Travel Agent question

dwing18

What line are you looking to cruise on? RCCL does not allow any discounting at all by TAs - so if they offer a discount it comes out of their commission. That said, they probably wouldn't honor price drops - RCCL allows price drops right up to sailing just about. Make sure there also aren't fees/charges for canceling (outside of the line cancellation policy), changes, or price drops. Also, as those burned by recent events with TA's going belly up, make sure that you pay with a charge card, and that it's charged directly by the cruiseline - not you paying the TA and then the TA paying the cruiseline.

Honestly, if you know what you want and are knowledgeable - not a lot of reason to use a TA. Or - keep your booking until right before final payment and then xfer to a TA for some OBC or other offer.

I am planning a first time cruise. Are there travel agents I should avoid.

I am finding one agent is offering much better prices than other?

Is there something I am missing

I am new to this site and I don't want to violate any site rules.

Am I allowed to post an an agent's website?

I am shopping Carnival sailings and I am finding one site to be $200 less than all others including Carnival's site and other large ones.

I don't want to book, only to find out that many fees were not included.

I am shopping Carnival sailings and I am finding one site to be $200 less than all others including Carnival's site and other large ones.

No.... you are not permitted to name or give link to specific TA.

Personally; my suggestion would be to check many. many TA's both online and brick and mortar (TA's that actually have a place of bussiness you can go to) and compare not only the prices, but what they include Most websites will quote you the price without taxes, port charges and fuel supplement (except one...and unfortunatley I can't say which one) But what I do is I find the cheapest price I can online and then see if I can find a brick and mortar agency that offers a better price (brick and mortar TA's will offer more hand holding, than an online site most of the time not; always). One other suggestion, If I were you (and I know I'm not) this being your 1st cruise (BTW Congrats!) until you feel comfortable with the ins and outs of cruising, whichever TA you choose I would make sure I could go to them anytime and ask for guidance, questions, or just reassurance. Some TA's are not very good at hand holding! When you interview them (YES interview!) you'll get the feeling whether this is somebody that you can talk to, and get advice from or not, and then you can make your decision appropriatley.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!:D

Andy

find out about fees, such as how much it costs to change your booking. You book thinking you will never need to change a booking, I know I did and then my TA added a change or cancel fee per person.

If the price drops before the cruise, will the TA give you the lower rate? Or will you lose the discount. I ran into that with a discounter, the price dropped twice. I had paid it off early and they said the commission was already figured, so I couldnt have the price drop on Carnival, I needed to go up to a higher category and upgrade or nothing, so I took the higher deck, no biggie. Sometimes you cut off your foot by using a TA. The Cruiseline will not charge you to change your booking.

I completely agree with Andy.......take the time to look around, do your homework. The prices usually are about the same, but they have different ways spicing up the pot.....Pre-paid gratutities included, giving back some of their commission, % of cruise amount credited to next cruise, free travel insurance, discount for using a certain credit card, etc.

I have been using the same travel agent now for several years. She works thru an online agency, but is a local gal that lives in the same county. If I find a likely deal, I contact her and she usually can match any legitimate offer. Also, you have the advantage of dealing with the same person everytime you call, avoiding the necessity of rehashing every detail of your predicament.

There are also websites (can't mention which ones) that can supply different quotes from legimate agencies for cost comparisons.

So good luck....it can be a bit of a scavenger hunt, but usually it's worth your time and effort.

Robin

I am planning a first time cruise. Are there travel agents I should avoid.

I am finding one agent is offering much better prices than other?

Is there something I am missing

Plenty of stuff out there - just look and ye will find, trust me! Compare prices (i.e., make sure if they're charging you any fees in case you have to cancel and any booking fees). Sometimes a small booking fee isn't so bad if they're offering you an OBC (on-board credit) whereas booking with the cruise lines don't always offer you the OBC (sometimes they do when they have specials going on) and they'll usually send you information via E-mail.

Archived