Take the Cruise IQ Challenge!

Dan Askin

Freaky!! The IQs seem to change. I scored 232,626 and my IQ was only 165. I scored 270,xxx yesterday and my IQ was 178 but I played again tonight and scored 263,xxx and my IQ was also 178. Go figure!!!

But, I'm learning a lot of geography, so it isn't a total loss.

Hey Peregina,

IQ vs. Score can be a bit erratic at the start -- like the traditional IQ, the game "IQ's" are based on a particular formula that takes all samples into account. I can't begin to explain how the forumla actually works.

But just as an example, if you play early on and get 250,000k, and you're the only person with that score, your IQ might be off the charts. But as the number of people who play grows, and others get 250,000k (perhaps because they're improving), this can minimize the unique nature of that score. Thus 250,000k becomes worth less.

It can also work the other way (though it's unlikely).

It's all about your score in the contex of everyone else who's played.

At a certain point, it's highly probable (no guarantee of course), that we'll see IQ to scores regularize a bit.

Dan

I knew I should never have started this :mad:. With my obsessive nature, I have now been playing it for two hours -- I should know every port by heart now :cool:, but obviously I don't. Just have to cruise to some of these places I guess.

Best I could get was 243,754, with an IQ of 174. Oh well, just have to try again tomorrow :D

Bonnie

It's all about your score in the contex of everyone else who's played.

At a certain point, it's highly probable (no guarantee of course), that we'll see IQ to scores regularize a bit.

Okay, I get it--math-talk. As the sample increases, the numbers adjust. I can live with that and hope that everyone keeps playing till we have a large enough sample.

Dan, I just have ask. Is that 197 holding up?? You must have very good eye sight and a very steady hand.

Score is based on accuracy and speed, so I guess that there might be some handicap depending on the equip you are using --mouse vs. touch pad; desk-top vs. notebook.

Okay, I get it--math-talk. As the sample increases, the numbers adjust. I can live with that and hope that everyone keeps playing till we have a large enough sample.

Dan, I just have ask. Is that 197 holding up?? You must have very good eye sight and a very steady hand.

Score is based on accuracy and speed, so I guess that there might be some handicap depending on the equip you are using -- mouse vs. touch pad; desk-top vs. notebook.

197 is NOT holding up. I just hadn't updated my signature yet <shame>. Just played on what I think was an especially tough draw and got 166. Not sure I'll ever again be able to reach the heights of a near-200 IQ. I'll have to content myself with being a trifle above average.

No, I have not been playing continuously...

My latest score is 256,138 and my Traveler IQ is 173. Dan Askin, you're still a verrry bad man indeed... ;)

There you go shellbeachjim! That's one of the best scores I've seen yet. I'd be proud to put that type of score and IQ in my board sig.

This is a great game- thanks. This week is Geography Awareness Week- so what game could be more appropriate?

Hope someone can enhance the Caribbean map and make the islands larger.

Perfect timing, yes? As to the Caribbean ports, the map is zoomed in as much as possible, but there still a few ports (St. Croix, St. Maarten, Tortola) that are tiny specks at best. Couldn't leave those out though, so decided it would "add to the challenge."

• 2 weeks later...

I've found myself playing this game almost daily. However, I feel that I've reached my plateau, at least while playing on my laptop. I'm going to have to give it a go on my desktop where I'll have a little more control over my mouse and also a much larger screen.

My top three scores today.

272,740 IQ - 179

265,642 IQ - 161

261,742 IQ - 160

I have been playing for quite awhile; did really well on the US ports, Canada and Mexico. also aced Alaska but when I got to europe, especially the Northern parts such as Norway, Sweden, etc. boy I did not know that at all. it really is addicting.

Marilyn

• 3 weeks later...

Finally done - it took me 3 days and several tries, but Im done - final score 225906 - and that was basically guessing on the least level (Asia). It was amazing how nerve-wracking it was being on the final level. Im thankful I finished it before the holidays - it would have been embarassing having to miss Christmas dinner because I hadn't finished yet! :p:D

Archived