Valley Church Beach - what's it got?

John&John

We were at Valley Church Beach last year and there was a message consession on the beach. Does anybody know if she is still at the beach?

Since this beach has gotten very popular recently I would see no reason why massages wouldn't still be available. We were there last March and the lady who offered massages was still there.

We were just there last week. The lady that gives massages was there and working. The beach is pretty, water beautiful. It seemed like quite a ride to get there - we had a big enough group that we paid a guy named Gordon to bus us over. The Nest restaurant and bar has a small list of food, most folks like us were ordering one burger to share due to the rediculous pricing. I do have to say that their rum punch is unlike anyone else's, very different, tasty and strong.

Host Kewlguy- I had to switch cruise lines to get to Antigua but I'm finally going to Valley church beach.:)

Could you give me all the details getting there by bus I want the real experience with the locals and I now you've done this several times.

Is the bus stop on Market st or do you walk to the end of market St & turn right on another street? When leaving the beach do I have to cross the road for the bus stop?

I'm not going til January but I'll be waiting for your details on getting there.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

Host Kewlguy- I had to switch cruise lines to get to Antigua but I'm finally going to Valley church beach.:)

Could you give me all the details getting there by bus I want the real experience with the locals and I now you've done this several times.

Is the bus stop on Market st or do you walk to the end of market St & turn right on another street? When leaving the beach do I have to cross the road for the bus stop?

I'm not going til January but I'll be waiting for your details on getting there.

Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

The bus depot is on Market Street across from the public market just past the fork in the road you'll bear right. You'll want bus #22. Just tell the driver where you want to go and ask him to let you know when you arrive. The bus will drop you off across the street from the entrance to the beach. You will see a sign for the Nest Beach Bar. You'll walk along a dirt road to the beach. When returning to the ship you'll wait on the beach side of the road opposite of where you were dropped off. If you need any other information let me know.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

The bus depot is on Market Street across from the public market just past the fork in the road you'll bear right. You'll want bus #22. Just tell the driver where you want to go and ask him to let you know when you arrive. The bus will drop you off across the street from the entrance to the beach. You will see a sign for the Nest Beach Bar. You'll walk along a dirt road to the beach. When returning to the ship you'll wait on the beach side of the road opposite of where you were dropped off. If you need any other information let me know.

The buses go back & fourth about every 30 minutes?

What do these buses look like?

Is there a store where I could buy a bag of chips to go with my rum punch before I walk down the dirt road?

Thanks a million kewlguy for the clear directions, have a nice day!:)

Lisa

The buses go back & fourth about every 30 minutes?

What do these buses look like?

Is there a store where I could buy a bag of chips to go with my rum punch before I walk down the dirt road?

Thanks a million kewlguy for the clear directions, have a nice day!:)

Lisa

About every 30 minutes. More frequently on weekdays. I wouldn't recommend using the bus to get back to the ship from VCB on a Sunday. I attached a couple of pictures of the buses below. The bus numbers are usually in the front windshield. They are usually 15 passenger mini buses. If you don't see a number in or near the front windshield it's most likely a taxi. If unsure, ask the driver. Also you pay the driver once you each your destination. $1.50 pp. A word of warning, it can get crowded on the bus at busy times of day. Some drivers will literally squeeze as many people as humanly possible on the bus. If this isn't a problem for you, I highly recommend this mode of transportation.

Not a whole lot in the area of this beach. I didn't notice any stores nearby. You would probably have better luck finding your chips at a store near the port area.

antigua.guide.getting.around.buses_article.jpg.5c65a63a65ae57e27c98788c627c3bcf.jpg

buses_antigua.jpg.f789d5e559f4f76edf10570434019b1c.jpg

Edited by Host Kewlguy

The Market Street bus stop is the West Bus Stop and the one straight ahead is the East Bus Stop. Valley beach is to the West?

Yes, the #22 bus located at the West Bus Station on Market Street will take you to Jolly Beach, Valley Church Beach, Darkwood Beach, Turner's Beach and eventually end at Carlisle Bay Beach. In that order. It runs along Valley Road.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

Host Kewlguy- I can't thank you enough for all your help. I'm going on a Monday and hope to be at one of my favorite beaches by 10am.

Thanks Again!

Lisa:)

I'm sure you will have a great time. We are going back to Antigua in February.

Hey Sheryl,

We went by bus to Valley Church Beach on Thursday Nov 12th . It was simple. Getting there you walk straight out of the port to Market street

and make a left go straight past a lot of run down , some good deals ,

stores . About a 1/4 mile or 5 blocks down on the left is the bus station.

The walk in total took us about 15 minutes with an elderly man . My family thought I was crazy and I was like trust me I read about this the whole time I was doubting myself , but bus # 22 was there when we walked up . The driver was very friendly and because our boat left at 5 pm I asked him if we could get a bus back around 3:30 . He said no problem just wait on the side of the road , other side than the U.S. side .The bus is really a 15 passenger van, the fare is $1.50 per person each way. At the end of the day we packed up at 3 pm walked to the road 10 minutes tops . We waited there 10 minutes the whole time cabs pull over to ask you if you want a ride , this is important in case you get cold feet . But we waited and at 3:25 the van or bus pulled up with the #22 on windshield drivers side .

6 of us went there $10 one way total w/ $1 tip he wasn't expecting . Important

note for me , on return trip they were not happy that we had wet bathing suits . He actually asked you don't have wet bathing suits? Do you? We said no but that was a lie and you could see that our suits were wetting seats that school kids use for school travel . Because I lied I felt really bad and gave him $20 , $11 tip to hoping to avoid being scolded . He said nothing but I guess what I am getting at is try to bring a dry change for the ride home. They have changing rooms at the beach . We were back at port by 3:50 pm after doing some store browsing and dawdling and still back on board by 4:20 pm . The beach was beautiful and very uncrowded . We paid

$20 for beach chairs . Elvis was awesome to meet and a fantastic singer .

Food and drink were awesome , have to agree with previous opinions about the coconut shrimp . Lunch for 6 $110 w/ tip . Jet ski son and I $90 1/2 hr 2 machines , real fun . Drinks throughout day another $90 . Total approx for 6

was $250.00 US plus jet ski . about $42 per person worth it to me . Would

absolutely do it again , you have to see this place . Met people that paid cabs $20 apiece for round trip plus cab tip just to get there . Any questions I'm around . Have fun!

Hi Sheryl

Thanks for all this info, it was great. I just wondered, could you do Nelsons Dockyard where my DH wants to go and this beach as well in one day

The #22 bus does pass Nelsons Dockyard as well doesnt it, could we catch the bus from there to go to the beach

Thanks for your help

Hi Sheryl

Thanks for all this info, it was great. I just wondered, could you do Nelsons Dockyard where my DH wants to go and this beach as well in one day

The #22 bus does pass Nelsons Dockyard as well doesnt it, could we catch the bus from there to go to the beach

Thanks for your help

No it does not.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Antigua - we got the public bus out to Valley Church beach and had a good day there - no snokelling as too much sand in the water. The bus fare was US$2 each way. We got some sun beds from The Nest and negotiated a price. Our friends ate at the restaurant lunch time, but beware of additional taxes and service charge in addition to the price of the meal shown on the menu. Nice and peaceful - not too crowded at all but there were only two smallish ships in that day.

This will be our first trip to Antigua. We want to see as many beaches as we can in limited time. Can we take bus#22 and travel to a couple of beaches? Will they come back and pick us up or do we have to request it??

The #22 runs the route on Valley Road, round trip all day between St. John's and Carlisle Bay. You can visit many beaches (beach hopping) along the way. The wait for the bus usually isn't very long. Just make sure you're dry when entering the bus or the driver may refuse to let you in.

I wouldn't recommend doing this on a Sunday when bus service is very sporadic, if not non existent in the last afternoon. Although the #20 bus to/from Jolly Beach seems to run all day on Sunday.

Hi,

I have read quite a few threads of discussion about taking #22 to the beaches. It seems a convenient and economical way to go to Valley Church for our upcoming cruise.

With our children (8 and 5) in tow, I am seeking advice as to whether it is a good idea to take the bus to and fro the pier. (Crowded bus is fine I think, as long as we can manage to find seats for our kids.)

Thanks in advance.

CM