Question for Kiwi Ian

Hello - we are anxiously looking forward to our Auckland-Sydney Cruise on the Diamond in February 2009. I've been surfing these boards for months - looking for the very best things to do in each port. I am at a place now where when we dock in Tauranga - I think we just want to walk around - browse the shops, etc. (don't want to see buried villages or geo-thermal things) anyway - in a post of yours some time ago you commented that this (Tauranga) is one of the easiest ports to just "do on your own" -

you also mentioned an airplane museum - can you give more information on that please ?

Thank you so much !!

Hello - we are anxiously looking forward to our Auckland-Sydney Cruise on the Diamond in February 2009. I've been surfing these boards for months - looking for the very best things to do in each port. I am at a place now where when we dock in Tauranga - I think we just want to walk around - browse the shops' date=' etc. (don't want to see buried villages or geo-thermal things) anyway - in a post of yours some time ago you commented that this (Tauranga) is one of the easiest ports to just "do on your own" - [/b']

you also mentioned an airplane museum - can you give more information on that please ?

Thank you so much !!

I havent seen Kiwi Ian post recently.

Maybe check out his website for details

Ian's company is usually the one advertising at the top of this ANZ forum Not sure whether I can name it, but he advertises shore excursions in NZ - small groups and private tours. In fact, I can see the ad as I type this

Cheers

Bob

Kiwi Ian (who is originally a Pom) has apparently been banned from these boards. It is ironic that they still accept his dollars to advertise on this forum !

I have had the pleasure of meeting him (and bought him a beer) last year and I know for a fact that he was very concerned (if not distressed) by the fact that the CC moderators had decided that the excellent advice that he was able to provide on these boards was too "commercial".

Ian's input to these boards was in my opinion straight and unbiased. His aim was to promote tourism in NZ generally and Tauranga specifically. If his company was to benefit then it was residual only and because the facts and advice he provided was genuine.

The loss of his input is a loss to these boards

Kiwi Ian (who is originally a Pom) has apparently been banned from these boards. It is ironic that they still accept his dollars to advertise on this forum !

I have had the pleasure of meeting him (and bought him a beer) last year and I know for a fact that he was very concerned (if not distressed) by the fact that the CC moderators had decided that the excellent advice that he was able to provide on these boards was too "commercial".

Ian's input to these boards was in my opinion straight and unbiased. His aim was to promote tourism in NZ generally and Tauranga specifically. If his company was to benefit then it was residual only and because the facts and advice he provided was genuine.

The loss of his input is a loss to these boards

WOW !! - Thanks for the information - I must agree - his postings were loaded with valuable information - I will miss him !

When some friends found out we were going on a cruise to NZ they had us over for tea and talk, and they were a wealth of information. Turns out she's FROM Tauranga. They were very disappointed that we are going on an all-day tour to Rotorua, but understood why, but they think Tauranga is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and after seeing their photos, I'm inclined to agree. They say it's very easy to get around Tauranga and Mt. Maunganui yourself. They especially emphasized Mt. Maunganui, which is apparently where the ships actually dock. There is a path that winds to the top of the mountain (an extinct volcano, I believe) with beautiful views, and a road that's more direct and easier. They also repeated many times --- and later sent us photos --- that one MUST go to the Copenhagen Ice Cream shop, which is quite near the ship dock. They make enormous waffle cones, fill them with ice cream and everything we would put on a sundae. They do, indeed, look delicious. Jenny also said that walking along the waterfront street (I forget what they call that type of road there) quite nice. There are some lovely beaches -- and good surfing -- on the other side of Mt. Manganui.

Hope this helps a little, since I've yet to go there...........

Hello - we are anxiously looking forward to our Auckland-Sydney Cruise on the Diamond in February 2009. I've been surfing these boards for months - looking for the very best things to do in each port. I am at a place now where when we dock in Tauranga - I think we just want to walk around - browse the shops' date=' etc. (don't want to see buried villages or geo-thermal things) anyway - in a post of yours some time ago you commented that this (Tauranga) is one of the easiest ports to just "do on your own" - [/b']

Thank you so much !!

We are on the Diamond in February also going from Auckland to Sydney. OUr cruise begins on 2/10. Are you on the same cruise?

Marilee

We are on the Diamond in February also going from Auckland to Sydney. OUr cruise begins on 2/10. Are you on the same cruise?

Marilee

Yes !! - We are traveling with 2 other couples ... seems like we booked this ages ago and the date was never going to get here - now - it's just around the corner !!

Yes !! - We are traveling with 2 other couples ... seems like we booked this ages ago and the date was never going to get here - now - it's just around the corner !!

So you will be on the same cruise? That's cool. Drop by our roll call, not too much action but always like to have company.

Marilee

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it wasn't so much what he said on the board, but what he deliberately chose to say off the board and how he directed those conversations off the board, that wasn't kosher. For that, paid advertising was more appropriate. But I'm glad that CC members are therefore still able to benefit from the good service that he undoubtedly provides.

Archived