Valley Church Beach - what's it got?

John&John

Has anyone been to Antigua on a holiday before? Wondering if the #22 bus will still be running. Or if The Nest will be open?

Depends on the holiday. If it's a major one such as Christmas or Easter then obviously the bus schedule would be altered compared to a regular day. If in doubt you can check with the bus driver before boarding.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

Hi,

I have read quite a few threads of discussion about taking #22 to the beaches. It seems a convenient and economical way to go to Valley Church for our upcoming cruise.

With our children (8 and 5) in tow, I am seeking advice as to whether it is a good idea to take the bus to and fro the pier. (Crowded bus is fine I think, as long as we can manage to find seats for our kids.)

Thanks in advance.

CM

The bus is fine for the kids. If you feel it's too crowded you can always wait for the next one. The buses run quite frequently Monday through Saturday.

Depends on the holiday. If it's a major one such as Christmas or Easter then obviously the bus schedule would be altered compared to a regular day. If in doubt you can check with the bus driver before boarding.

I'm not sure. I'll be in Antigua on Easter Monday. Not sure if Antiguans celebrate Easter on a different day than people in the US or if this is some 2nd connected holiday (which could be less major).

I'm not sure. I'll be in Antigua on Easter Monday. Not sure if Antiguans celebrate Easter on a different day than people in the US or if this is some 2nd connected holiday (which could be less major).

I would think they celebrate Easter only on Easter Sunday.

I would think they celebrate Easter only on Easter Sunday.

"Easter Monday" is a public holiday in Antigua. Not sure if that is like if July 4th falls on a Sunday. Where Monday is still the public holiday?

"Easter Monday" is a public holiday in Antigua. Not sure if that is like if July 4th falls on a Sunday. Where Monday is still the public holiday?

The bus system isn't reliable on a Sunday. So I wouldn't think of using it on a holiday.

Were going to be there on Aprill 11th and we were also looking for an alternative to Dickenson Bay. We've also been looking at Turners or Darkwood which is in the same general vicinity.

Both very nice beaches, as are Jolly Beach and Valley Church.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who don't want to rely on the bus, the taxi fare is $8 each way. You simply go to the taxy stand or tour booth at the end of the dock and tell them you want to go to Valley Church. They will hook you up with the next available driver. As soon as a taxi fills up ( it didn't take long for us, we went as soon as we got off the ship a little after 8 a.m.)

We had to wait a little longer to head back- maybe 20 minutes, but it was an easy way to get back and forth.

The area where they drop you off get a little busy, but it never felt overcrowded. If you walk down a little ways, you can pratically have the beach to yourselves.

Loved it!

Antigua2012033.jpg

Antigua2012045.jpg

• 1 month later...
For those who don't want to rely on the bus, the taxi fare is $8 each way. You simply go to the taxy stand or tour booth at the end of the dock and tell them you want to go to Valley Church. They will hook you up with the next available driver. As soon as a taxi fills up ( it didn't take long for us, we went as soon as we got off the ship a little after 8 a.m.)

We had to wait a little longer to head back- maybe 20 minutes, but it was an easy way to get back and forth.

The area where they drop you off get a little busy, but it never felt overcrowded. If you walk down a little ways, you can pratically have the beach to yourselves.

Loved it!

Antigua2012033.jpg

Antigua2012045.jpg

Wow!!! this looks so beautiful. Def putting this on my list as one of my choices for my December cruise.

• 1 month later...
I think we will be going to valley church beach in August.... Is the water calm enough for a 7 year old who can't quite swim yet?

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No. There is quite a drop off and the current can be tricky at times. Safe for an adult but not recommended for a child. Jolly Beach might be a better bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My sister walks with a cane. If i get her a cab to valley church will she be able to walk the rest of the way? How long is the dirt road from the drop off point to the place where I will plop her down for the day ;) ?

Edited by ken987

Hello,

My sister walks with a cane. If i get her a cab to valley church will she be able to walk the rest of the way? How long is the dirt road from the drop off point to the place where I will plop her down for the day ;) ?

The walk isn't far at all from where the taxi's will drop you off.

The walk isn't far at all from where the taxi's will drop you off.

It's five years since we were in Antigua, we grabbed a taxi in town to go to a beach. The beach we visited was close to jolly harbour. It was a quiet stretch of beach with one or two bungalows overlooking the beach but sat back a little. There was a small bar where the taxi drivers, and a lady who appeared to organise them, sat in the shade of trees next to it. Any ideas if this is Valley beach or Jolly harbour?

Hope the above makes sense, we are visiting the island again and our friends are keen to visit the beach we raved about.

• 3 weeks later...
It's five years since we were in Antigua, we grabbed a taxi in town to go to a beach. The beach we visited was close to jolly harbour. It was a quiet stretch of beach with one or two bungalows overlooking the beach but sat back a little. There was a small bar where the taxi drivers, and a lady who appeared to organise them, sat in the shade of trees next to it. Any ideas if this is Valley beach or Jolly harbour?

Hope the above makes sense, we are visiting the island again and our friends are keen to visit the beach we raved about.

The bungalows overlooking the harbor sounds to me like Valley Church Beach.

Is there snorkeling off the beach or is there another beach you would recommend that has decent snorkeling along with a beach bar and facilities?

In all honesty, the majority of the beaches in Antigua have sub par snorkeling. At least all of the ones I've visited. The water, while beautiful in color, is cloudy. You can't even see your hands a few inches beneath the water. For better quality snorkeling your best bet is to book a snorkeling excursion on a boat.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

I see in previous posts that there was someone at VCB available for massages. Anyone know the price and if still there? We are going to be there in 10 days. Also, anyone been here in mid-September who can tell me if there is much of a breeze/area to get out of the sun? My husband has a heart condition and needs to stay out of the direct heat. Looks like the temperatures are going to be in the upper 80's. We really want to go to VCB but don't want to risk my husband's health. Thanks in advance for your responses.

I see in previous posts that there was someone at VCB available for massages. Anyone know the price and if still there? We are going to be there in 10 days. Also, anyone been here in mid-September who can tell me if there is much of a breeze/area to get out of the sun? My husband has a heart condition and needs to stay out of the direct heat. Looks like the temperatures are going to be in the upper 80's. We really want to go to VCB but don't want to risk my husband's health. Thanks in advance for your responses.

You will find plenty of trees that you can sit under or rent an umbrella to get out from under the sun. I wish I could remember if there was a message area, but I can't recall. It was a beautiful beach and great place to hang out.