Anyone else notice the upselling in drinks?

midfiman

My wife and I just got back from the cruise and every single event we went to, RCCL was much more vocal about advertising their drink of the day, etc and encouraging us to purchase one. This was even the case with trivia people, announcements before shows, etc.

This wasn't the case in our past cruises (as recent as last year). I wonder if the economy is having a big impact on the company and they are trying to sqeeze out revenue where ever possible...

Anyone else notice this on recent cruises?

I will tell you what I noticed. On my last cruise on Adventure every time a bought a drink in Studio B they charged tax on it. That was the only place on the ship where that happened. When I went to Guest Relations to ask why they were charging tax while the ship was out at sea I was told that they always charge tax on drinks. That was there answer after they first tried to convince me that it was the service charge. Of course I know that was incorrect information. So I asked just what government RCI was turning this supposed "tax" collection over to. They, of course they had no answer.

Since it did not involve much money I let the whole thing just drop. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it was all a mistake. I also stopped buying drinks in Studio B after I noticed this occuring. I would certainly hope that RCI would not intentionally charge a so called "tax" just to add a few cents, hoping no one would notice, to each drink that they sell and then pocket that money as a little extra profit.

My wife and I just got back from the cruise and every single event we went to, RCCL was much more vocal about advertising their drink of the day, etc and encouraging us to purchase one. This was even the case with trivia people, announcements before shows, etc.

This wasn't the case in our past cruises (as recent as last year). I wonder if the economy is having a big impact on the company and they are trying to sqeeze out revenue where ever possible...

Anyone else notice this on recent cruises?

I was on the cruise just before you and saw lots of waiters letting you know that they were available, but no one "encouraged" me to buy a drink.

I wish some one would come around here and try and sell me the drink of the day.

After a very hot sticky day yesterday and then a small local bushfire, then a heavy storm, I am all for relaxing somehwere with a drink, even if it is not quite 8 am here in sydney!!!

Karon,

It's never to early to start.:p

What a weird day yesterday. It was raining Ash at home yesterday. Brought back memories of 1994.

It is a shame that Royal Caribbean are getting sneaky.:( What is even worse, is that they are charging $2 or $3 more for each drink on the Rhapsody while she is here for our summer.:mad: With the appalling exchange rate, a beer costs around 10AUD.:eek:

I did notice on the Sovereingn in Sept. they seemed to be announcing the drink of the day selection before the shows more than I remembered in the past...or maybe I just noticed it cause that night they were buy1-get 1 free...so I did...:D

We've noticed that this excess noise, hawking of drinks, "Super Bingo in Ten MInutes!!!", "Don't forget the Art Auction", etc., etc. varies from ship to ship. On our nine days on Enchantment last month, we heard very little. The P.A. was used mostly for needed announcements, with Bingo and Art maybe announced once in a while.

Enchantment seems to respond more to guests concerns than other ships. They seem very flexible and willing to vary the ship's operations to make it more customer friendly.

Rick and Deirdra

Archived