can we do anything......?

raringtogo

If it is for new bookings only it can not be applied to yur fare. Even if you were to cancel and re-book, RCCL kees track and would not apply it to the new booking, since it is really not a new booking.

Depending on the fees, you can cancel your existing and rebook. They do allow this, someone on our cruise in 10 days just did this a couple of weeks ago. It just depends what the end cost is. For this person they were able to get a balcony for a couple hundred dollars more and they were happy. Just remember you may lose OBC if it is from a Next cruise booking. Also everything else attached to reservation will have to be redone.

Depending on the fees, you can cancel your existing and rebook. They do allow this, someone on our cruise in 10 days just did this a couple of weeks ago. It just depends what the end cost is. For this person they were able to get a balcony for a couple hundred dollars more and they were happy. Just remember you may lose OBC if it is from a Next cruise booking. Also everything else attached to reservation will have to be redone.

There have been many reports on these boards about poeple having tried that and their booking was red flagged as cancelled and rebooked and they couldn´t book at the new reduced price.

I had success doing this for our 12/21 cruise on the Independence. Even with the non-refundable $750 penalty, it was STILL significantly less expensive to cancel and rebook. Warning, though, since we had already sent in some RC Cruise Credit and OBC it took many phone calls to get it all straightened out. However, in the end the savings of about $600 was worth the legwork!

Good luck no matter what you decide. As someone said above, it's always worth the phone call!

We have gotten price reductions MANY times on RCI, even though it has said for new bookings only. If the drop isn't one of their "happy hour" specials, you will probably able to get it. If you used a TA, call them and have them check. If you booked directly with RCI, call them.

Let us know how it goes!

thank you all for your replies and advice(s)

I was able to contact my lovely US T/a (even though she's on holiday right now) and apparently RCI will apply the discounts to our bookings, so, we're a very happy group today. we've had two price drops this month.

As our AU$ has slumped even further, this will at least help us with our final payments.

I was able to contact my lovely US T/a (even though she's on holiday right now) and apparently RCI will apply the discounts to our bookings, so, we're a very happy group today. we've had two price drops this month.

As our AU$ has slumped even further, this will at least help us with our final payments.

Wonderful news!!!

Don't you love the info you get here on CC?

Have fun planning on how you will spend that saved money!!!

If we have already paid in full for our cruise and a residency rate reduction appears for our cruise/cabin catagory will RCCL honor the lower price and if so do they refund the amt or give you the option of OBC?

We have always gotten a refund on our credit card.

Yep. RCCL did honor it. My TA today notifid me that we are getting $300 per cabin refund for our S.Caribbean cruise in Jan. Nice early Xmas present !!!!!

DENNY,

Hey, looks like they're looking for you on the Serenade board:

Hey, where the heck is AZDENNY anyway, he started this roll call and hasn't been back since!! Where are you Denny?:D

Mike

I contacted my Australian T/A last week, after I noted there was a US$500 discount per person on same level cabins as we had booked and paid in full for a Christmas cruise. We were told we could not get the discounted rate because RCL only did this discount rebate for US bookings, not for those booked in Australia.

They also said that I should not book throiugh US T/A (via internet) as I may not be let on boat as I am not US resident???? Raringtogo - can you advise if you have any issues boarding - as I noted you used a US T/A.

As we have 4 travelling - this amounts to US$2,000 - which even at the reported over-priced drink prices on the Aussie-based cruises - is around 200 cocktails. mmm - worth the effort to complain I feel.

hi AussieCruise...I have sent a link to this page, and your post directly off to my TA- I can only say that all our passports and details were sent immediately to Royal Caribbean when we booked, and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing back and forth between me, my TA and RCI- and they are absolutely aware we are from Australia.

I have booked cruises before through America and didn't have any problems and there are quite a few of us on these boards who've booked through America.

One very popular and online American Travel Agent even has a 1800 australian telephone number for it's customers to call up to make booking easier -

other than that, as soon as my agent writes back, i will post again on here.

don't you find it strange that they say we 'may' not be allowed on the boat because we're not US residents- ***** has that got to do with anything - we've got passports, we've got tickets, we booked and paid the advertised fare- we're boarding in Australian waters, on a sailing which was advertised on the RCI website.... for the life of me I cannot see what would be a problem.

I think it's unconscionable for them to use such scare tactics to try to force people to book through them ---- give us the same deal as the rest of the world, with the same benefits and of course we'll book locally ;-(

hi AussieCruise...I have sent a link to this page, and your post directly off to my TA- I can only say that all our passports and details were sent immediately to Royal Caribbean when we booked, and there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing back and forth between me, my TA and RCI- and they are absolutely aware we are from Australia.

I have booked cruises before through America and didn't have any problems and there are quite a few of us on these boards who've booked through America.

One very popular and online American Travel Agent even has a 1800 australian telephone number for it's customers to call up to make booking easier -

other than that, as soon as my agent writes back, i will post again on here.

don't you find it strange that they say we 'may' not be allowed on the boat because we're not US residents- ***** has that got to do with anything - we've got passports, we've got tickets, we booked and paid the advertised fare- we're boarding in Australian waters, on a sailing which was advertised on the RCI website.... for the life of me I cannot see what would be a problem.

I think it's unconscionable for them to use such scare tactics to try to force people to book through them ---- give us the same deal as the rest of the world, with the same benefits and of course we'll book locally ;-(

I find it ridiculous that we can't get the same deals as US citizens. It frustrates me so much that I have cancelled my Rhapsody cruise booked here in Austrlia and rebooked it with my new US TA. She emailed this morning and said there would be absolutley not problem getting price drop after final payment. It would just ruin the cruise if I knew the price on my April cruise dropped and we didn't get it, especially as the cruise will cost about $3000 more than when I booked it last September!! I don't think that Aussie TA's realise what a network CC is and how we have so much access to cruise info on it. I wouldn't worry about not being allowed onboard. How gullible do they think we are!!!!!

That's ridiculous. I think we have freedom of trade laws here in the United States...and it seems that people from other countries should be allowed to book with whomever they wish to. Do you have access to Royal Caribbean online bookings directly? I'm glad it worked out for the raring2go. :)

hi susie- thank you for posting that message- i must say that this story is a bit longer than I originally posted... when I first booked our cruise, one of my group was talking to his usual australian travel agent (before he decided he wanted to book with our group) and I received a copy of an e-mail which he received, and kindly (not!) passed on to me, which ran along the lines of the message Aussiecruise posted - saying there would be trouble at the docks, that we would have to pay the extra money (we'd saved) - to whom????? :rolleyes:I have no idea!

anyway,at that stage, I immediately contacted my TA and she said it is shear scare-tactics and that our bookings are legal and completely above board - It's pretty low-down stuff I reckon!

pbhunt....

We haven't been on our cruise yet it's not until next year....

but we have fair-trade laws here too!

I have sent an email to RCL asking for their response re:-

• Whether it is a fact that they will not do the same deal for Australian booked fares,
  • Whether they will not allow international travellers who book through American TA's to board the boat.

I will let you know the response.

Hi Aussie Cruiser - Gosh - I get the feeling that you might not have a TA who is in the know - or is telling you "white ....". I used a US TA (on-line) last cruise and they were great - efficient. I have used the same one for this cruise and the lass I am dealing with is great too. Replies to my emails efficiently etc.

I did try to use a "Nth Sydney" TA, but their website stated that they did not work on weekends and when I looked at their site, they had very old specials still up on their Web page. I did not feel that they looked professional - so returned to the US agent - who I can speak with TOLL free or email 7 days per week.

I believe in supporting local businesses - but only if they can offer the same level of service/conditions.

If RCL do not give the Aussie TA's a fair go offering the same level of service and conditions, it is off to American TA's for me.

It is up to Australian TA's to demand the same rights for their customers, or they should refuse to book RCL.

WE sailed with HAL last Christmas. again to N>Z> After a quote from TA in Aussie who would not meet the one from TA in USA We were told that we would have trouble boarding At Brisbane, told us something like needing a GREEN CARD??WE were also told would have to pay. What and to whom??

However, agents in US confirmed no problems and no we didnt have any problems.

Didnt realise it was scare tactics.

Irene and Stan.WE will be at the ship early DEc 23rd.

Aussiecruize- I do not believe it has anything to do with the level of support from RCI head office - I believe it is Australian (greedy) agents as they've had the monopoly for so long, and they don't want to let go. Of course, I could be wrong:confused:

Supporting local agencies is a nice theory, but, I want the freedom to book with whomever treats me the best and gives me the best service and deal.

By the way, Princess did the same - they (tried) to stop australians from booking through USA- they might think they stopped it, but i've got close friends who have just now been on a Princess cruise (locally) which was booked with a very well known USA travel agent. There are ways and means;)

Archived