictions, I'm sure you've also seen a reduction in on board revenue in souvineer, tobacco, and alcohol sales.

For myself, I have to be careful regarding my purchases to ensure that we don't go over the airline imposed weight limits and additional charges which can be substantial in many cases.

Solution for all parties involved.

I'm sure that Carnival Corporation has negotiated favorable rates with FedEx and/or UPS for corporate shipping. These rates are already lower for Carnival than what I can get as an individual consumer.

Who's Happy

The consumer. I get to purchase more stuff to take home for family and friends and I don't have to schlep everything thru the airport.

Carnival. Increased revenue

FedEx/UPS. Increased revenue

It's an idea that can work. I'm sure there are problems with my scenerio but let's not say "It can't work because...". Let's say " I see a problem, here's how it CAN work ...".

It can't work ...ok yes it can but you need to send it to Carnival and Cc as many big shots as possible on the letter. It will never work if you expect them to read about it here then implement the idea. Maybe even include John Heald as one of your letter recipients :) I do think it's a great idea and I'm betting alot of cruisers would in fact take the cruiselines up on it. It would help immensely in the situations where cruisers have later day flights booked but don't want to deal with hauling their luggage around all day.

Quote:

end quote:

Paul

Such a negetive nelly :D

OK,,,you've brought up a potential flaw in the system.

I now challange you to come up with a work around. Anybody can find a problem.

FedEx and UPS are importers and exporters. They are licensed and bonded.

I just shipped to my house from Jamaica some Appleton Rum. I clearly declared such on my customs and declaration forms that I filled out when shipping. My package arrived about 2 days after I departed.

I'm not sure I understand your flaw, but I'm sure it's valid. That doesn't mean that it CAN'T be done.

Regarding others who state that this idea needs to go to Carnival and/or others????

I'm sure you're correct. However,,,,, I don't know anybody. I do know that Host Mach knows people who knows people. Maybe he'll read this. Someone also mentioned John Heald. Maybe someone knows him and can direct him to this thread.

The more people who read this and agree, then that shows Carnival that this may be a service their customers want and are willing pay for.

The more people read this and find flaws and help fix those flaws, the easier it is to sell to the people who make the decisions.

FedEx and UPS are importers and exporters. They are licensed and bonded.

I just shipped to my house from Jamaica some Appleton Rum. I clearly declared such on my customs and declaration forms that I filled out when shipping. My package arrived about 2 days after I departed.

As I understand it, its not the carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) that needs to be licensed, its the shipper (you and me) that must have a license.

I didn't check FedEx for their rules. Perhaps they have no prohibition against shipping wine and/or spirits. And I don't know how strictly the UPS and USPS rules are enforced. I just know what I saw on their websites. I may have misunderstood what I saw or I may not have dug deeply enough to fully understand their rules. I just reported what I saw.

It just seems to me that the cruise lines would have thought of this long ago, if it were possible. This is especially true in the last two years, when it has become harder and harder to carry things like this on the airlines. Neither Carnival or the other lines are dummies when it comes to finding revenue opportunities.

If anybody finds a way to do it, I'd love to hear about it. We've got a cruise coming up in April and I'd love to buy a couple of bottles of my favorite poison and ship it home.

Paul

Archived